Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First There Was The Bearded Clam.....
[Image: 1.jpg]

(PARIS) - A team of American-led divers has discovered a new crustacean in the South Pacific that resembles a lobster and is covered with what looks like silky, blond fur, French researchers said Tuesday.

Scientists said the animal, which they named Kiwa hirsuta, was so distinct from other species that they created a new family and genus for it.

The divers found the animal in waters 7,540 feet deep at a site 900 miles south of Easter Island last year, according to Michel Segonzac of the French Institute for Sea Exploration.

The new crustacean is described in the journal of the National Museum of Natural History in Paris.

The animal is white and just shy of 6 inches long — about the size of a salad plate.

In what Segonzac described as a "surprising characteristic," the animal's pincers are covered with sinuous, hair-like strands.

It is also blind. The researchers found it had only "the vestige of a membrane" in place of eyes, Segonzac said.

The researchers said that while legions of new ocean species are discovered each year, it is quite rare to find one that merits a new family.

The family was named Kiwaida, from Kiwa, the goddess of crustaceans in Polynesian mythology.

The diving expedition was organized by Robert Vrijenhoek of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in California.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press, All rights reserved.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
now all we have to do is boil it and find a sauce that's complimentary.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Mar 10 2006, 09:33 AM Wrote:now all we have to do is boil it and find a sauce that's complimentary.
[right][snapback]174311[/snapback][/right]

Yeah but who's gonna shave the damn thing before eating it? Eyuck :blink:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Mar 10 2006, 10:50 AM Wrote:Yeah but who's gonna shave the damn thing before eating it?
[right][snapback]174314[/snapback][/right]

I could swear Paparoach said that exact line one day a long time ago. ;)
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Yeah... that looks gross. Thank god I don't dive, I wouldn't wanna have to see those swimming around. :ph34r:
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
darkpuppet,Mar 10 2006, 02:33 PM Wrote:now all we have to do is boil it and find a sauce that's complimentary.
[right][snapback]174311[/snapback][/right]

hit it old school, hair and all.... you remember your teenage years don't ya :lol:
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
euro_zx5,Mar 10 2006, 10:36 AM Wrote:Yeah... that looks gross. Thank god I don't dive, I wouldn't wanna have to see those swimming around. :ph34r:
[right][snapback]174323[/snapback][/right]

you should try muff diving. the ladies love it :lol:
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Oscar The Grouch,Mar 10 2006, 10:03 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Mar 10 2006, 10:50 AM Wrote:Yeah but who's gonna shave the damn thing before eating it?
[right][snapback]174314[/snapback][/right]

I could swear Paparoach said that exact line one day a long time ago. ;)
[right][snapback]174320[/snapback][/right]

...oh geez it never dawned on me how bad that sentence could sound until you pointed it out :blink: Oopsie :ph34r:

NefCanuck
Did anyone else come in here with a different idea of what this topic might be about. I know i did and it was prolly closer to what meford was talking about.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads