Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Leak Problem
Has anyone had a valve cover leak that will not go away when you change the valve cover gasket. Could the valve cover be screwed?
Tantrik ZX3,Feb 15 2006, 05:19 PM Wrote:Has anyone had a valve cover leak that will not go away when you change the valve cover gasket. Could the valve cover be screwed?
[right][snapback]170637[/snapback][/right]

replace the gasket ( $60+ part from crappy tire I assume even more at the dealer ) I have the same issue and with synthetic it seems to seep through more than conventional oil.

it's a super easy fix 8 bolts and that's it. Paint the cover while it's off cause if you take it off in the future you'll need to replace that gasket again.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Holy smokes nass....you paid a lot. I think when i did mine I paid $15.00.

Or was that the header gasket :ph34r: <_<

I've done mine twice and it still leaks (once under warranty). Thank god its an easy install.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Feb 15 2006, 06:02 PM Wrote:Holy smokes nass....you paid a lot.  I think when i did mine I paid $15.00.

Or was that the header gasket  :ph34r:  <_<

I've done mine twice and it still leaks (once under warranty).  Thank god its an easy install.
[right][snapback]170650[/snapback][/right]

I didn't buy it heh, they didn't have any in stock at any of the crappy tires within 2 hours driving distance and yes that is a stupid expensive gasket. I wonder if gasket sealer will fix the issue? or those do it yourself cork gasket kits?
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
One thing to remember, don't over tighten the bolts, that too can cause leaks.
nass,Feb 15 2006, 01:54 PM Wrote:
Tantrik ZX3,Feb 15 2006, 05:19 PM Wrote:Has anyone had a valve cover leak that will not go away when you change the valve cover gasket. Could the valve cover be screwed?
[right][snapback]170637[/snapback][/right]

replace the gasket ( $60+ part from crappy tire I assume even more at the dealer ) I have the same issue and with synthetic it seems to seep through more than conventional oil.

it's a super easy fix 8 bolts and that's it. Paint the cover while it's off cause if you take it off in the future you'll need to replace that gasket again.
[right][snapback]170649[/snapback][/right]

Yikes...that's more than what I picked up from my dealership.

I have to tackle this later when it's warmer. But everyone basically nailed some good points:

- loose/overtightened valve cover bolts
- Also, make sure the surfaces are nice and clean when you're mating the gasket
Richard | Focused 24-7
2002 ZTS | Sangria Red | +400,000 km - most of it avoiding potholes 100km/h at a time

OFOC - Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | Redline Rendezvous @ Mosport International Raceway
oh sweet so the dealer part is even cheaper? that doesn't happen too often. Thanks for the heads up.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
nass,Feb 16 2006, 08:39 PM Wrote:oh sweet so the dealer part is even cheaper? that doesn't happen too often. Thanks for the heads up.
[right][snapback]170943[/snapback][/right]

I think my gasket wasn't more than $45 dollars with tax.

Ah well...I think this gasket is more an age issue than mileage related now. It seems now more cars are getting it.
Richard | Focused 24-7
2002 ZTS | Sangria Red | +400,000 km - most of it avoiding potholes 100km/h at a time

OFOC - Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | Redline Rendezvous @ Mosport International Raceway
When nothing works, use gasket maker.
I had mine done under warranty.

Gaskets are covered to 100k
I got alot more then 100k on there so no warranty for me. thanks for all the help guys
My gasket was $50......I hate stealerships.
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
I don't have problem with the gasket but I have oil mark around the cap since day one and it won't go away.
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....