Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*@$%! Digital Rights Management
DAMNIT!!!! I've been tricked!!!!

I picked up the latest Korn CD, and lo-and-behold, it's Digital Rights Management scheme is being a little bitch!

It won't work with iTunes, and won't let me rip or transfer files unless I install their software... HELL NO!!! I've snooped beyond their thin veil of deceipt and found that they just give you windows media files.. I want to rip in AAC!!

so now the fight is on... I'll be bit-ripping the hidden audio tracks to wav, the re-burning my own unprotected disc... so I can rip it anyway I want to.

I don't recomment anyone buy the new Korn CD or anything from EMI... because if you're like me and you like high quality rips for your home collection, but like to take MP3s on the road with you, you can't just do it on a whim anymore.

EMI and KORN BLOW!!!
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

When you put in the CD in your computer hold down the left SHIFT key.....
burn the WMA to an audio CD, then rip that audio CD with iTunes.
'03 Focus SVT
hardk0re,Jan 21 2006, 03:47 PM Wrote:When you put in the CD in your computer hold down the left SHIFT key.....
[right][snapback]166253[/snapback][/right]

that might work for sony's rootkit, but EMI uses a macromedia version... this thing is a tricky little bastard.. the computer cannot use explorer to view the disk contents, which means that no commercial software is going to do the job.

but where there's a will, there's a way..and I have the way and the will to make an unprotected copy... which I will burn for personal use... even the work around requires autoplay disabled. I think i'll leave autoplay permanently disabled.

So if I didn't agree to their DRM and worked around it, does that mean I can legally make multiple copies and distribute as that would be the exact opposite of what they wanted me to agree to?

FocusGuy7476,Jan 21 2006, 04:02 PM Wrote:burn the WMA to an audio CD, then rip that audio CD with iTunes.
[right][snapback]166254[/snapback][/right]

to get the WMA's I have to agree to the DRM... then I'm dealing with compressed formats that are lower quality than the waves I'm able to rip from the actual CD audio tracks.

the point is that I want quality... not what EMI thinks they can force down my throat.

Aren't they just using multisession, some software out there allows you to control this which session your drive will read. Since cd players only read the audio session thats all they get.

Is this not the case?
iTunes won't recognize the disk after exit everything.

i hate EMI too, swear i will never buy another one of their discs.
'03 Focus SVT
I Fakin hate EMI anyone here a MAC user? macs can read these discs.. without any intervention of the copycontrol methods. Another thing you can do is do what my friend did, write a leter to EMI's canadian head office, my friend received an import disc of the same album he complained about, which the imprt version was lacking was the copycontrol logo.. all he had to do was photocopy his receipt with the letter to prove he purchased it.
My other ride is your Mom
wow.. I successfullly ripped it to wav's, then tried burning the wav to CD and got a garbled mess... let's see if it'll do it after a reboot...

no worries, I win. :D

I think there is a case action lawsuit against Sony over this stuff. They try new things but there is always a way around it. I would only buy a retail cd if and when they offer the choice of picking the music I want on the CD and say charge $.75 per track. I am not spending $15+ on a cd for 2-4 songs.

Until the music industry realizes that it pointless to try to stop us and they're better off adapting and evolving their industry they keep fighting a loosing battle....like the "war" on drugs
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Have you tried dvd43.com or Alcohol 120%?
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
google CDCopy... it's seriously old-school, but it works great and even does CDDB naming of tracks. You can encode to WAV and then re-encode to whatever you want. Actually, let me find the installer - I'll throw it on the webserver for you.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
darkpuppet,Jan 21 2006, 04:49 PM Wrote:no worries, I win. :D
[right][snapback]166264[/snapback][/right]

this would mean I got it done..

it was just a matter of finding the right software... and you guys are probably correct in thinking your software will work, it's the same general concept.

and now I have an unprotected, un-compromised copy of the CD as well.

and now I can move on to my videocard woes.

Well I want to buy the new KORN and I have a worthless copy of the GROILLIAZ that I can't copy to iTunes. How did you "FIX" it? I am not very good with my computer but some basic pointers would be very helpfull.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
you too can copy Gorillaz or the new Korn by following these not-so-simple steps..

get a bit-level CD-ripper, I used cdex 1.51

disable autoplay.
If you have win XP pro
, go Start | Run...
type in GPEDIT.MSC and hit run. the policy editor will load.
In the left panel do the following:
-double click Computer Configuration
-go into Administrative templates
-go into system
In the main window, find the Disable Autoplay, double click it.
Set it to 'enabled', click ok.
close out the policy editor

if you have XP Home, you'll have to do the registry hack...(from the internet)..
Quote:Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer
Name: NoDriveTypeAutoRun
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 181 hex 0x0b5

Install your CD ripper and restart your computer

then insert your victim disk, start up the ripper software, go into the settings and set error correction (or jitter correction) to full, paranoid.

Disable any options that add silence to the end of tracks.

Rip the CD to uncompressed wav files (each wave will be about 10mb/min of music, so have lots of space). Only rip tracks with time stamps... or are not labeled as data tracks.

then take your favourite burning software (I used iTunes, imported the wav files into a playlist) and burn an audio CD from the tracks.

You now have an unadultered CD of original quality...

you can now rip this CD to your computer or do with as you please.

**note that I had some toubles ripping the CD.. if you end up with more than one or two Jitter errors, reboot the computer and try fresh... there are other settings that can help, but would be totally dependent on your particular computer.

but whatever you do, Don't accept the DRM policy that the discs try to force you into!!!! I can't comment on how easily that software is removed once it's installed..

http://members.aol.com/mbarth2193/

I've yet to find a CD it can't crack. A little unwieldly at first, but horribly powerful. Just rip to Wave and then re-encode if standard MP3 isn't your thing (and Steve IIRC you like AAC, no?).

I use it all the time, even on the latest stuff from Disturbed. 2nd last, anyways.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.