Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Buy Plasma
chinaman,Jan 12 2006, 03:04 PM Wrote:You sound cheap.  Who would buy  ED now instead of HD? 

For a 42" plasma you are looking at $5000 minimum.  Anything cheaper and you get what you paid for.
You say that you already have pixels gone on your better LCD?  Yeah, we don't mind looking at that black hole in our face all day every day, and still tell everyone plasma sucks and LCD is the best!
Stop shopping at Walmart,Bestbuy-Futureshop,TheBrick, etc. for all your electronic needs.  Nobody will find any highend equipment at any big box crap store.
To each his own, but don't try telling everyone that plasma sucks.  ElCheapo!
[right][snapback]164782[/snapback][/right]

plasmas suffer from burnt pixels, burn-in, and will reach half their original brightness in about 30,000 hours without any option to bring the brightness back up.

Even expensive plasmas suffer from these disadvantages... sure they've made a lot of headway to improve them, but buyers should know ahead of time what they're getting into. You're basically spending 5G on a TV I'll have to replace in 7-10 years.

it's true people should go to a proper audio/video store for their hi-end TV purchases, but 90% of the population don't know any better, or even less, care... the TV works fine for them, what do they care?

Plasma's sell simply for the wow factor, and now that they're coming down in price, you're going to see more and more common people buying them.

I'm sure companies will continue to improve plasma technology, but with SED's on the way, not sure what the point is.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

chinaman,Jan 12 2006, 01:04 PM Wrote:
05-BLACK-ZX5,Jan 11 2006 Wrote:So, on a Boxing Day Splurge, I bought a Samsung 42" Plasma flat-panel EDTV.

[right][snapback]164609[/snapback][/right]

You sound cheap. Who would buy ED now instead of HD?

For a 42" plasma you are looking at $5000 minimum. Anything cheaper and you get what you paid for.
You say that you already have pixels gone on your better LCD? Yeah, we don't mind looking at that black hole in our face all day every day, and still tell everyone plasma sucks and LCD is the best!
Stop shopping at Walmart,Bestbuy-Futureshop,TheBrick, etc. for all your electronic needs. Nobody will find any highend equipment at any big box crap store.
To each his own, but don't try telling everyone that plasma sucks. ElCheapo!
[right][snapback]164782[/snapback][/right]

In my first post:
"So, the point of this thread? If you're going to chose between LCD and Plasma, spend the extra money to buy an LCD, rather than being cheap and buying a Plasma like me, or you'll be sorry."

I never said LCD was the best, I just said I think it's better than Plasma. I was sharing my short comparison, and opinion, between LCD and Plasma, not complaining. Next time I'll let everyone know where I bought it, how I paid for it, and how I brought it home strapped to the back of my '38 rusted pick-up, spewing black smoke, and drinkin' moonshine while screamin' "Look ma, no hands!".

You can keep shopping at your 'high quality' stores. That's too expensive for me, I'd rather spend that on my car, and I think I'll keep spending my money on my car.

BTW, correctly you should say 'To each their own', as I am not a 'his'...
05-BLACK-ZX5,Jan 12 2006 Wrote:BTW, correctly you should say 'To each their own', as I am not a 'his'...

What are you, "Chairperson of the board?

How much ya want for the '38?
I say buy a TV that works for you for now, and invest the money in the Hi-Fi. That stuff will last you longer than the TV will if used properly, and a lot of stuff is future proof for a while too.

I agree that a lot of specialty stores are pricey, and a lot of big box store stuff is ricey, but there's always the other stores in between that sell a bit of both. I went with JVC TV and DVD (high models mind you), Marantz amplification, and Klipsch for the speakers. The Marantz and Klipsch stuff is a step above stuff you'll find at big shops, but it's priced realistically compared to a high-end snobby shop.

I once went to a shop that had a system wired with 3ft RCA cables that were $5000 each for some reason, and the seperate amps and preamps were about 15K each, and the speakers were worth as much as a New BMW...

I think you made the right choice in buying what suited your tastes and needs for now...you've got a wayyyy better tv than common consumers have anyways. Now just get yourself a nice set of HiFi kit.... :)
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
chinaman,Jan 12 2006, 05:27 PM Wrote:
05-BLACK-ZX5,Jan 12 2006 Wrote:BTW, correctly you should say 'To each their own', as I am not a 'his'...

What are you, "Chairperson of the board?

How much ya want for the '38?
[right][snapback]164813[/snapback][/right]

For you, $5000, because I work at a 'higher end' car lot. :D

*hiccup* :blush: