Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabin Air Filter
Has anyone installed a cabin air filter, and how difficult is it to actually install?

I'm thinking of installing one before the car starts to age and collect dust... plus the g/f has asthma so this couldn't hurt. And... dust pisses me off. :) (Yes AnthonyD, your not the only one... :lol: )
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
euro_zx5,Jan 11 2006, 12:18 AM Wrote:Has anyone installed a cabin air filter, and how difficult is it to actually install?

I'm thinking of installing one before the car starts to age and collect dust... plus the g/f has asthma so this couldn't hurt. And... dust pisses me off. :) (Yes AnthonyD, your not the only one... :lol: )
[right][snapback]164453[/snapback][/right]
The 2005's don't have the same setup to take a cabin filter. I looked.

I think I saw someone on FF jury-rig one up, don't know how well it worked.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
So I can't install one, or it takes a different filter?
'14 Escape 2.0t
euro_zx5,Jan 11 2006, 12:25 AM Wrote:So I can't install one, or it takes a different filter?
[right][snapback]164455[/snapback][/right]
From what I can tell, you'd have to cut out the screen they have in the place that would normally have the filter and find a filter to work. I have a black dashboard, eventually I'll put one in, I just don't have time to investigate further.
I put one in my 02 ZX5 and it took about 5-10 minutes to install. The hardest part was putting the the exterior trim back on at the base of the windshield. But I am not sure of the setup on an 05. Check this for basic INSTRUCTIONS

Hope this helps.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Focus man, Focus.,Jan 11 2006, 06:28 AM Wrote:I put one in my 02 ZX5 and it took about 5-10 minutes to install.  The hardest part was putting the the exterior trim back on at the base of the windshield.  But I am not sure of the setup on an 05. Check this for basic INSTRUCTIONS

Hope this helps.
[right][snapback]164466[/snapback][/right]
The plastic grate that is shown in the diagrams does not exist on the '05s.
you dont putt the filter inside that plastic grate, you REPLACE the grate WITH the filter instead.. thats how it was back in ''02
My other ride is your Mom
OAC_Sparky,Jan 11 2006, 12:23 AM Wrote:
euro_zx5,Jan 11 2006, 12:18 AM Wrote:Has anyone installed a cabin air filter, and how difficult is it to actually install?

[right][snapback]164453[/snapback][/right]
The 2005's don't have the same setup to take a cabin filter. I looked.

I think I saw someone on FF jury-rig one up, don't know how well it worked.
[right][snapback]164454[/snapback][/right]

Funny thing, AFAIK the '05 NA Focus can't accept a cabin airfilter at all, yet at the 20K service the service dude tried to tell me that part of the service was replacing it. Um WTH? Either service guy had no clue about '05s oor was looking to snowjob me out of more cash... WAsn't impressed that time...

NefCanuck
Well then... that sucks. I don't want an air cleaner in the car... I want a filter damnit! :(

That really sucks, why would they get rid of such a good option?!
'14 Escape 2.0t
NefCanuck,Jan 12 2006, 02:01 AM Wrote:Funny thing, AFAIK the '05 NA Focus can't accept a cabin airfilter at all, yet at the 20K service the service dude tried to tell me that part of the service was replacing it.  Um WTH? Either service guy had no clue about '05s oor was looking to snowjob me out of more cash... WAsn't impressed that time...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]164642[/snapback][/right]

HA same thing here I just put in a cabin filter brand new, the following week I went for an oil change cause I was still under warentee. Wouldn't you know the "tech" was telling me I needed to have my filter changed. I tell him I just put in a new one last weekend so he asks " well how far have you driven? "

I didn't answer him.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
paolo Wrote:you dont putt the filter inside that plastic grate, you REPLACE the grate WITH the filter instead.. thats how it was back in ''02
I know, what I am saying is that ther IS no plastc grate to replace with a filter; the top of the air intake is topped with a wire screen welded on INSTEAD of the grate.
NefCanuck,Jan 11 2006, 09:01 PM Wrote:Funny thing, AFAIK the '05 NA Focus can't accept a cabin airfilter at all, yet at the 20K service the service dude tried to tell me that part of the service was replacing it.  Um WTH? Either service guy had no clue about '05s oor was looking to snowjob me out of more cash... WAsn't impressed that time...
[right][snapback]164642[/snapback][/right]
Chances are that they (Ford) didn't change the maintenance schedule, the tech was just going by the checklist.

Why eliminate it?

Because it eliminates 2 or three extra parts and the employees that put them in. I'm guessing Ford figures 75% of the people never use/replace it, so it is one of those things that they could save money and nobody notice.
HMM, i was even searching the wix website and that had a listing for a cabin filter... unless they forgot to change it
My Mom Says I'm Special
Kool_ZX3,Jan 12 2006, 04:00 PM Wrote:HMM, i was even searching the wix website and that had a listing for a cabin filter... unless they forgot to change it
[right][snapback]164788[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, and thanks for that. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and ask my local Ford dealers.
'14 Escape 2.0t
euro_zx5,Jan 12 2006, 05:09 PM Wrote:
Kool_ZX3,Jan 12 2006, 04:00 PM Wrote:HMM, i was even searching the wix website and that had a listing for a cabin filter... unless they forgot to change it
[right][snapback]164788[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, and thanks for that. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and ask my local Ford dealers.
[right][snapback]164789[/snapback][/right]

I think most of these parts companies make some giant assumptions about parts. I just looked on Fram's website and they also show a cabin air filter as well. BUT, they also show the 2005 having all the SPI and Zetec engines too :blink:

I'd make the assumption that there isn't one on a 2005, unless you see more people with them and if you physically rip out the cowl to see for yourself.
Richard | Focused 24-7
2002 ZTS | Sangria Red | +400,000 km - most of it avoiding potholes 100km/h at a time

OFOC - Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | Redline Rendezvous @ Mosport International Raceway
GapBoyPCS,Jan 15 2006, 05:28 PM Wrote:I'd make the assumption that there isn't one on a 2005, unless you see more people with them and if you physically rip out the cowl to see for yourself.
[right][snapback]165220[/snapback][/right]
I haven't "ripped out" the cowl, but I have lifted it up to look. I have the filter in my Taurus, and have seen he ones in the Windstars, and there is nothing remotely similar in the '05 Focus, just the steel grate.
i was talking to one of the guys in parts at a ford dealer about this for my 02 focus .. and he said there are 2 choices .. the regular cabin filter or something they were calling a odour filter if i recall .. anyone know the difference? or heard of this
Below Average Car Club
schade,Jan 15 2006, 11:15 PM Wrote:i was talking to one of the guys in parts at a ford dealer about this for my 02 focus .. and he said there are 2 choices .. the regular cabin filter or something they were calling a odour filter if i recall .. anyone know the difference? or heard of this
[right][snapback]165225[/snapback][/right]

a hepa filter or a normal filter that is scented??
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
schade,Jan 15 2006, 06:15 PM Wrote:i was talking to one of the guys in parts at a ford dealer about this for my 02 focus .. and he said there are 2 choices .. the regular cabin filter or something they were calling a odour filter if i recall .. anyone know the difference? or heard of this
[right][snapback]165225[/snapback][/right]

I'm pretty sure the "odour filter" has an activated charcoal component, in addition to the filter media. It's also a lot more expensive, about $50.00 CDN IIRC.

Sorry to hear about the '05's not accepting the filter. It certainly keeps the interior of my '01 pretty dust-free. When I replace it (spring and fall), and see all the crap it's captured, I'm glad that I didn't have to breathe any of it in.
Old Ride: 2001 Malibu Blue MTX Street Edition Wagon
New Ride: 2010 Mocha Brown MT 2.0T Passat Wagon
Well I went to crappy tire tonight, and found that they now carry cabin air filters regularily... from a company called MicronAir. And on the listing for applications, the 05 Focus was there. So I took a shot in the dark and picked on up. When I got the cover off I realized there was a glued on piece preventing me from installing it as posted above. Luckily, the filter just fits above it and snug enough as to keep it from moving.

It's not restricting the air any more than having it installed properly, so we'll see if it makes a difference with dust in a month or two.
'14 Escape 2.0t
euro_zx5,Feb 12 2006, 08:10 PM Wrote:Well I went to crappy tire tonight, and found that they now carry cabin air filters regularily... from a company called MicronAir. And on the listing for applications, the 05 Focus was there. So I took a shot in the dark and picked on up. When I got the cover off I realized there was a glued on piece preventing me from installing it as posted above. Luckily, the filter just fits above it and snug enough as to keep it from moving.

It's not restricting the air any more than having it installed properly, so we'll see if it makes a difference with dust in a month or two.
[right][snapback]170010[/snapback][/right]
Can you take a pic of the installed filter
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cabin air filter drunkinmonkey 2 1,911 03-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Last Post: sonic_mikey
  2007 ford focus cabin filter? 07focus_st 2 7,082 01-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Last Post: ZTWsquared
  FRAM Fresh Breeze cabin filter with charcoal/baking soda! WuNgUnSVT 13 7,655 09-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Last Post: MuskokaZX3
  Cabin Air Filter?? dragerboat 2 15,084 01-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Last Post: dragerboat
  05 Zx3 Cabin Air Filter Replacement mikeb777 5 3,492 09-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Last Post: euro_zx5
  Cabin Air Filter cowymo 19 8,045 05-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Crazirich