Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would Cause A 4-channel Amp Act As A 2 Chanel
For some reason when I switch my 4-channel amp to 4-channel, it only works as a 2-channel. (just fronts)

When switched to 2-channel, all speakers work with no fader.

I'm out of ideas...can someone help me? What causes this? :angry: :(
4 discrete channels require significantly more "clean" power to run than 2. Just like why does my amp suck with two subs in stereo mode off a stereo RCA feed but one sub connected in mono hits hard (for that amp, anyways). Different reasons and contributing factors, same outcome. My amp is "good enough" for one speaker, but the draw of 2 kills it.

How clean is the voltage coming off that 12V? Can you ground a multimeter (preferably digital) to the trunk and disconnect the amp's ground and see if the voltage is within tolerances?

What make and model of amp? Knowing you it's probably a decent make. Hence why I'm questioning the voltage first.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Its my old 4 channel amp...a Clarion APX640.4 ..it has voltage input selector adjustment for front and rear...the amp is like 6 months old..barely used,,,
AnthonyD, how is it hooked up? do you have 4 RCA Inputs from your deck? Front R/L and Rear R/L? or just 2 inputs into your deck R/L?

how many outputs are there? 2 speaker terminals or 4 speaker terminals, what selector switch does it give you? 2 or 4 output? be carefull with the speaker output switch, sometimes the position for 2 channel will use the BRIDGED output of the 4 speakers, meaning the front right + and the front left - as one output, same goes for rear... and the ohmage is dropped to usually 2 ohms or lower.. let us know AnthonyD
My other ride is your Mom
All the settings are correct from what I can see. I can assure there is 4 outputs on the back of the deck. (There is more wire than a 747 in there)

I think it's a simple speaker wiring issue.

I just need someone who know's what they are doing to come and take a look at it. It's all forign spaghetti to me.
If we can get a well-lit area Friday night (or maybe Saturday), I could have a peek for you man.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
i GUESS ANTHONY IS IGNORING ME NOW!

I guess I dont know what i am doing...
microbunny,Jan 5 2006, 07:01 PM Wrote:i GUESS ANTHONY IS IGNORING ME NOW!

I guess I dont know what i am doing...
[right][snapback]163474[/snapback][/right]

Sorry guys, been busy.

I'll be driving tonight so I'm hoping one of you can look at it for me.
I'll have a flashlight.
As long as I don't have to totally freeze my nuts off doing it, sure thing!