Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microwave Snowplows?
It's a novel idea, but just like we all don't ride the Hindenburg to work in the morning past the Third Reich checkpoint... some things never leave the drawing table.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NefCanuck,Dec 1 2005, 05:13 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Dec 1 2005, 01:50 PM Wrote:Cost yes.

But think of the money saved in trucks plowing etc....

Not to mentions the billions of dollars wasted on patch mixture every year and the 12 guys at time-and-a-half filling them.
[right][snapback]158815[/snapback][/right]

Other problem Anthony is that those systems (Be they gridlines, waterlines, etc.) break down over time and they can't be "maintained" to prevent such breakdowns. It either works or it doesn't.

That's the situation at my condo right now, the heated ramp isn't working so now they're using salt until it can be repaired and a cheap fix this isn't <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]158854[/snapback][/right]

pvc piping?
you're all missing the point.

pay a mexican to spread the salt on the ramp, give them a map to the nearest salt storage thingy and he'll know what to do.

done and done
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
post # 3 was the funniest s**t ive seen in...well...at least 2 weeks.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
ANTHONYD,Dec 1 2005, 05:46 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Dec 1 2005, 05:13 PM Wrote:Other problem Anthony is that those systems (Be they gridlines, waterlines, etc.) break down over time and they can't be "maintained" to prevent such breakdowns.  It either works or it doesn't.

That's the situation at my condo right now, the heated ramp isn't working so now they're using salt until it can be repaired and a cheap fix this isn't <_<

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]158854[/snapback][/right]

pvc piping?
[right][snapback]158864[/snapback][/right]

Yeah that would mean it lasts longer but it'll still break down and be one expensive SOB to fix. Look at the 407, when all that concrete finally lets go it's gonna be on hellacious repair bill, heck, the company that owns it might even go belly up :D

NefCanuck

'course none of us are gonna be alive to see it I'm betting...
FociPhil,Dec 1 2005, 05:32 PM Wrote:post # 3 was the funniest s**t ive seen in...well...at least 2 weeks.
[right][snapback]158878[/snapback][/right]

Some of my least inspired work yet but look at where you live and that explains everything.

For me it is the opposite. Just saying Saskatewan 3 times fast in my head makes me ROFL.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Dec 1 2005, 09:32 PM Wrote:
FociPhil,Dec 1 2005, 05:32 PM Wrote:post # 3 was the funniest s**t ive seen in...well...at least 2 weeks.

Some of my least inspired work yet but look at where you live and that explains everything.

For me it is the opposite. Just saying Saskatewan 3 times fast in my head makes me ROFL.
[right][snapback]158923[/snapback][/right]

And he actually moved there. It's not like he can use the excuse that he was born there.

Or the excuse that my parents are moving to Brantford so I have to move with them and forever be a troll. :blink: :P
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
screw all the ideas let global warming settle this problem...........
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
Aka,Dec 1 2005, 04:19 PM Wrote:What's to stop it all from freezing again afterwards?

I mean, you run this microwave, heat it all up, melt more of it, than it all freezes as a sheet of ice immediately afterwards (cuz it'd be a fairly thin layer). So now we have skating rinks instead of salt and dirt/sand.

I think it's not gonna work in the real world.

I mean there's supposed to be drains and everything, but more than likely they're be covered with snow, so the water will have no where to go and just freeze.

Am I missing something? also yes I didn't read TFA.
[right][snapback]158856[/snapback][/right]

reminds me of last winter, on what i beleive was probably the coldest day of the year. They had a car fire on the 401 (i think) and the firetrucks where there just layin the water to it.

but they didn't think about the fact the the whole hwy was gonna freeze as the water was running down the road ... twas a nice mess

Below Average Car Club
meford4u,Dec 2 2005, 02:37 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Dec 1 2005, 09:32 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]158923[/snapback][/right]

And he actually moved there. It's not like he can use the excuse that he was born there.

Or the excuse that my parents are moving to Brantford so I have to move with them and forever be a troll. :blink: :P
[right][snapback]158926[/snapback][/right]

you both make very good points. lol

But then again, i would rather live in a artic tundra, with the same population of Richmond Hill, and boring as fuke...then have to pay insane amounts for tuition, insurance and overall cost of living, and not to mention gridlock...its tempoary tho. Im a starving student.

And its SaskatCHewan.

I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
That's exactly why I live in North Bay... fresh air, lower insurance and other cost-of-living expenses, albeit at a lower pay scale than the Big Smoke.

It all works out to my benefit. 4 minutes to the office, 30 minutes to complete forest and camping fun... and no stress but what I entreaty myself.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
schade,Dec 2 2005, 04:22 AM Wrote:
Aka,Dec 1 2005, 04:19 PM Wrote:What's to stop it all from freezing again afterwards?

I mean, you run this microwave, heat it all up, melt more of it, than it all freezes as a sheet of ice immediately afterwards (cuz it'd be a fairly thin layer). So now we have skating rinks instead of salt and dirt/sand.

I think it's not gonna work in the real world.

I mean there's supposed to be drains and everything, but more than likely they're be covered with snow, so the water will have no where to go and just freeze.

Am I missing something? also yes I didn't read TFA.
[right][snapback]158856[/snapback][/right]

reminds me of last winter, on what i beleive was probably the coldest day of the year. They had a car fire on the 401 (i think) and the firetrucks where there just layin the water to it.

but they didn't think about the fact the the whole hwy was gonna freeze as the water was running down the road ... twas a nice mess
[right][snapback]158959[/snapback][/right]

Haha! well you can't expect them to think of everthing I guess. I mean, they tried...

I still think the microwave thing is a bad idea though...
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
What about all the sterilized workers that get caught in front of this thing? Does that mean we'll get convicted child rapists to stand in front and manage the operation?

I kinda like that idea.

Ah ha! so we've solved yet another problem!
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Someone in Winnipeg was experimenting a few years ago with running current through the rebar to deice. Never heard anymore about it since. I test construction materiasl for a living and can imagine all the extra work this asphalt could cause. All kinds of stupid test procedures...waste of my time.