Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny Smell From Heater Vents
noticing a funny smell smells like burnt popcorn when the heat is high... anyone else have the same problem??
My other ride is your Mom
Any liquid around the passenger floor?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
kinda sounds like the heatercore ... can you smell antifreeze?
Below Average Car Club
i had a clutch cylinder leak a while back fixed under warranty, that was the only leak on the floor, i dont really remember what burning antifreeze smells like... maybe someone can take a whiff of my vent air and tell me?
burning antifreeze has a very pungent odour. Can it be described as burnt popcorn? Not so sure about that.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
paolo,Nov 28 2005, 08:34 PM Wrote:i had a clutch cylinder leak a while back fixed under warranty, that was the only leak on the floor,  i dont really remember what burning antifreeze smells like...  maybe someone can take a whiff of my vent air and tell me?
[right][snapback]158158[/snapback][/right]

I kinda doubt you could forget that smell... Burning anti-freeze makes my eyes water :blink:

NefCanuck
check your cabin air filter - maybe its green/black and mouldy??

i seen some pretty gross ones come out of my car
focus gone - 2005 mazda 6 sport gt wagon - lovin it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paolo,Nov 28 2005, 06:56 PM Wrote:noticing a funny smell smells like burnt popcorn when the heat is high... anyone else have the same problem??
[right][snapback]158145[/snapback][/right]

Automatic?

I've not experienced it myself but a toasted autobox is suppossed to have a "woody" smell.

That is "woody" as in lumber, as in logs as in ............ah forget it, you can ask the guys in Saskatewan about what the other kind of woody smells like.

[Image: ajt.sized.jpg]

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
my coolant level has been noticably low.. ive needed to top it off atleast 2 times now because it magically lowers itself?? BTW, I have a Stick, not an automatic.. I also had my cabin air filter replaced 2 times so far.. I doublt its that.
paolo,Nov 28 2005, 11:06 PM Wrote:my coolant level has been noticably low.. ive needed to top it off atleast 2 times now because it magically lowers itself??  BTW, I have a Stick, not an automatic..    I also had my cabin air filter replaced 2 times so far..  I doublt its that.
[right][snapback]158197[/snapback][/right]

I can't believe it but it smells like you have a cracked head or worse a bottom end job? Any discolourization in what is left of your rad fluid or oil dip stick look "milky" or "foamy"? (oil and coolant mixing)
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
^^^^ what he said :(

put some cardboard under it at night and see if you get anything on it after leaving it parked over night ... or you can always take it to a garage and have the cooling system pressure tested, and see if it holds pressure ... sure way to find a leak/crack head then.
Below Average Car Club
will xtended warranty cover this?
paolo,Nov 29 2005, 11:57 PM Wrote:will xtended warranty cover this?
[right][snapback]158483[/snapback][/right]
It should.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
2001 ZTS,Nov 29 2005, 12:14 AM Wrote:Any discolourization in what is left of your rad fluid or oil dip stick look "milky" or "foamy"? (oil and coolant mixing)[right][snapback]158201[/snapback][/right]
Did you check the condition of your oil? You might also check your exhaust ... even the smallest amount of coolant going into the combustion chamber will produce a strong smell and perhaps even some white smoke.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
You may have a leak in the car.
the car is going to be looked at by ford, but i have no idea why my exhaust would be the problem?
paolo,Nov 30 2005, 08:31 PM Wrote:the car is going to be looked at by ford, but i have no idea why my exhaust would be the problem?
[right][snapback]158659[/snapback][/right]
Check exhaust = diagnostic check. Check the smell of your exhaust gases for evidence of coolant leaking into the combustion chamber -- blown gasket or cracked block might explain the loss of coolant; especially if you find none on the ground or in the oil.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *