Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wtf Is Wrong With My Beater....
Alright now I just can't figure this out....everything's been good until today...driving home i'm realizing my dash lights are getting dim, my radio stops working.....I htink lovely its gonna be a cold night....barely make it to the canadiantire with my wife waiting there with the spare battery.

Now I just bought a new alternator and battery a few months ago, put in the new battery there and I assumed it was the alternator. HOWEVER, my typical test for alternator failure was to start up the car with the new battery and disconnect it while the car was running. I expected the car to die however it just kept on running....... :huh:

Any ideas on why this battery drained, while the alternator apparently is outputting voltage???
bad ground maybe?
or maybe your main (+) wire is grounding somewhere. I had a problem with a colt once and i had to follow the wire. I had a bad wire going from the batt to the main fuse box. My batt and alternator were both good as well.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Yeah, are your wires corroded or eaten-through anywhere along the way from the alternator to the battery? Same for the grounds.

I remember when I punched a battery clamp through the main wiring harness in my old Pulsar - super fun. Nothing like driving from Jane / Wilson to Jane / Eglinton in a STOP NOW - go - STOP NOW fashion. :rolleyes:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
It's probably the alarm with 2 zone proximity detection that's draining your battery :P

check what the others were checking, could be a short. Or could be a relay that rusted and stuck in the on position leaving some accessory turned on while the ignition is off.

good luck tracking it down.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

beaters heh...

The Justys Door bell started going off again for some reason <_<

Had to pull the fuse for it while I was driving, it was getting annoying. :ph34r:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I'd bet on the battery wires. The POS and NEG can get corroded to hell, get shorts, flaws over time. I know my bro's car was doing something similar to that and he replaced the wires (terminals) and no problems.
Think I figured it out....my accessory belt is done.
well another reason for battery drain could be related to the battery itself, in older cars you'd have to add water to the battery....... sometimes solves the problem if it is the battery.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.