Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart Cars: How Safe Are They?
http://www.incendie.com/Reportages/200511/...051122A_001.wmv

LARGE DOWNLOAD, about 20 Megs but well worth it. Extremely interesting crash testing on the SMART car. For those that don't know what a SMART car is, please refer to the thread I started several months back (link is below) and it includes various information on these 'urban' autos.....

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=59134

www.smart.com

---------------------------------------------------

Pretty impressive for that small of a car to sustain that kind of impact and still have the 'shell' of the car remain quite solid.
That's impressive. But at 70 Mph, like they say in the video, most people aren't gonna survive. I suppose its nice to know that the safety cage is solid, that can only help ya in lower speed crashes.

Personally i'd drive one. I think they're a unique little car.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Anyone wanna volunteer up their Focus? :D
pffff, I havent watched the video and Im not going to.

Smart vs explorer at 100km/hr? I dont care what the fawk its made out of, Driver in the smart will DIE. End of story.

:lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Very true, 70mph your finished for the most part anyway. What impressed me is that a car not much bigger then a golf cart can withstand that kind of impact. Just looking at the thing, you would assume it would be crushed like a pop can in a high speed collision.

Still very impressed. Been seeing a few more in this city (keep in mind I live in the grain belt so farmers everywhere) which makes sightings very rare on the prairies.

I am still very curious as to how they handle on the highway or freeway at high speeds on windy days. Seems like you could push one of them over.
Flofocus,Nov 24 2005, 09:30 AM Wrote:pffff, I havent watched the video and Im not going to.

Smart vs explorer at 100km/hr?  I dont care what the fawk its made out of,  Driver in the smart will DIE.  End of story.

:lol:
[right][snapback]157505[/snapback][/right]

You should still check it out man, 70mph into 20 tonnes of concrete and the 'cabin' of the smart car was actually quite decent, the windshield didn't even shatter, crack, etc.
i'm sure the frame, etc is rigid enough to take it. But larger cars benefit from the cumpling/absorbing the impact. In this lunch box you'll experience allot of impact on your body stopping so voilently.

That being said i'd still drive one...
Kind of cancels out the whole test.

CAR HELD UP GREAT....BUT YOU WOULD HAVE DIED REGARDLESS.
well seeing the crash I really must say impressive, my Brother-in-law was commenting that in Portugal the SMART cars come in the two seaters like we have here plus a 3 dr hatch, 4 door, wagons, and mini SAV's and he saw quite a few of them......

But really I'd like to see that test all over again but with a transport truck, mainly if it holds up well in that type of crash it would be more worth the money and waiting time to own one of thoses cars.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Hey Chad,
There is a guy in Saltcoats that has one, next time your in the area look for him. Apparently he drive it to Yorkton on a daily basis.I believe it is black.
2003 CD Silver SVT Focus
#21 of 2173
Ok, I'll tell. I haven't said anything because this isn't my proudest moment of driving, but I think I can beat the rap of hammering a smart car while driving. I was coming up Appelby in Burlington and I was cut off but one of these little bastard cars and I couldn't stop in time. My damage........none............the smart car...........right off with personal injuries to passenger. I was charged with following too close but the cop and one witness at the scene (thank god) both stated that the smart car was at fault and things will get sorted out in court. The other driver was charged with careless and making an illegal lane change.

So, IMO, after crushing one doing 45km/h, don't get one. I'll kill you by running over you. Not the side of front impact testing they do, but by literally running over the top of this little POS. See you in court.

Don't tell the wife, she doesn't know.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Nov 24 2005, 05:03 PM Wrote:So, IMO, after crushing one doing 45km/h, don't get one.  I'll kill you by running over you.  Not the side of front impact testing they do, but by literally running over the top of this little POS.  See you in court.

[right][snapback]157586[/snapback][/right]

Man, I knew the F150 was a heavy mofo, but squashing a Smart at only 45km/h? Hopefully Ford's put the new F150 on a serious weight reduction program :blink:

NefCanuck
(Remember kids, excess weight is a bad thing)
NefCanuck,Nov 24 2005, 07:33 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Nov 24 2005, 05:03 PM Wrote:So, IMO, after crushing one doing 45km/h, don't get one.  I'll kill you by running over you.  Not the side of front impact testing they do, but by literally running over the top of this little POS.  See you in court.

Man, I knew the F150 was a heavy mofo, but squashing a Smart at only 45km/h? Hopefully Ford's put the new F150 on a serious weight reduction program :blink:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]157610[/snapback][/right]

I don't expect most of you to know this, but the front bumper and fascia was redesigned post 97 and 98 F150 after there were a few too many incidents of the truck literally going over the top of small automobiles.

Watch out focus drivers ;) :D
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Nov 24 2005, 09:45 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Nov 24 2005, 07:33 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]157610[/snapback][/right]

I don't expect most of you to know this, but the front bumper and fascia was redesigned post 97 and 98 F150 after there were a few too many incidents of the truck literally going over the top of small automobiles.

Watch out focus drivers ;) :D
[right][snapback]157621[/snapback][/right]

Jesus :ph34r: remind me to never drive in front of you when you have the truck :lol: (Then again, if I can't see that big blue behemoth in my rearview mirror coming up behind me, I'd better park the Focus and walk :P)

NefCanuck
Frost__2001,Nov 24 2005, 12:03 PM Wrote:well seeing the crash I really must say impressive, my Brother-in-law was commenting that in Portugal the SMART cars come in the two seaters like we have here plus a 3 dr hatch, 4 door, wagons, and mini SAV's and he saw quite a few of them......

But really I'd like to see that test all over again but with a transport truck, mainly if it holds up well in that type of crash it would be more worth the money and waiting time to own one of thoses cars.
[right][snapback]157531[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, when I was in Austria a few years back I saw quite a few two seater smart cars... and many other multi-purpose vehicles from the same line.

I don't think this structure of the car is good, I mean if it doesn't crumple and break how is it supposed to cushion the occupants? I'd rather have the body parts (if I was in such a bad crash) crumple to cushion me and my passengers as much as possible (within reason). This sturdyness sort of defeats the old theory of body design.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
[Image: for4_brabus.jpg]

Smart premieres Forfour concept car

smart forfour BRABUS Concept Car. Böblingen, Germany –

A Smart Forfour with racing seat belts and a roll cage will be on display at the Essen Motor Show today, making its world premiere as a technology demonstrator concept car.

The Forfour concept has a turbocharged engine that delivers 210 hp, for a maximum speed of more than 235 km/h, along with a racing brake system and 17-inch wheels. Other features include an aluminum rear diffuser, Alcantara instrument panel trim and carbon design body parts.

Holy Crap!!!!! :o
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
wow, that would be fun to drive.

Die in a crash or not... :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Hey if a transport hits you on the highway in one of those things you'll probably clear a bridge like uprights ----- IT"S GOOD
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
Holy s**t, that brabus smart car is stoopid hot!

210 hp in that small ass car...OMG...i just blew a load.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
meford4u,Nov 24 2005, 04:03 PM Wrote:Ok, I'll tell.  I haven't said anything because this isn't my proudest moment of driving, but I think I can beat the rap of hammering a smart car while driving.  I was coming up Appelby in Burlington and I was cut off but one of these little bastard cars and I couldn't stop in time.  My damage........none............the smart car...........right off with personal injuries to passenger.  I was charged with following too close but the cop and one witness at the scene (thank god) both stated that the smart car was at fault and things will get sorted out in court.  The other driver was charged with careless and making an illegal lane change.

So, IMO, after crushing one doing 45km/h, don't get one.  I'll kill you by running over you.  Not the side of front impact testing they do, but by literally running over the top of this little POS.  See you in court.

As somebody who drives a car that's roughly the same size as a smart the 1st thing you learn is that getting in the way of a bigger car is a big NO NO so whatever that dumbass gets he deserves.

Laterz :)
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  07 Focus Least Safe Cars 2.0duratecpower 5 1,976 11-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Last Post: residentdud