Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel Minivans
November 23, 2005

Chrysler Canada considering diesel minivans

Windsor, Ontario – According to a report by the Green Car Congress, DaimlerChrysler is considering selling a Canada-only diesel minivan while preparing a major product offensive for 2006.

The company sells diesel versions of the Voyager minivan in Europe, as well as the Chrysler 300C and other models, but limits its diesel engines to trucks and Jeeps in Canada. The European-specific Voyager comes with either a 2.5-litre or 2.8-litre turbo diesel engine.

I wonder if they'd be able to keep the good tow rating of the diesel engines once mated to a minivan (car based) body? The 2.5 is good enough for 5000lbs but I'm not sure the minivan body would be?

2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
WOW. I was hoping they would make one. I've been trying to find a van that is a 4x4 diesel with 8 or more seating.

Chev makes a 2wd diesel van
Ford, same deal.

The only vehicle that we could find, without going to a custom job was a 2005 Ford Excursion. A whopping cost of $60,000.00.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I doubt these Chrysler diesels would be 4WD.

In addition to the Ford and Chevy vans you mentioned, the Dodge Sprinter seats up to 10 and is also a RWD diesel.

Is the objective towing? You wouldn't necessarily want a 4x4 in that case anyway.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Nov 23 2005, 09:49 AM Wrote:November 23, 2005

[right][snapback]157192[/snapback][/right]
The irony here is that these will probably produce less smoke than a slightly used Chrysler minivan does now.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
2001 ZTS,Nov 23 2005, 10:27 AM Wrote:I doubt these Chrysler diesels would be 4WD.

In addition to the Ford and Chevy vans you mentioned, the Dodge Sprinter seats up to 10 and is also a RWD diesel.

Is the objective towing? You wouldn't necessarily want a 4x4 in that case anyway.
[right][snapback]157199[/snapback][/right]

Its for underground. Diesel is required by law and 4x4 is required if the thing gets stuck on the mining access ramp. We would go with a standard underground carrier (John deere tractor or a Toyota) but they wanted a unit that would be used on public roadways.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Durango, Cummins I-6 TD, 22" Dubz y0. Big pimpin in the underground toniiiiiite.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 23 2005, 11:50 AM Wrote:Durango, Cummins I-6 TD, 22" Dubz y0. Big pimpin in the underground toniiiiiite.
[right][snapback]157209[/snapback][/right]

???? Where did you find this? I can't find it on dodge.ca, msn autos, or anywhere.

You having some eggnog early man?

Dodge did have Diesel vans in the very early 80's when they first brought out the caravans, but mainly they were used for commercial use and were often the panel versions.

Speaking of Chrysler minvans, for the 2006 model line up Yellow was added to their colour choice, I don't know for how long exactly but there are a few in the dealerships I've seen and I've seen two or three of them round town.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
ZTWsquared,Nov 23 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Nov 23 2005, 09:49 AM Wrote:November 23, 2005

[right][snapback]157192[/snapback][/right]
The irony here is that these will probably produce less smoke than a slightly used Chrysler minivan does now.
[right][snapback]157203[/snapback][/right]

Ah yes, the Mitsubishi V6's, the only thing that produces less smoke is a marijuana user :ph34r: :rofl:

A diesel minivan? That might have interested my dad if it was available now (The fuel economy on his '03 Caravan is horrific :ph34r: )

NefCanuck