Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euro Bumper ?
How much work is it extra to attach a Euro bumper to our NA focus??? I'm looking at purchasing some side skirts and a front bumper from someone in the UK, but would like to know if in the end it is going to be worth it.

Thanks
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
For installing a euro front bumper, you will probably have to trim a little bit of the steel rebar off the front end. You'll need some sort of tool to cut metal, and that's about it.. all the mounting points should be similar I think.
K

Thanks
Does the euro bumper come with the "crash foam" too? You should find that out.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
euro_zx5,Nov 8 2005, 11:19 PM Wrote:Does the euro bumper come with the "crash foam" too? You should find that out.
[right][snapback]154551[/snapback][/right]

no crash foam comes with it, no room for it.
'03 Focus SVT
FocusGuy7476,Nov 8 2005, 10:11 PM Wrote:
euro_zx5,Nov 8 2005, 11:19 PM Wrote:Does the euro bumper come with the "crash foam" too? You should find that out.

[right][snapback]154573[/snapback][/right]

My front bumper didn't want to fit if the foam was there...so no more foam!! Is that foam important???? :ph34r: :unsure:
Turbo arrived!
You're lighter... but less safe, theoretically. Are you now quicker in terms of response to negate the loss of the foam? Let's hope you don't have to find out.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
focusonthis_88,Nov 8 2005, 09:13 PM Wrote:
FocusGuy7476,Nov 8 2005, 10:11 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]154573[/snapback][/right]

My front bumper didn't want to fit if the foam was there...so no more foam!! Is that foam important???? :ph34r: :unsure:
[right][snapback]154574[/snapback][/right]

I would have trimmed it to make it fit. :blink:
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
I think you need a Euro bumper from a Left Hand Drive car, otherwise the bumper will be on reversed....
My other ride is your Mom
even if you trim the foam, there is only giong to be an 1/8 of it left to back behind the bumper.
'03 Focus SVT
paolo,Nov 8 2005, 11:35 PM Wrote:I think you need a Euro bumper from a Left Hand Drive car, otherwise the bumper will be on reversed....
[right][snapback]154601[/snapback][/right]

Hahah.. so when you signal left, the right blinker will turn on? ;)

Basically since the north american steel rebar sticks out so much further than the european bar, the euro bumper skin is going to fit a lot closer to the steel bumper not really allowing room for the crash foam. The foam is there to absorb low-impact collisions, like bumping the car ahead of you when parking or something like that.. so really as far as "safety" is concerned, the crash foam is optional.

Also note that a lot of shops will be very reluctant to do any cutting of your front rebar for legal reasons, if you were planning on taking it somewhere to have it done.
guilty,Nov 9 2005, 02:13 AM Wrote:
paolo,Nov 8 2005, 11:35 PM Wrote:I think you need a Euro bumper from a Left Hand Drive car, otherwise the bumper will be on reversed....

Hahah.. so when you signal left, the right blinker will turn on? ;)

Basically since the north american steel rebar sticks out so much further than the european bar, the euro bumper skin is going to fit a lot closer to the steel bumper not really allowing room for the crash foam. The foam is there to absorb low-impact collisions, like bumping the car ahead of you when parking or something like that.. so really as far as "safety" is concerned, the crash foam is optional.

Also note that a lot of shops will be very reluctant to do any cutting of your front rebar for legal reasons, if you were planning on taking it somewhere to have it done.
[right][snapback]154607[/snapback][/right]

Excellent to know, thanks! I will be putting forth the appropriate questions to the seller! As well my search will start to find someone for installation!
paolo,Nov 9 2005, 01:35 AM Wrote:I think you need a Euro bumper from a Left Hand Drive car, otherwise the bumper will be on reversed....

OK, the European rear bumpers are the same all over the world but North America, the only difference is where the fog light / back up light is set up.

RHD countrys - back up light is on our driver's side and fog is on our passenger's side, and is the oppsite in all LHD countrys. It's also why all the lights are the same but the head lights, as they are aimed for RHD / LHD countries.

IF you do a Correct Euro rear all you need is the following items which Mitch ( zx3tunning.com ) sells, and so dose Sasha ( euro-parts.net ) So before you cut / remove the rear rebar you can get the Euro Replacement without doing any cutting.

for a ZX3 / ZX5 Euro rear you need the following items.

Euro Rear Crash bar / rebar
Euro Rear Crash Foam
Euro rear Bumper cover ( 1998 - 2001 is smooth, 2002 - 2004 has the bump guard in it )
Bulb holders & bulbs
Rear back up light and or a fog light ( keep in mind you can order 2 back up lights if you don't want the euro rear foglight. )

Plus as we live in Canada, we have no laws currently on the books for rear Foglights, so you can have either a RHD or LHD Configuration for your fog and back up light combo it would be legal so long as you have one back up light on either side.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
For rear foglights, isnt it just that they are supposed to be positioned on the driver side? So for the UK, their rear fog would be on the opposite side..

Not sure if ZX3guy is looking for a rear bumper, he only mentioned the front (which usually involves cutting the rebar, as you'd know I guess). But yeah for the rear, the rebar is removable (the front is non-removable, ie. that's why you must cut).
Yes I am currently looking at purchasing some side skirts, and a front bumper for a seller in the UK.
Didn't BLACKZX3 have some for sale?
I have a euro bumper on my car ( 2002 facelift bumper ) and I never had to do any cutting to the rebar in the front, I just removed the crash foam and stuck the bumper on there, and put the screws back in place and it worked out nicely. :D

[Image: 000_0143.jpg]

But for Sure you'll have to do cutting for the 1998 - 2001 bumper as it has the turn signels in the corners of the bumper
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Yeah that's true, for different bumpers you may not have to do any cutting. I've heard that different year Focus' may or may not require cutting, the shape/size of the rebar might vary a bit, not sure if that's the case or not.

On the 98-01 bumper (the one that looks like ours, except with signal lights in it) it will more than likely need cutting to clear the signal lights.
On the 98-01 R/s edition (collection) bumper (the one with the signal lights) it should be the same deal as the standard 98-01.
With the 02-04 regular bumper or the 02-04 R/s edition (the version with no signals) you may not have to cut.

So basically, if you go into the procedure expecting to cut your rebar then you'll be happy if you find out you dont. Which bumper is this guy trying to sell you?
Possibly these two... not really sure... shipping might be too high!

[Image: stormfrontbumper.jpg]

[Image: aquafrontbumper.jpg]

Next spring, I'm going to be a different car! hehe!!
Oh, so it's an aftermarket bumper.. well you really wont know if you'll have to cut until you get the bumper and test fit it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Gen Euro Bumper On Craigslist Toronto Focus man. Focus. 3 2,141 08-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Last Post: paolo
  Euro Rear Bumper? Casper 10 4,161 12-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001