Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bird Flu Thread
Might as well have a thread since it is all over the news.

Here is something disturbing from yesterday:

Two migratory geese found in Neuwied in Germany are being tested for the virus, the Times Online reported. The BBC said they had tested positive for an H5 subtype and further tests were ongoing to determine the strain. German authorities also ordered that poultry be moved indoors and given only tap water to drink to cut the risk of exposure to migratory birds, which are thought to be transporting the virus, CBS News reported today.

I think to this point it has been domestic birds in coops or exotic birds in cages? Now it could very well be in migratory birds.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
It's going to happen.. They need to get a vaccine going, and just let it take it's course.

Holding back the flood waters until they burst the levies is just going to make a bigger wave to drown us all.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

everything you need to know from the CDC

Avian flu has been around since the early 1900's

Quote:What is avian influenza (bird flu)?

Bird flu is an infection caused by avian (bird) influenza (flu) viruses. These flu viruses occur naturally among birds. Wild birds worldwide carry the viruses in their intestines, but usually do not get sick from them. However, bird flu is very contagious among birds and can make some domesticated birds, including chickens, ducks, and turkeys, very sick and kill them.

What are the symptoms of bird flu in humans?

Symptoms of bird flu in humans have ranged from typical flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat and muscle aches) to eye infections, pneumonia, severe respiratory diseases (such as acute respiratory distress), and other severe and life-threatening complications. The symptoms of bird flu may depend on which virus caused the infection.
How does bird flu spread?

Infected birds shed flu virus in their saliva, nasal secretions, and feces. Susceptible birds become infected when they have contact with contaminated excretions or surfaces that are contaminated with excretions. It is believed that most cases of bird flu infection in humans have resulted from contact with infected poultry or contaminated surfaces. The spread of avian influenza viruses from one ill person to another has been reported very rarely, and transmission has not been observed to continue beyond one person.
How is bird flu in humans treated?

Studies done in laboratories suggest that the prescription medicines approved for human flu viruses should work in preventing bird flu infection in humans. However, flu viruses can become resistant to these drugs, so these medications may not always work. Additional studies are needed to prove the effectiveness of these medicines.

not gonna quote it all, but read the link...

darkpuppet,Oct 27 2005, 09:45 AM Wrote:Avian flu has been around since the early 1900's
[right][snapback]151940[/snapback][/right]

I think this whole avian influenza thing is media hype, just like terrorist plots and end of the world prophecies.

I do think that there will be somewhat of an outbreak, but not a global catastrophe.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I think everyone should take an hour and read the WHO's website and educate themselves about the H1N2//or whatever it is .....

it's worth your time to know about it and be educated....don't let the media play with you...

I read it for about an hour lastnight....lotsa s**t i didn't know..worth reading
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 27 2005, 08:53 AM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Oct 27 2005, 09:45 AM Wrote:Avian flu has been around since the early 1900's

I think this whole avian influenza thing is media hype, just like terrorist plots and end of the world prophecies.

I do think that there will be somewhat of an outbreak, but not a global catastrophe.
[right][snapback]151941[/snapback][/right]

Hope you're in Toronto then when it hits so you can get sick then take it back to North Bay.

If this disease becomes transmissible from human to human it'll be big... estimates are in the range of 50 - 100,000,000 deaths... granted most of those will be in Asia but that number is staggering. Last time we saw death tolls like that was in WWII... Of course the global population then was only 1/5 of what it is today...
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
They actually want to cancel the Royal Winter Fair this year.
ANTHONYD,Oct 27 2005, 01:41 PM Wrote:They actually want to cancel the Royal Winter Fair this year.
[right][snapback]152037[/snapback][/right]

would they ever do that?

There is serious talk about it.

The other suggestion was that they will put the poultry exibit behing bio glass... What has this world come to?
Raine,Oct 27 2005, 01:36 PM Wrote:Hope you're in Toronto then when it hits so you can get sick then take it back to North Bay.

[right][snapback]152032[/snapback][/right]

I'll probably get it when going to my first GTA meet. Oh well, I'll take all you with me!
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Raine,Oct 27 2005, 12:36 PM Wrote:
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 27 2005, 08:53 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]151941[/snapback][/right]

Hope you're in Toronto then when it hits so you can get sick then take it back to North Bay.

If this disease becomes transmissible from human to human it'll be big... estimates are in the range of 50 - 100,000,000 deaths... granted most of those will be in Asia but that number is staggering. Last time we saw death tolls like that was in WWII... Of course the global population then was only 1/5 of what it is today...
[right][snapback]152032[/snapback][/right]

Raine....

currently more than half the people that contract the disease die....all of whom are otherwise healthy...

like i said...you have to read the WHO website [world health organization] and educate yourself....I'll even link you to the FAQ

here are the cold, hard facts.....you ar TOTALLY underestimating the possibility of this pandemic...

IF it does mutate and become transmittable between humans, BEST CASE SCENARIO with people only being mildly diseased 2-7.4 million people will die world wide.

The more the disease is spread around the world via wildlife...the better chances it has to mutate itself and become transmittable between humans.

previous pandemics were in 1918, 1957, 1968 ....in 1918 40million people died world wide ....the mortality rate of the USA was 2.5%

It is currently transmitted via fecies[sp] of the birds,[which come in contact with humas...] and their intestines and what not from processing them for food.

see in parts of europe the birds run free on the peoples land...shitting everywhere...entering homes...and as a result people touching them while they are dirty[the birds] and BAM...they get the disease

anyways....none of this will happen if

a]it doesn't get a chance to go from human to human
b]99% of the birds in the world don't get it before we stop the spread amongst them
c] we have a viable cure to supply to everyone

read the site i linked you guys too....quite intersting...although it may be construed as propaganda....but its all quite factual really....