Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is The Difference Between A P4 And Centrino?
Raine,Oct 18 2005, 06:25 PM Wrote:Okay well I'm in no immediate rush... and a 3.2 would do me just as well as a 3.4. Wouldn't necessarily go for this model but here's just one example of a P4 3.2 with HT (800 mhz FSB)...

Laptop with HT

That's a nice unit but the video memory is only 64 mb... I want something upwards of 128...
[right][snapback]149995[/snapback][/right]

An HP Compaq... ouch. Watch out with those. Working with them, they get extremely hot! Ridiculously hot actually! Components must not last long in those systems. Not that ive ever owned one, but knowing that I should be able to make a decent conclusion that the components won't last very long.

Mmm... forget that one. Check this HT out: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...10062584&catid=

Better value imo.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
euro_zx5,Oct 18 2005, 07:25 PM Wrote:Mmm... forget that one. Check this HT out: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...10062584&catid=

Better value imo.
[right][snapback]150000[/snapback][/right]

I have that labtop, and I would definately recommend it! I upgraded to a gig of memory and even the newest games run great on med-high settings and it has a lot of power for multiple programs (i'm a student so I always have many programs going at once). I hear that Toshiba's are the most reliable as well (purely word of mouth). I have only owned mine since mid august so I cant tell you about long term reliability or problems, but I purchased the extended warranty just in case. Im a paranoid guy about expensive electronics lol. It also has a lot of built in features that appealed to me, it comes with the software needed to produce media presentations etc and it also comes with Microsoft Onenote, which IMO is the best student software program ever! I have never seen a program like it, and I love using it.

Long story short i'd recommend it to you raine, as a matter of fact I was about to find the link to it, but euro beat me to it :P
Raine,Oct 18 2005, 01:19 PM Wrote:My laptop was killed in the flood Aug 19th, and I'm looking to get a new one. As I've been shopping around, I've noticed there are as always comparable AMD and Pentium models, but then there are P4's and Centrino based machines. From what I can tell, the speed on Centrinos seems slower (average 1.7 ghz) but the price is consistantly higher. I want a high performer.. dvd playback, wifi, bluetooth if possible, all the bells and whistles. What is the better machine to go with and why?
[right][snapback]149906[/snapback][/right]

With all the emphasis on looks these days why would you want blue teeth?

Sorry. :rolleyes:
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
toshibas rock
ive had mine for 2 years and the only problems ive had were my fault. i broke 2 of my arrow keys from playing games and something happend to my screen, but it was cause by the way i was carrying it in my bag. ive also heard toshibas are at the top for laptops. this is what i bought 2 years ago and it wil still outperform most of the centrinos out. i used to get 3 hrs of battery out of it doing minimal stuff and with every set to low.
i paid $2600 for
p4 2.8ghz
512 ddr
80 gig hard drive
64 mb nvidia geforce
cdrw/dvd rom
wireless
one drawback is this thing is heavy
my next computer will also be a toshiba

'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
My old one was a compaq, ridiculously reliable... it got hot like hell as you said but never gave me a day of problem.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Well I'd ask what are you using it for more ?

if you plan on using it for a lot of gaming then P4 is the best option for that, and if not and your using it for everything else then I don't see a problem with the Centrino. Battery life is a good thing when your using a lap top for things like school, or work more so when your needing it on when you need it. But really if you are using it for gaming or downloading only then concider getting a regular PC with a P4 in it.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
crazikev,Oct 18 2005, 02:52 PM Wrote:so it sounds like this

centrino = SPI
P4 = Zetec
[right][snapback]149938[/snapback][/right]

This is a terrible comparison, dont think of it this way there are so many other things to factor in.

If its for mobility go for a centrino but if its the occational goin out for a bit only to do 2 hours of work then go with the p4 and save about 400 bucks.

I dunno my sister has an AMD laptop and its shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhit, its takes longer to load up certain things then her p3 667.
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
D-Dub,Oct 20 2005, 06: Wrote:
crazikev,Oct 18 2005, 02:52 PM Wrote:so it sounds like this

centrino = SPI
P4 = Zetec
[right][snapback]149938[/snapback][/right]

This is a terrible comparison, dont think of it this way there are so many other things to factor in.

If its for mobility go for a centrino but if its the occational goin out for a bit only to do 2 hours of work then go with the p4 and save about 400 bucks.

I dunno my sister has an AMD laptop and its shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhit, its takes longer to load up certain things then her p3 667.
[right][snapback]150518[/snapback][/right]

probably cause of the hard drive. If the hdd is a 4200rpm, it will suck ass, get at least a 5400 or 7200.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
How did I miss this?

P4 - lotta heat, old school.

Pentium-M (Centrino technology) - low heat, high performance. Excellent battery life. I've had 2 now at work (2nd one was an offered upgrade) and they're actually quite nice. I love the 6+ hours of battery life with both batteries installed.

A64 Turion - AMD's equivalent to the Pentium-M in terms of battery life, but even better CPU performance. And it has 64-bit support for Windows Vista. Very nice. If Dell sold AMD, I'd be harassing my boss 24/7 for a laptop with an AMD Turion in it.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 20 2005, 07:26 PM Wrote:How did I miss this?

P4 - lotta heat, old school.

the irony is that Pentium M is old school, while P4 is the new school.

only intel screwed up.. net burst is too limited. While Pentium M - type architecture based on the pentium 3 is the move forward.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Yeah P3/P6 technology is the way forward, as it always should have been. NetBurst was a bad idea that turned into the weirdest 4 years EVER for Intel.

Although, the thing to remember when comparing P-M and Turion laptops is that the claimed TDP for each processor is 100% load for AMD, and 75% load for the Intel.

So... AMD claims 35W dissipated. That's at 100% CPU load.

Intel claims 25W dissipated, that's at 75% CPU load.

What I really don't like about the new P-M offerings from Dell is that they use dual-channel DDR2 memory. Total bandwidth on my new laptop (2x512MB, DDR2-400, P-M 1.73GHz) - <3GB/sec. Not much better than the single-channel DDR333 I had on the old one.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.