Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ottawa Has Right To Sell Alberta's Oil
if you're digging in the backyard and you strike oil. Does that oil belong to you or to the country?
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,Feb 5 2006, 01:43 PM Wrote:if you're digging in the backyard and you strike oil. Does that oil belong to you or to the country?[right][snapback]168535[/snapback][/right]
Good question ... and it goes right to the heart of the matter.

And the answer is “it depends on who you are and where you live” because that will determine who owns the subsurface mineral rights.

In Canada land ownership is typically “fee simple” which is to say it does not include subsurface mineral rights, and includes limited water and air rights. Individual land owners for the most part do not own the subsurface mineral rights anywhere in Canada, except for some Native lands per recent agreements and in some legacy situations.

In Alberta for example, oil and gas rights beneath 81% of the province’s surface area is owned by the “Crown in right of Alberta.” – which is to say the province.

The oil and gas rights beneath 16 million acres is privately owned and the Encana Corporation owns the majority of this. Individuals who are the descendants of Alberta’s original homesteaders (and got subsurface rights with their land) are the registered owners of the oil and gas rights beneath about 6 million acres.

If I’ve read the article correctly however, it doesn’t seem like Ottawa is claiming ownership of the rights, simply that they should have a say in how the resource is developed and who it gets sold to.

Aren’t you glad you asked?

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Actually I am, cause for once someone has something interesting to say on the subject! hah kidding. but I always wondered that and you sorta answered it, for Alberta anyways. I agree that the government should step in and give it's opinion as to how the resource is used and what not.
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending