Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Search Networking
As some of you know, I've been unemployed for a year and a half. I recently started a two week job search program where I've been learning the latest trends in resume writing, cover letters, networking, cold calling etc...etc..

So, as part of the program, here I am "networking" on the internet. Anyone know any Security Officer jobs out there? I know there are plenty of security guard agencies, but I'm not ready to go that route. I'm looking for something in-house.

Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

hmmm... both my brothers work for security companies.

What excatly are you looking for? Give me and idea of the field or job decsription, and ill ask them if they know of anywhere.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
I'm looking for a simple alarm monitoring, access control, foot patrol type position. I did over ten years security in a data centre before three years as a computer operator, but I've kinda given up on computers.
Are you in the GTA area?
Have you tried appling at Person ? I think they are looking for more people in that feild.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
ZTWsugardaddy,Oct 6 2005, 09:55 PM Wrote:I'm looking for a simple alarm monitoring, access control, foot patrol type position.  I did over ten years security in a data centre before three years as a computer operator, but I've kinda given up on computers. 
Are you in the GTA area?
[right][snapback]147169[/snapback][/right]

sorry to tell you this but you are over qualified for any security jobs,

you speak and write english. Sorry
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Try applying at the mining companies (Falconbridge, Inco, Teck Conmico, Placer Dome) A lot of these companies have security working main entrances, especially at gold smelters.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
check the papers, always secruity postings, hospitals, factories, office buildings. Just go and apply in person. Who cares if there is a posting or not, just show up and start talking to people, someone will eventually lead you to the right person to talk to about security...........a year and a half is a long time to be out of security work, well unless it is high security......then that is acceptable............one of my buddies picked up a secrurity job at hospitals from an add in the paper..............it was only like 10$/hr but it';s still money
theres a quota?

nobody has asked me for where i applied?
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
crazikev,Oct 6 2005, 11:42 PM Wrote:theres a quota?

nobody has asked me for where i applied?
[right][snapback]147224[/snapback][/right]
The quota is for my participation in the job search program. They will be charting my efforts (resumes sent, networking, cold calls etc...) for the next week.

I did have three interviews about two months ago, but no job offers. All were in the $13.50 to $15.00 hourly range. I use to be grossly overpaid at $22.00/hour before they reclassified me down to $17.00. This was over five years ago. I probably won't accept anything below $13.00/hour.
A friend of mine makes good money delivering papers...you got it delivering papers....who would think spending 4h a day he takes in a 35k salary. Now thats not going to do much for anybody living in the GTA, but its 4h a day, 2.5 if you push yourself...

We had some internal posting for Operations Personnel, Central Station Alarm Monitoring etc.
Give me a week to see if anythings still open. You can always use me as a ref if your applying to Intercon.
j3rt,Oct 10 2005, 12:46 AM Wrote:We had some internal posting for Operations Personnel, Central Station Alarm Monitoring etc.
Give me a week to see if anythings still open.  You can always use me as a ref if your applying to Intercon.
[right][snapback]147788[/snapback][/right]
Thanks Jeremy, I did apply to Intercon a few months ago when they posted "Special Assignment Group" positions for $15/hour. They called me, asked a few questions, and determined I didn't qualify. They then asked if I wanted to answer a few questions to determine if I qualify for a $10/hour position. I said "no thanks".
sorry, ive been away all weekend. Both my brothers work sercuirty jobs in the GTA, whre i am originally from.

One is the front desk guy at an condo at younge and sheppard. The other for an office building at Mt. pleasant and eglington. They both work for the saem compnay that has contracts throughout the gta.

Nest time i talk to him ill ask him if there are any openings, keeping in mind the pay rate.
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
Why not take something at $10/hr to start and then work your way up quickly?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 18 2005, 01:21 PM Wrote:Why not take something at $10/hr to start and then work your way up quickly?
[right][snapback]149819[/snapback][/right]

I will if/when I'm desperate. I'm being picky until my savings run out.
The position they had posted about internally is in interview stages right now.
I emailed the guy in charge about you. I'll let you know what I hear.
j3rt,Oct 24 2005, 01:25 AM Wrote:The position they had posted about internally is in interview stages right now.
I emailed the guy in charge about you.  I'll let you know what I hear.
[right][snapback]151034[/snapback][/right]

Thanks Jeremy.

I had an interview this morning in Mississauga for a security job in Scarborough. I was a little late because of a vehicle fire at Yonge/401. I'm sure that affected my chances.