Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Student Group Outraged Over Upcoming Tuition Hikes
For many university and college students, coming up with the money to pay for school may actually present more of a challenge than finishing the academic year with top marks. I so agree with this opening statement here too.....

Full Story
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
And us people that work hard and pay taxes in this glorious country help subsidize those tuitions. What does a year of Canadian University tuition cost now, $5,000-$7,000? And what is it in the U.S., about $20,000US or more? (it's been a few years).
Students in Canada need to remember how good they got it!
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
CanadaSVT,Oct 1 2005, 09:43 PM Wrote:And us people that work hard and pay taxes in this glorious country help subsidize those tuitions.  What does a year of Canadian University tuition cost now, $5,000-$7,000?  And what is it in the U.S., about $20,000US or more?  (it's been a few years).
Students in Canada need to remember how good they got it!
[right][snapback]146053[/snapback][/right]

Agreed.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
actually tuition can range anywhere from $7g - 40g depending on the courses and years involved in taking them. My former co-worker spend more then $90,000 on his education and that was over 6 years.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
tuition in the USA is actually really cheap if your a student going to school within your state of residence ... i looked into going to penn state, michigan state, and texasA&M and they would have cost me $30g's a year/american. cuz i was an out of state/country student.

it just costs stupid amounts of money these days. And good luck finding a job nowadays without a uni/collage degree of some sort.

about 10 years ago tuition in ontario was like a grand? if i recall
Below Average Car Club
schade,Oct 3 2005, 12:32 AM Wrote:about 10 years ago tuition in ontario was like a grand? if i recall
[right][snapback]146198[/snapback][/right]
Umm, no.

Depending on the program it was $2-$6k even 20 years ago when I graduated, not including residence.

And to give you an idea, a line worker at Ford would make $30k back then. You have to to keep it in perspective, a 1988 Cougar would be $15k.

{Yes, it sucks being old.}
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Oct 3 2005, 08:42 AM Wrote:
schade,Oct 3 2005, 12:32 AM Wrote:about 10 years ago tuition in ontario was like a grand? if i recall
[right][snapback]146198[/snapback][/right]

{Yes, it sucks being old.}
[right][snapback]146225[/snapback][/right]
And having the last name Scott :P
CanadaSVT,Oct 3 2005, 12:21 PM Wrote:And having the last name Scott :P
[right][snapback]146281[/snapback][/right]
F :censored2: k you!

:lol:
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
I finished my tour of duty with the Canadian post-secondary system not too long ago, and those who choose to go and better themselves and then complain about the cost need to shut the damn up. Seriously.

If you have the will to get either a college diploma or a Bachelor's degree, you won't be flipping burgers (at least not for long) as long as you FOLLOW THROUGH after you graduate. Move, network, work part-time and do odd jobs even. Do what it takes to show the right company you have what it takes to work for them, and the rest is cake.

I can't count the number of guys I graduated with that didn't even end up in direct IT-related jobs. They went back to call centers to work with the guys that dropped out. You know what? They ALL bitch about paying the government back for the OSAP they borrowed.

If you bust your ass and prove your worth, you know what your monthly OSAP repayment amount is? Just another automatic payment once a month that you budget for and treat like a car payment or insurance or whatever helps you sleep at night. You can crank it up if money and your budget allows, too... so you're not stuck paying the minimum amount.

Seriously, the reason I didn't complain when they hiked the tuition (as they actually do almost every other year) when I applied was because I knew the education I received would be crucial to not working in the towing industry for the rest of my life, or as a damn cabinetmaker.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 5 2005, 02:42 PM Wrote:I knew the education I received would be crucial to not working in the towing industry for the rest of my life, or as a damn cabinetmaker.
[right][snapback]146829[/snapback][/right]
I'll have to show my bud that owns Murroncabinets in Oakville that one :lol: He's working on more than a few $60,000+ custom kitchen jobs right now.
But I do agree with what you're saying B)
Hate to say it, but it's an investment in your future.

Heck, I could make a nice downpayment on a house now with my loans. But hey, without them, I wouldn't be where I am now.

I think a lot of people forget that there are colleges and trades out there. Most of the time, everyone is brainwashed into going to university. I've taught a lot of students who should not have even plunked down their $10K to go to school. Their hearts lie in some other passion. A BA, BSc, BMath, BEng, etc. are only good if you somehow apply the knowledge.

Instead of tuition hikes, I now gripe about the rising cost of gas :lol:
Richard | Focused 24-7
2002 ZTS | Sangria Red | +400,000 km - most of it avoiding potholes 100km/h at a time

OFOC - Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | Redline Rendezvous @ Mosport International Raceway
CanadaSVT,Oct 6 2005, 12:04 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 5 2005, 02:42 PM Wrote:I knew the education I received would be crucial to not working in the towing industry for the rest of my life, or as a damn cabinetmaker.
[right][snapback]146829[/snapback][/right]
I'll have to show my bud that owns Murroncabinets in Oakville that one :lol: He's working on more than a few $60,000+ custom kitchen jobs right now.
But I do agree with what you're saying B)
[right][snapback]147062[/snapback][/right]

Hey skilled guys that own the place and that have real skill make cash. No doubt about it. I was making 8.50/hr as a quality inspector / finishing sander. What a joke.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.