Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebay Halo Hella Hid Conversion Update
ok ladies, as some of you might know I was working on an ebay halo light conversion with some Hella HID and shiznits. Unfortunatly I have misplaced the charger to my camera ( I have seriously got to stop taking my camera along on my drink/smoke fests ) anyways after much downtime I have made some progress and borrowed my sister's cam to snap some shots....

[Image: CIMG0889.jpg]

right light

[Image: CIMG0891.jpg]

left light

[Image: CIMG0882.jpg]

[Image: CIMG0883.jpg]

close up

[Image: CIMG0887.jpg]

new bracket to hold the Hella projector

so now all I have left to do is lay down some bondo etc and sand it all down smooth it out then paint and the shells are done. I hope my bracket will work the way I intend it to or else I'll have to get it done out of metal which I don't want to do.

I plan on painting the shells gunmetal to match the M3 mirrors painted gun metal and two tone rims also painted you guess it, gun metal
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
question....what's the reason for fiberglassing the house?
smith21,Sep 25 2005, 09:05 PM Wrote:question....what's the reason for fiberglassing the house?
[right][snapback]144643[/snapback][/right]

well you need to know how the ebay lights look. I personaly hated how they looked so I took matters into my hands and made it my creation.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
What are you doing, exactly?
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
So you're trying to build a mount for the Hella projector hardware to put into the ebay projector housings? I dont think you'd want to use fiberglass to make the mounts though, it may not be strong enough.. especially if you're going to drive the car in the winter.

I'm just afraid that if it gets cold and brittle, the fiberglass will crack and your headlights will go bouncing away.. make the mount out of metal and you wont have to worry about it.

As for the fiberglass on the housings, I guess we'll have to wait and see how that turns out, hard to tell what it'll be like at this stage.
i say get rid of those odd looking ridges in the top outter corners where the hood meets the fender...

i always thought those ridges made those headlights look cheap. :)
Raine,Sep 25 2005, 10:35 PM Wrote:What are you doing, exactly?
[right][snapback]144674[/snapback][/right]

I bought HID E-Code hella projectors, but as you know there is no real way to mount projectors in our headlights. So instead of forking out a bunch more cash for morettas or hella headlights which I don't like how they look or how they are exposed I bought some cheap ebay halo lights, took the ebay projector out put my Hella one in. Also I didn't like how the headlights looked so I took my dremel to them cut out all the excess plastic crap and am now glassing them. The halo have been replaced with brighter LEDS. Originally I was going to use the halos as my turn signals but it didn't work that well so now what I am doing is on the inner most corner of each light I am going to put in a cluster of amber LEDs and use that as my turn signal and remove the stock ones. ummm I guess that pretty much sums it up as to what I am doing.

and before anyone askes " WHY? " I'll answer that.

I am a person that likes to have their own design and style I don't jump on band wagons, I drive them. That being said I can honestly say I will have the ONLY set of lights that look like this and that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
guilty,Sep 26 2005, 04:43 AM Wrote:So you're trying to build a mount for the Hella projector hardware to put into the ebay projector housings?  I dont think you'd want to use fiberglass to make the mounts though, it may not be strong enough.. especially if you're going to drive the car in the winter.

I'm just afraid that if it gets cold and brittle, the fiberglass will crack and your headlights will go bouncing away.. make the mount out of metal and you wont have to worry about it.

As for the fiberglass on the housings, I guess we'll have to wait and see how that turns out, hard to tell what it'll be like at this stage.
[right][snapback]144774[/snapback][/right]

yeah I had the same concerns about fiberglassing something but I used cardboard for the cutout and I soaked that in resin let it harden and put on 3 layers of glass on top of it so it's safe to say that puppy is pretty solid but only time will tell I think though that it's going to be just fine cause fiberglass body kits make it through the winter just fine.

and yeah it's hard for everyone to get a picture of what I am thinking in my head, in the days to come I will have updates and that should answer some q's
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
ZX3TUNING,Sep 26 2005, 06:06 AM Wrote:i say get rid of those odd looking ridges in the top outter corners where the hood meets the fender...

i always thought those ridges made those headlights look cheap.  :)
[right][snapback]144781[/snapback][/right]

you're talking about the far outside top of the lights?? yeah those are going to be filled in I have the same feelings towards them too :D

***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Hey man, this project has the potential to kick some major ass. Custom made HID's? Hurry up and get this shizza done man! I wanna see more progress pics.
Run your car, not your mouth
ZOOM,Sep 30 2005, 02:44 PM Wrote:Hey man, this project has the potential to kick some major ass. Custom made HID's? Hurry up and get this shizza done man! I wanna see more progress pics.
[right][snapback]145774[/snapback][/right]

tonight I'll hopefully have some more for you guys... I did some sanding last night and I must remind everyone that wants to work with fiberglass that sanding this stuff is one itchy experience! I didn't have any gloves on my last night so I tried to sand for a bit then wash hands dry then sand but that didn't work that well. After work I am going to buy a disposible monkey suit thing and some latex gloves and goto town.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
little tip when fiberglassing, fiberglass is not strong when its flat. its more likely to fail and you need a lot of it to get the strength out if it.
'03 Focus SVT
FocusGuy7476,Sep 30 2005, 09:40 PM Wrote:little tip when fiberglassing, fiberglass is not strong when its flat. its more likely to fail and you need a lot of it to get the strength out if it.
[right][snapback]145895[/snapback][/right]

I guess you are right but think of the " forces " that this lil square will encounter. it is supported on the front and back when you put the light together. there is virtually NO movement once it is assembled so really my cheap quick adapter idea isn't that bad. Only time will tell.

what do all the glassers use, like the products/steps they take. For me it's:

mold/shape made out of anything that works, I find masking tape usually works well.
then fiberglass mat and resin
then body filler
then glazing putty
then primer/paint

anyone else do things differently?
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
ok update time... I laid on some body filler sanded molded a lil bit. and here we are. Only the one side is somewhat ready for the putty

[Image: CIMG0907.jpg]

driver's side light

[Image: CIMG0911.jpg]

another shot

[Image: CIMG0917.jpg]

kinda looks funny

ok there we are a quick update. I think I am going to experiment with molding clay or whatever it's called to see if I can get the lines I want.... any ideas??
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
i dunno if its the light or the coloration of the filler, but it doesnt look to smooth. not smooth to the touch but the lines youve created dont seem to flow evenly.
might jsut be the light.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Oct 4 2005, 01:40 AM Wrote:i dunno if its the light or the coloration of the filler, but it doesnt look to smooth. not smooth to the touch but the lines youve created dont seem to flow evenly.
might jsut be the light.
[right][snapback]146419[/snapback][/right]

oh no it's not 100%smooth it's just a rough sand of the filler, I will have to lay down some glaze putty to smooth things out more and as for the lines I hope that my idea of using modeling clay will work cause filler sure isn't going to be easy
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Seems like a whole lot of work no?

I guess things that are nice come with hard work.

Can't wait to see the final product!
ANTHONYD,Oct 4 2005, 12:35 PM Wrote:Seems like a whole lot of work no?

I guess things that are nice come with hard work.

Can't wait to see the final product!
[right][snapback]146468[/snapback][/right]

You got that right it's a lot of work, but I knew that ahead of time. It's taking a lil longer I guess since this is the first time I have ever done anything like this, I've worked with fiberglass but nothing this detailed... it's fun and I can't wait to see it on the car....
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Can't wait to see that project finish.
Turbo arrived!
ok some people are having trouble seeing what I did with the lights or whatever so here I'll include what they looked like before and now

BEFORE:

[Image: 3492-Front.jpg]

AFTER: ( right now )

[Image: CIMG0907.jpg]

hope that helps
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check

Possibly Related Threads...