Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shm Suspension
Well, I've had this suspension setup on my car for a while now, and after several 1000 km's on it (and a good portion of them are hard km's), the ride height has settled, and the springs and dampners have broken in now too. The ride is still fairly smooth like a stock Foci, but it's a lot more taught like an English Ford. I think this is due to the dampning of the shocks and struts, and the higher load rating of the springs. When driving over potholes, undelations, etc, the car doesn't bottom out, or seem to go crashing into, or out of them. It hits, then rebounds once under excellent control. Sometimes the car does ride a little on the harsh side if it's cold out, or you just started driving and the nitrogen gas in the dampners needs to warm up a little. But other than that, it's totally livable. When it comes to the ride height, the car does appear to have been lowered, but it doesn't look slammed...it just has a sportier stance than it used to. Clearance so far has not been an issue for me. I've not scraped on any curbs, speedbumps, etc. Only observation I have when doing either is that the suspension creaks or squeaks slightly, but that's exactly the same as any other car I've driven with aftermarket suspensions...just gotta live with it.

Cornering stability is excellent, with the body roll reduced by more than 50%, and the lateral grip of the tires has improved as well. Taking left turns through intersections or going through on/off ramps for the highway is done with greater ease and speed. The car is just genuinely fun to toss around on the road, whether smooth or rough, and never seems to be unsettled or bobby at all while doing so.

At the price that this kit retails for, and for the amount of hassel it took me to get it installed 100% as most of you know already, made the decision to buy the suspension kinda awkwards to take at first. But once fitted, and settled, this suspension kit pays for itself. Especially after you can mess around with turbo Volvo's or other cars on the highway at high speeds, and make it look easy...it's a lot of fun. I also have had people think I had a typical compact car with an exaust done and nothing else, until they couldn't keep up with me on the twisty streets of Pembroke, and ended up backing off or looking the car over more carefully afterwards...this suspension kit definately adds to the whole sleeper effect, if that's what you are going for.

I think now I would like to get some lightweight wheels and some higher rated tires to extract 100% of the cars abilities...

In short, this kit, while pricey, is definately a good performance bargain once you've had it a while and it's had time to break in and settle. I don't regret buying it one bit, and now have an even closer love affair with my psuedo pocket rocket...lol...

Now if only I had some brakes and FI to complete the sleeper theme....muwah ha ha ha....
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I have just SHM springs, and they took a damned long time to settle, but I'm glad I got them over many other brands. Good review mate.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
I got my full SHM kit installed for the paltry sum of $1000 Cdn + Chinese dinner.

The springs didn't seem to need any time to settle in my case, and an alignment received 8 hours after installation never lost adjustment over the 3000 km's before the next alignment.

the ride is definitely heavily damped compared to stock, and while the driver (myself) seems used to it now, passengers coming from their cushy grand prixs and minivans complain about the kidney jarring effects of the car's suspension. I only notice a fatigued neck after rides of 6 hours or more duration.

I'm not sure about the handling benefits, as I haven't put the car on the skidpad, but I can tell you that it's definitely confidence inspiring at any rate.

My suspension has never squeeked or rattled until the endlinks blew out, but my dealer warrantied the endlinks, and the car is fine and dandy once again. I've put the SHM suspension through 2 winters, clearance has never been an issue, and there's no ill effect on the advance trac under normal driving conditions. However, I've noticed it more likely to kick in when the wheels are on extremely uneven ground, as the suspension seems to unload the uneven wheels more, resulting in less traction.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Well, I had my kit installed at Bullas Auto/Main West Firestone in west Hamilton. They charged me a decent rate to do it, and I even went as far as to go out and buy a set of MOOG HD swaybar links for the front swaybar (which came with grease fittings....very nice). I only find the car rides choppy now when it's colder in the morning, but after driving it a bit, it's pretty smooth again.
Drivesthebeast,Sep 23 2005, 08:59 PM Wrote:... but after driving it a bit, it's pretty smooth again.
[right][snapback]144365[/snapback][/right]

that's just your spine getting more compliant :P...

but can we both agree that it's a great kit??
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

It's better than great homez...it's likely the best available in a non-race application...