Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Donair Sauce Recipes Here:
I'm hungry
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Raj Kapuri is right down the road from you. They make some of the best Donairs in the city.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Raine,Sep 18 2005, 12:09 AM Wrote:Raj Kapuri is right down the road from you. They make some of the best Donairs in the city.
[right][snapback]142892[/snapback][/right]

Really, where?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
donairs are gross, whats with the sugar?
2001 ZTS,Sep 18 2005, 08:15 AM Wrote:
Raine,Sep 18 2005, 12:09 AM Wrote:Raj Kapuri is right down the road from you. They make some of the best Donairs in the city.
[right][snapback]142892[/snapback][/right]

Really, where?
[right][snapback]142910[/snapback][/right]

On Donlands, right off O'Connor
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Thanks Raine! I'll have to check it out pho shizzle.

Why did my post about a NOVA SCOTIA specialty food get moved from the NOVA SCOTIA forum to the Ontario one?

The chances of my finding a recipe here are nil. At least I had a chance in the NOVA SCOTIA forum.

What sort of retards are running this joint?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
seeing as it's basically the usual suspects posting about where to find donairs in the Toronto area, it hardly seemed like a Nova Scotia concern.

But there's a link in the NS forum in case anyone from there happens on the thread... that's why I moved it.

*points to self* and this is the retard running things around here..thanks
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

You'll pay for this tubby! I get pretty upset when I'm hungry! I WANT MY DONIAR FIX!

I found a review of Raine's restaurant, not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the NOVA SCOTIAN kind.

:angry:

That's it I quit
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
excuse my ignorance, but I thought Donairs were a greek thing...

but I searched around for a recipe.. how about this

I was just trying to keep the site clean, wasn't trying to make you quit (I can deal with angry tho)

:angry:

Not good enough tubby. I won't be happy till............

you cook up a big batch using said recipe and we gourge ourselves
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
all I need are the ingredients and 5 hours (holy crap, this thing is complicated).

I'll do it up some weekend, but 5pm notice for a 10pm meal is hardly fair!

Mmmmmm.....donairs.....reminds me of good times in Halifax.

I haven't found a decent one in Hamilton yet....there used to be a place in Windsor near the university though....

:D
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
Go to Sammy's Donairs at the corner of Guelph Line and New Street in Bulrington ( south of the QEW)

This will fix your craving Andrew and Sparky.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Sep 18 2005, 06:36 PM Wrote:Go to Sammy's Donairs at the corner of Guelph Line and New Street in Bulrington ( south of the QEW) 

This will fix your craving Andrew and Sparky.
[right][snapback]142977[/snapback][/right]

I heard that place closed and was reopening as an Indian restaurant? The same search also found me a place on 1 Elm Street here in TO and another at a place called Imbiss on Eglinton East, north side west of Mount Pleasant. I'm going to have to walk around a bit. Failing that I'll find a Greco Pizza since they sell them, I think there is a couple on Yonge.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
well I know that Pizza Delight makes them, I really love them.... Only thing is Pizza Delight is no longer in the G.T.A. you have to head north to go to one..... I think they start in Mt. Forest and head more north, I know there is one in Sable Beach.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
darkpuppet,Sep 18 2005, 05:39 PM Wrote:excuse my ignorance, but I thought Donairs were a greek thing...

I was just trying to keep the site clean, wasn't trying to make you quit (I can deal with angry tho)
[right][snapback]142958[/snapback][/right]

Donairs were started right here in Nova scotia
BradfordZX3,Sep 19 2005, 12:25 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Sep 18 2005, 05:39 PM Wrote:excuse my ignorance, but I thought Donairs were a greek thing...

[right][snapback]142958[/snapback][/right]

Donairs were started right here in Nova scotia
[right][snapback]143077[/snapback][/right]

Ture, Right after MR.DONAIR opened a store in there.

The Donair Story

The ‘DONAIR’ concept was started through a small fast-food outlet in Sunnyside, Bedford, Nova Scotia in 1971, by the Kamoulakos brothers who wanted to give Nova Scotian’s a taste of Greece. From one shop the ‘DONAIR’s’ popularity took off to where it is today, the main menu item for many fast-food operations and restaurants in the Atlantic Provinces. Mr. Donair prides itself on being the Creator of the ‘DONAIR’ and our mission is to maintain the taste and quality of our original product.

BTW the concept of DONIAR, or Gyros go back lot more then 1971. In travelogues from the 18th century, döner kebab is described as a dish from Asia Minor, consisting of mutton grilled on vertical rotating skewers. Traditionally, it was served on a plate with rice and a hot sauce
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

Dammit, now i want some...
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I'm seriously considering prepping up some of the meat mixture... I likes gyro.

sorry, but I gots to do this...

the recipe
Quote:Donair Sauce
(adapted from King of Donair, on `Pizza Corner', Halifax)

* 2/3 cup canned evaporated milk
    * 2/3 cup sugar
    * 1/4 cup white vinegar
    * 1/2 tsp garlic powder

Stir canned milk, sugar and garlic powder until sugar is dissolved. Add vinegar and continue mixing. The quicker you add the vinegar and the less you mix (I usually give the spoon 3 or 4 turns around the bowl), the thicker the sauce will be. Let sauce sit for at least one hour in refrigerator before using. Eventually (hours to days later), the sauce may start to separate. DO NOT STIR IT. Simply skim the thick sauce off the top. It tastes fine, despite the appearance that all the vinigar has seeped out of it.

You should be able to get thick sauce simply by following the instructions in the top recipe. I can get mine a bit thicker than yogurt. Occasionally, I blow it and stir too much and the sauce gets thin again. If your sauce is not thick enough (I like spoons to stand up in it) follow the recipe below. It is my new favorite.

Alternate SUPER-THICK Sauce Recipe (confirmed to be excellent)

* 2/3 cup canned sweetened condensed milk
    * 1/4 cup white vinegar
    * 1/2 tsp garlic powder

Follow the same instructions as above, except that you really need to stir for a long time to get the condensed milk and vinigar mixed properly. Do not be alarmed. Stirring this recipe for a long time will not make it thin. Leave set for a few minutes and you will be able to turn the bowl upside down and none of it will pour out.

Please note, the amount of sauce provided in this recipe will likely last two servings at most (if used properly). I find that the sauce can be made in larger batches and survives an unnaturally long time in the fridge.

[Foil wrap is for wimps.] Donair Meat
(adapted from Derek's Place)

* 3 pounds lean hamburger (triple ground*)
    * 3/4 cup bread crumbs
    * 2 tsp pepper
    * 1-2 tsp cayenne red pepper (depending on your taste)
    * 1 1/2 tsp oregano
    * 3 tsp paprika
    * 2 tsp onion powder
    * 1 tsp garlic powder
    * 1/2 tsp salt

*Try to get your butcher to run the meat through the grinder a few times. A food processor will do the trick also.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Knead for 20 minutes. Shape into two tightly formed loaves. Bake on broiler pan for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Cool loaves and slice into thick slabs. Meat can be frozen for future use. If (like me) you are not fortunate enough to own your own rotary-stick-cooker thing like the ones in the good shops, you may find that the inner parts of the loaf are not browned enough. This can be remedied by re-heating the meat in a frying pan. This browns it nicely and gives it that slightly chewier texture.

Preparation

Heat donair meat in a frying pan. Dip a pita bread in water and fry in frying pan to soften (this is VERY important). Place a generous amount of sauce on bread. Top with meat, chopped onions and tomatoes and finish off with lots more sauce. Put on some old clothes, then roll up or serve open face on a plate. Utensils are strictly forbidden.

Variations

Donair Sub
If you do not have pita bread, you could try the Donair Sub, which is all the above plus some mozzarella cheese placed on a submarine bun and baked for a few minutes (until cheese melts a bit).

Donair Pizza
Grate a bit of mozzarella cheese onto a pizza crust (this will help bind the toppings to the dry crust). Top with loads of donair meat, tomatoes, onions and then more cheese. Bake in oven until cooked to your desired meltiness. Pour cold or room temperature sauce onto each slice before you eat it. The combo of hot pizza with cool donair sauce is very pleasing.

If you can't seem to get your sauce really thick, you might try putting the sauce on the crust first. This will ruin the hot pizza/cold sauce sensation, but will be easier to eat.

WTF... yet something else that has migrated to Ontario...
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.