Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
05 Duratec Zx5
So, i got a 05 ZX5 for a rental car yesterday, and i had a few questions/comments.

So.... First of all, its not a bad feeling, looking car. Definatley feels alot more solid than my 01 zx3. but alot more... boring than my svt. the duratec seems like a much better engine than the zetec, feels a bit more solid. but a couple questions come to mind.

Headlights. i noticed a beam of light coming out sideways... like right next to the driver door. from the headlights. could this possibly be an issue with the car or is it common

secondly if you have the car in (1) will it come out of kickdown and shift at redline or does it keep going.

all the other gears shift at like 6000 at WOT. but (1) goes up to 7 and stays there.

Bear with me because i've never driven an automatic focus before. B)
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
who cares?

Its a rental, continue on with the beating. :D
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Can't say as I've ever seen any light from the headlights coming out near the doors or anything, although I haven't really looked. I'll check tonight and see if it happens. I have a zx4, but shouldn't matter.

If I leave the car in first at WOT, it seems to hold the gear (up to about 7k at least, after that I chickened out and backed off). I never noticed it shifting at all. I did notice that if I have it in second at somewhat high speed/rpm, and then drop it to first (during autocross), it would stay in 2nd. The only way I could get it dropped to first was to kick down the gas pedal a couple of times.

Hope that helps a bit?

Much hate for the ATX
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
lol, i'm not concerned. its more along the lines of general intrest.

its strange. the light cutoff is like Sideways. like paralell with the front of the car. never seen that before.

in 1 haha. it just doesnt shift.
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Sep 14 2005, 11:51 AM Wrote:lol, i'm not concerned. its more along the lines of general intrest.

its strange. the light cutoff is like Sideways. like  paralell with the front of the car. never seen that before.

in 1 haha. it just doesnt shift.
[right][snapback]141915[/snapback][/right]

Never seen that light cutoff issue on my '05 sedan, I'm more peeved at the fogs, they do jack squat compared to what fog are supposed to do <_<

Yeah, the car likes to hold at 7K from first when I pull away hard at stoplights. I'm paranoid though and ease up at 6500 rpm and then it shifts from there at 6K.

NefCanuck
THE 05's have the WORST FACTORY STEREO EVER! that factory deck is so quiet i could use the door speakers as earphones.

Just another observation...
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Sep 15 2005, 11:39 AM Wrote:THE 05's have the WORST FACTORY STEREO EVER!  that factory deck is so quiet i could use the door speakers as earphones.

Just another observation...
[right][snapback]142202[/snapback][/right]

Wha? :blink: Ok I put in the upgraded 6 pack CD/MP3 Ford deck but man how loud do you want your tunes? I can crank it loud enough that all four doors rattle as I'm going deaf :P

NefCanuck
Yeah, the ZX4 I test drove had the quietest stereo. EVAR.

I didn't take it above 5500 as the damn thing had 50 KMs on it and I had SPI Syndrome ("there's life above 6000RPMs?").

The 2.0L Duratec feels like a livened SPI. I'd love to swap them.

Anyone else think they handle like mud (non-ST) compared to the 00-04s?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Yea, I noticed some of these things on a '05 SE that I had while my SVT was in for service. The only thing I liked was that on the left where the fuse panel is they turned it into a cd holder. Holds like 8 cd cases. I'm not impressed with the Duratec20. Then again I have never driven and SPI or std Zetec either.
SVT ZX3,Sep 15 2005, 04:25 PM Wrote:Yea, I noticed some of these things on a '05 SE that I had while my SVT was in for service. The only thing I liked was that on the left where the fuse panel is they turned it into a cd holder. Holds like 8 cd cases. I'm not impressed with the Duratec20. Then again I have never driven and SPI or std Zetec either.
[right][snapback]142330[/snapback][/right]

Actually that CD holder is one of the few things that drive me nuts about my car. I can't use the damn thing unless I wanna smack my left knee each and every time I open the damn thing <_< It's like Ford is playing posture police :D

NefCanuck
The beam, yes it was one of the first things i noticed when i got my car, it kept catching my eye and i was like what is that?..

i rented an 05 sedan, it wasn't bad

oh yeah, redline it in 2nd gear, see if you can do 140 like i did, it just made it to like 139 or so and then the rev limiter hit
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]