Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternators
Alternators/ Alternator failure

Alternator failure seems to be a somewhat common issue on the focus. especially when coupled with high draw sound systems.

Being on alternator 3 in the svt

and having 2 alternators go in my zx3 i have a few reccomendations.

Do not!!! Go with a Hitachi alternator from canadian tire. They dont even charge as well as stock. This may not be an issue for people without sound systems, but for cars with high current draw, i reccomend to stay away.

Stock Focus alternator = 110a

for a regular replacment, I reccomend OEM ford. they seem to hold up the longest, and have a somewhat stable charge. vs. the hitachi peaking and high and low revs. About 300.00 at the dealership. I picked up a used one at a scrap yard for 75.00

There are a few options for Hi-Output alternators

Iraggi Alternator Custom built (builds custom alternators for SPL Vehicles) - I havent had much luck with mine. but when its going it gives off a strong stable charge. Varietys from 140a - 240a.
The ampuator series has a 150a idle Vs Dominator Series - 90a idle.
Prices Range from 180-400usd.

Various Manufacturers make a 140a replacment for the focus. while i havent had experience with this product. it seems to be a decent replacment.
Priced between 175-250 usd...

Bosch High output. Bosch electric has a high output alternator avaliable for the focus Part number 7572ho... Rated at 200 amps. But the price is insane. expect to pay 550usd +

From what i remember, an alternator swap at the dealership is rated at 3hrs labour
they remove alot of unnessecary equipment. My buddy and i have managed to get that time down to 1h15min... in and out. (without a hoist) i'm sure it can be done quicker. But there are a few precautions with changing the alternator on the focus

The main grey harness attached to the alternator (3 pin) Is wired very tightly, just like all other wires on the focus. be gentle when pulling it. If youre not it will result in a broken wire or pin. and the harness will have to be replaced (50.00cdn)

You know you have broken your harness when. Charging light comes on at idle. After driving and stopping the car stalls, or sputters like its going to stall.

Sometimes its not the alternator that goes on the focus. before removing the alternator check the harness. and check if the battery is being charged at idle. this can be done by using a multimeter.

I will probably add more to this later.

But for now. Expect a how-to with pictures within the next month or so. once my H/O Alt has been returned to me.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
scoobasteve,Aug 30 2005, 07:17 PM Wrote:Alternators/ Alternator failure

Alternator failure seems to be a somewhat common issue on the focus. especially when coupled with high draw sound systems.

Being on alternator 3 in the svt

and having 2 alternators go in my zx3 i have a few reccomendations.

Do not!!! Go with a Hitachi alternator from canadian tire. They dont even charge as well as stock. This may not be an issue for people without sound systems, but for cars with high current draw, i reccomend to stay away.

Stock Focus alternator = 110a

for a regular replacment, I reccomend OEM ford. they seem to hold up the longest, and have a somewhat stable charge. vs. the hitachi peaking and high and low revs. About 300.00 at the dealership. I picked up a used one at a scrap yard for 75.00

There are a few options for Hi-Output alternators

Iraggi Alternator Custom built (builds custom alternators for SPL Vehicles) - I havent had much luck with mine. but when its going it gives off a strong stable charge. Varietys from 140a - 240a.
The ampuator series has a 150a idle Vs Dominator Series - 90a idle.
Prices Range from 180-400usd.

Various Manufacturers make a 140a replacment for the focus. while i havent had experience with this product. it seems to be a decent replacment.
Priced between 175-250 usd...

Bosch High output. Bosch electric has a high output alternator avaliable for the focus Part number 7572ho... Rated at 200 amps.  But the price is insane. expect to pay 550usd +

From what i remember, an alternator swap at the dealership is rated at 3hrs labour
they remove alot of unnessecary equipment.  My buddy and i have managed to get that time down to 1h15min... in and out. (without a hoist) i'm sure it can be done quicker. But there are a few precautions with changing the alternator on the focus

The main grey harness attached to the alternator (3 pin) Is wired very tightly, just like all other wires on the focus. be gentle when pulling it. If youre not it will result in a broken wire or pin. and the harness will have to be replaced (50.00cdn)

You know you have broken your harness when. Charging light comes on at idle. After driving and stopping the car stalls, or sputters like its going to stall.

Sometimes its not the alternator that goes on the focus. before removing the alternator check the harness. and check if the battery is being charged at idle. this can be done by using a multimeter.

I will probably add more to this later.

But for now. Expect a how-to with pictures within the next month or so. once my H/O Alt has been returned to me.
[right][snapback]137377[/snapback][/right]

Nice stevo, i been wondering if those hitachi pieces from crappy were any good, everyone i think is better off with the bosch ones rom the sounds of it.Or like u said the hitachi might be just fine for totally stock systems or basic speakers and a small sub. Most stock peices like alternators and starters are usually better,better windings,armatures,stator's etc.. in them.The starter we got for our tempo from crappy rules, tuff as all hell.
My Mom Says I'm Special
HITACHI ALT = POS....

Replaced it this weekend... it died on friday. (bearings pooched)

Save your money for something better guys, or go OE ford.

I got a whole 4900km out of my hitachi. but the over the counter warranty exchange is allright though.
05 Altima SE-R
are you running bat caps for your system?
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
Just a cap.... Sad, the same setup didnt have this amount of problems in my acclaim.
05 Altima SE-R
I got a custom 200amp alternator for $300.00 cdn :) I can see if I can get you guys some if you need them. Just send me a pm if ur interested.
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
I have a 220a 150a idle alt. i just had to send it to have the stator changed for a higer charge at lower rpms.

i'm waiting for that one to get back.
05 Altima SE-R