Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Subs.... Cant Decide.
Well Guys, it comes down to this, I have to make a decision shortly regarding the new subs i'm gonna get for my focus...

Right now i have 3x Rockford fosgate Punch HE2 12"s running off of a BD500.1 amp.. dreadfully underpowered, I know

But here's my dilemma, eventually when my big amp gets repaired...

Viper D2500.1 The rockfords wont be able to take the wattage they produce.

Viper 2700w@ 2ohms RMS. vs. Subs... 400rms a piece = 1200w rms ohm load = (2.6667)

So i have to make a decision.

I cant decide wether i want to go with 2x 12"s 3x 12"s or 2 15"s

If i go with the 2 12's my Options are Alpine Type X, or Rockford Power T2's

other options are

for the 3x 12's i'd go with 3 alpine Type X's or 3 Rockford Power T1's

Next up would be... if i were to go with 2x15's

Options would be

2x Rockford T2's, or Orion H2's

I'd be willing to go with an internet brand sub... Such as Resonant engineering, or Adire. But theyre pretty expensive for what they are. plus i can get all the above subs in canada.

Power Handling on the woofers

Rockford T1 12" - 600w RMS

Rockford T2 12" - 1000w RMS

Alpine Type X 12" - 1000w RMS

Orion H2 15" - 2000w RMS

Rockford T2 15" - 1000w RMS

I'd rather stay away from the T2's because theyre a pretty expensive option but if nessecary i'd go with them.

So help me make my decision.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I would get some MTX or JBL subs before alpines or rockfords, but that's just me...ummm I'd go with 2x 12" Alpine Type X's....might be able to use/have abox that's still small enough to use some of your trunkspace...ever considered either the BALLZ, or Magma series from Earthquake? I've heard some stupid loud systems with some BALLZ 12's, and also BALLZ 15's...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
3 15's.

that would be retarded.
Couldnt fit them....

also, i dont mean to be a jackass, but i hate how JBL and MTX stuff sound, Its pretty much all bargain stuff. Rockford isnt much better. but alpine makes some high quality product. Orion... I'd love to get some of their oldschool subs. Some nice HCCA1's just old school kickass power, the reason i'm not really interested in H2's now is its made by DEI. i've never liked DEI much, sadly my Viper amp is made by them as well.

Not looking for retarded either. My bass amp is way overkill now, and i want to match it with the rest of my system which is geared towards SQ. So i'm looking for a Nice SQL sub. Its gotta take 1000w or higher.

Focal(Jmlabs) makes some AWESOME SQ equipment, but it all comes at a price.
Their subs dont take much wattage. and for the upper echelon equipment, youre gonna be paying out your ass for a sub. to the tune of 1100$ + per driver.

Adire audio makes some wicked stuff too. its just do i really want to pay shipping for 100 lbs of audio equipment from the states.

RE (resonant engineering) is the same I'd love a pair of XXX 12"s the XBL 2 technology is phenominal. but 450$ us price per driver. then 80$ to ship each over + duty = RAPE!

Alpine - I've always loved alpine equipment, I'll never go to another company for a head unit. Hopefully they get rid of that horrible glide touch bar that they have on their High end decks this year. I absoloutley hate it. But its hard to beat the sq of an alpine deck. Hopefully one day i'll be priveleged enough to own some of their F#1 status equipment, but it sure as hell wouldnt be in a focus.

Otherwise, alpine subs are awesome, i havent had the chance to hear a type x sub yet, but if its anything like the type s and the type r subs i'll probably go with them. the sound is so deep yet smooth, even with 10" i wish i had the money 4 years ago when i bought my equipment to go with the alpines instead of rockfords.

Rockford = one of the best bang for the buck companies out their. Their equipment is ugly now, but it rarley does dissapoint. Their lower end stuff isnt the best, but for the price, there isnt much more you can ask for.

05 Altima SE-R
Now to continue my last post

Other options would be

JL W6, W7. IMHO some of the best sounding drivers out there. But way way way way way overpriced. I'd love a pair of w7 13"s but the price tag that comes with them is insane. Unless i could find a deal i'll be staying away from JL for a while.

next up...

Cerwin Vega new stroker. The specs on it look allright, but yet again, carries too much of a price tag. I'd have to downgrade to a single driver system, I dont think i'm ready for that yet.

any other ideas.

Sadly, if i started all over again, my system would be quite different, I would have saved money,

FRONT:
Went with a Focal Utopia 165W3 component set
3 way - 6/4/tweet component set

or

Focal K2 Power

165k3 component set 6/4/tweet

REAR:
Polykevlar 2ways

165k2 for the rear.

SUB:

Focal Polykevlar 33kx

Running off alpine power

MRD-F545 - Highs (100x4 RMS)

and a

MRD-M1000 (1000wrms) bass.
05 Altima SE-R
How about Kaption subs, they sound good and are really resonablely priced and they handle the power well. I would even consider the JL W3's remember overpowering is not alway s the issue, its the amount of distortion. When the W7 was launced, I went and watched a w7 on thebench at Jemsen take over 5000 watts but thats at .00005% distortion. In the real world my Phoenix gold amp is becnh tested at 1476wrms and the 12W7 rated for only 750 but its been ok since its clean power. So be careful when looking at all the power ratings on teh subs, they are very very conservative to keep warrenty claims in check. So if your amp is putting out clean power then you are one step ahead. Your budget plays a big part how much are you looking to spend. Were are you located, If your in Toronto Let me know we can talk about prices for JL subs or infinty, you maybe suprised.

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
I wouldnt say the sky's the limit for my budget... But i've never been one to cheap out on audio.... especially since i'm so close to the end.

what kind of prices can you get on a 13w7
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Aug 29 2005, 03:47 PM Wrote:I wouldnt say the sky's the limit for my budget... But i've never been one to cheap out on audio.... especially since i'm so close to the end.

what kind of prices can you get on a 13w7
[right][snapback]136828[/snapback][/right]
May I ask 1 thing before you get a 13w7, it has dual 1.5ohm voice coils, is your amp able to take the .75ohm load. I would recommend a 12, this is the reason i went with it instead, it has a single 3ohm and most amps can handle that bridged or if they arte monoblock. in addition in the foci the space needed for the 13 is huge, almost 4 cubic feet ported (less sealed but a lot less output.) Just some food for thought if considering a W7, plus the differecne in price from the 12 to the 13 may not be all that worth it.

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
I'd definatley be going with a 2 driver setup. so id have to comprimise on the box size a bit... i guess thats the good thing with the orions. They only require 1.75 cuft sealed
05 Altima SE-R
Steve,

- If you go with Alpine, go no lower than the Type-X

- Don't be so quick to throw away the Kaption SPL Series, they are pretty damn clear.

- W7's are just incredible but like you said very expensive and require a large volume.

- Consider Adire Audio Brahma Series because they are very underated subwoofer (both in power and sound quality)

- Image Dynamics makes good subs but I'm not sure if you could find a Dealer in Canada.

Whatever you choose I wanna hear your setup when it's done!
Yeah, i was also considering the IDmax... but then i'd also wanna put ID horns in my doors. and revamp my whole front stage.

I definatley wont go lower than type x... lol i'd need 5 type r subs to take all the wattage that the viper would throw at it. Viper = rebadged DEI 2400.

Orion 2500d = rebadged DEI 2400

I wanna go somewhere to hear these kaption subs. I remember my buddy put a set of kaption midbass in the doors of his ranger. they sounded allright.

I wish i could find an Adire dealer in canada, i really wanna hear/see a brahma in action.
05 Altima SE-R
From personal experience I'd say you can not go wrong with Alpine Type X. I've got a single Type X 12 in a ported box and it is amazing, it hits hard yet is still clean and tight. It's wowed several people who have heard it. I am running it off of a Rockford T800.2 power amp, putting out a little over 1000 watts rms, and I've had it in two spl comps measured 145.1 dbs in one and 143.8 dbs in the other. Actually the second comp I was at was out of town and I was the first car through, the announcer, from one of the stereo shops, coulnd't believe how hard I hit with a single twelve, and no one else in my class could touch me, I think the closest was 140 something. Definately can't go wrong with Type X, that is until the put out an F#1 Status sub.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
There's a place in Barrie that carries Kaption. My friend bought a loaded two 10" box from there. I can't remember what the place was called. I'll see if I can find out!
I know the cockpit at Dundas/Winston churchill used to carry them... but they went out of business.
05 Altima SE-R
i'd personally go with the alpine type-x's...alpine makes some good stuff, and i've heard a set of these and...WOW!!
I definatley want to hear them before i buy them

Reason 128312389 why i love number 1 sound. They let you test the equipment in your car before you buy it.

I tested 3 sets of subs back in the day before i settled for my rockfords.

Theyre supposed to give me a call once the type x's come in so i can test em out and compare to the T1's

Then again, i need my Viper amp to get fixed so i can hear how it sounds.

And my alternator to get rebuilt so i can install the viper amp

05 Altima SE-R
You could even consider a set of PowerAcoustik FUBR, or FUBAR, or even the MOFO series subs...there are some people around here with those, and intense is only one word to describe them...For an SQ setup...ever considered the Blaupunkt Overdrive's? The flat piston ones sound very nice, and require a tiny box to work right...
The amp i'm running would rip those apart...

I need a sub that can take a steady 1300rms.
05 Altima SE-R
PowerAcoustik MOFO's....

10" 2400watts total, 1000watts RMS 270 ounce magnet

12" 2400watts total, 1200watts RMS 270 ounce magnet

15" 2600watts total, 1500watts RMS 340 ounce magnet

Nice units....one of few subs that one of the amps made by Earthquake nicknamed "The Shredder" hasn't been able to blow....

Then there's always the JBL GTi's....15" 5000W total...oh yeah, you don't like JBL...

For SQ, I like smaller subs...8" the most, but they are hard to find...
haha, One day i'll sell the viper and get a XX Colossus...

then i'll need some serious subs.
05 Altima SE-R