Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P51 Takes On Stangs
Rob....efore you even explained how that corner sequence happened it seemed pretty obvious that that is what happened.....

that line through was goofy....knew something was going on with signals etc......I used to hate that crap....

looks like if you could properly apex that thing it would be fast as hell....and I will bet you do when givin the room to do so.

you said in another thread something to the effect that you were a little less concerned about holding momentum going in,,,,I was a little confused about this ....could be how I read this but I used to always find it benificial to set up a little early and get on through the apex so as not to scrub to much....

I dont know.... every one has there tricks but falling short of an all out race machine holding momentum never seems to hurt...depending on traffic etc..

just curious mostly what your prefered approach is ...specially in light of your setup , which clearly seems to be quite good...
CD silver 03zx5,wings west type w, hella projectors,painted SVt upper grill, Grillcraft lower grill,clear corners,clear upper brake light, team dynamic 15 spoke x 17" rims,Kumho 712's 215/40,pacesetter header,magnaflow cat back,FC 65mm tb,RactiveCAI,MSD dis2 ignition,Tayler Vertex wires,SHM udp,Ractive upper strut tower brace,FK hitec suspension with springs/dampers-35/40 drop,Eibach front/rear anti sway bars,Steeda short throw shifter,Momo race air leather knob and e-brake handle,custom fiberglass upper dash with AC el -glow oil pressure/volt gauges,el-glow face gauges
microbunny,Aug 13 2005, 03:25 PM Wrote:...
No worries..post more when you can....I bet you thought I was gonna make some jerkass comment...didnt you!?!?
[right][snapback]132511[/snapback][/right]

LOL...I did.

nice vid...that just looks fun as hell.
Car-less for the first time in years...
'01 Twilight Blue ZTS is gone...
'90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - 15psi, 3" cat-back w/Turbo muffler, blah blah....is now gone too Sad
dad,Aug 15 2005, 01:11 AM Wrote:Rob....efore you even explained how that corner sequence happened it seemed pretty obvious that that is what happened.....

that line through was goofy....knew something was going on with signals etc......I used to hate that crap....

looks like if you could properly apex that thing it would be fast as hell....and I will bet you do when givin the room to do so.

you said in another thread something to the effect that you were a little less concerned about holding momentum going in,,,,I was a little confused about this ....could be how I read this but I used to always find it benificial to set up a little early and get on through the apex so as not to scrub to much....

I dont know.... every one has there tricks but falling short of an all out race machine holding momentum never seems to hurt...depending on traffic etc..

just curious mostly what your prefered approach is ...specially in light of your setup , which clearly seems to be quite good...
[right][snapback]132684[/snapback][/right]

That was not a normal line through that corner, you're right. First it must be understood that you cannot pass UNTIL you get the signal. Those are the rules for open track day. Kinda annoying sometimes, but it's the only thing that keeps them safe. Otherwise you'd have assclowns divebombing you on corners, etc...

Second, I was stuck behind that guy all through the preceding twisty bit. The Mustangs are much slower through the corners than Focus. So slow in fact, that I could pretty much choose ANY cornering line I wanted through the corner and still ride his ass. So, what I do when I'm behind somebody like that, is turn in very very late, and apex very late, shoot up the inside and hold at his door until he signals. I've found it's the best way to show these guys "I'm way faster than you, let me by".

I don't like riding their ass, because sometimes they brake unexpectantly, or too hard too soon, etc. This method gets the point across just as well, but keeps me off their bumper.

If you hold back too far, and just take nice lines, etc... you may never get the point by.

That being said, the car is obviously much faster when nobody is in front of me and I can drive a proper line. However that corner has a nasty wall right there, and I usually give a little up on these corners for safety. Also, with all the power now, I found I wasn't taking as good lines as I used to. You don't have to anymore, and it's just more difficult. This new power will take a bit to learn, take me to another level. All the lines will change because I'm going in much faster going in, and I may sacrifice a little cornering speed to just focus on getting the car pointed straight so I can get on it.

That slow 2nd gear corner leading onto the back straight is a perfect example. Used to be I'd take it as wide and fast as possible, to have as much exit speed as possible. Now I just want to get the car pointed straight so I can get on it, because I can't put the power down IN the corner.
does your car have an LSD yet?......

which would be good but takes a little to get used to cause as your power goes up the car may want to unload on you if you happen to need to get off throttle , otherwise it may help......just my experience anyway.

would you have any traction problems through the apex with your current setup? I mean , just at that point where your go on throttle and your tires are already fully loaded into the curve.....maybe the r comps help eh?....

just curious cause I have never tracked the Focus.....and my bad habits early in the morning around town would never be a resonable facimily....I trty to be "safe" ....anyway just curious...
CD silver 03zx5,wings west type w, hella projectors,painted SVt upper grill, Grillcraft lower grill,clear corners,clear upper brake light, team dynamic 15 spoke x 17" rims,Kumho 712's 215/40,pacesetter header,magnaflow cat back,FC 65mm tb,RactiveCAI,MSD dis2 ignition,Tayler Vertex wires,SHM udp,Ractive upper strut tower brace,FK hitec suspension with springs/dampers-35/40 drop,Eibach front/rear anti sway bars,Steeda short throw shifter,Momo race air leather knob and e-brake handle,custom fiberglass upper dash with AC el -glow oil pressure/volt gauges,el-glow face gauges
^^^---- p51 has an LSD on his car...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

^^^^^^^

never mind
dad,Aug 16 2005, 11:00 AM Wrote:^^^^^^^

never mind
[right][snapback]133017[/snapback][/right]

Yup, got a Quaife. However in second gear corners it can't work miracles. There is only so much it can do. I get inside wheelspin, but it's not evil, tire smoking, going-nowhere-fast open diff wheel spin. It spins slowly, and power is being fed to the outside, but you just reach a limit of how much you can put down. It's still much better than an open diff when you anihilate the inside front, and all acceleration stops.

This is all part of the reason why I DON'T suggest people put turbos on and hit the track. You need other thigs first. You need an LSD, and R compound tires, and big brakes, and a good suspension, BEFORE you bother going for the turbo.

The Focus is really fun, and pretty quick even in stock trim. You gotta build up the other parts first before going turbo, otherwise the car will be unbalanced.
^^^
Tru that. And im one LSD away then im saving for the Supercharger/Turbo. P-51 how much was your Quaife btw and where did you get it.
2000 ZX3 White
Magnaflow Exhaust, Steeda CAI, Ford Racing Headers, ORP, H&R Cup Kit, ST170 headlights, JMS Lip Kit,98-01 Euro front bumper, Shorty antenna, 17" Falken Circuit spec rims with 21540ZR17 Falken Fk-451 rubber, Brembo Rotors and Hks pads
That is a good suggestion... that is exactly the thoughts I've had as I'm preparing for the turbo, cause I'll be on-track with it. I had imagined it would just be a waiting game of less than good paced cornering in an effort to straighten it out to lay the power down... particularily in the low speed turns where you really want to come off the apex under power. Did you do all those things first or did you track it without the LSD and comp R's at some point?
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
I've never been on track without R compounds. Ok, that's not true. I took my Mustang on track once without R's, but I was young and stupid (hence the Mustang).

I can't think of any good reason to take a car on track without them.

Then I've been through various suspensions, but more or less always had the suspension worked. Then I put the Quaife in. It helps even before the turbo. Then I put the turbo, and did one track day on stock brakes before giving up on that. :lol: Then I did the Wilwoods. I now say the Wilwoods should be done first. Don't even try it with stock brakes.
P-51,Aug 16 2005, 01: Wrote:I've never been on track without R compounds.  Ok, that's not true.  I took my Mustang on track once without R's, but I was young and stupid (hence the Mustang).

I can't think of any good reason to take a car on track without them.

Then I've been through various suspensions, but more or less always had the suspension worked.  Then I put the Quaife in.  It helps even before the turbo.  Then I put the turbo, and did one track day on stock brakes before giving up on that.  :lol: Then I did the Wilwoods.  I now say the Wilwoods should be done first.  Don't even try it with stock brakes.
[right][snapback]133141[/snapback][/right]

The only reason to be on track without them is when you don't have any! But obviously, with due care. Never been on comp R tires, but anxiously await.

I've done 3 lapping days on the stock SVTF brakes, and they're only showing signs of death now(dunnville, max speed only 145km/h but 13 corners)... however, I boiled the brake fluid 3/4 of the way thru the first day lol. Oddly enough, only the 04' SVTF came with shitty fluid... can't recal what "dot", but one worse than all the others :rolleyes: Getting ready to head back on the track and hitting the firewall with the brake pedal is not a nice sensation... "I still gotta drive this sucker home!!" lol

Next year, mine should be a pretty competitive track car... will just have to get the driver adjusted accordingly. Maybe a couple of you turbo'd track veterans can help get me learned on some of the things you've come across... yeah, you can take it for hot laps too :P
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA