Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Question
Ok, first off I know ALOT about computers. I fix them as a side business, etc.....

Anyway this is completely stumbling me and I don't have a clue what it is. I'm running WINDOWS XP (service pack 2 NOT installed yet).

When I boot up, it takes a few seconds before the internet will work. So while it's sitting just after the boot up, something pops up quickly on the task bar (no writing on it) and then disappears. After that and only after that, the internet works.

Now it keeps popping up every 10 minutes or so and if I am in a program (gaming, etc) it boots me out of the game and back to the desktop. I have no clue what it is. I am using SHAW cable for my internet connection. I've got Norton Systemworks on my machine and recently switched to the one that SHAW offers for free. It has been doing this for months. Apparently the antivirus software has NO effect on it so it's not that. With different security programs installed it still happens.

I've also done all the anti-spyware removal and all that stuff. Basically everything is secure.

So what the hell is it? It only stays on the taskbar for like 1 second and you can't quickly right click it or try to maximize it to see what it is. You can double click it quickly or whatever but it doesn't maximize. I'm assuming it's some sort of shithead virus or something but nothing has been detected so many some sort of spyware that isn't being removed? That or I thought it was some maybe auto update from one of the programs I'm running.

I don't have anything 'strange' on my computer. The only 'internet' programs I use are Yahoo Messenger besides Internet Explorer to access the internet.

Any ideas? It's more of a piss off then anything, everything on the computer works perfectly but that stupid popup taskbar thing keeps booting me out of games, programs, videos, etc..... then I just go and click back onto them and good to go.

Also to add, I do have the MESSENGER SERVICE disabled so I don't get stupid popups from that also for the record......
It sounds like a window's system glitch. I know alot about computer's to. I to tech support for a Real job. Personally I would check your MSconfig and see what's loading at the start up. Disable thing's one by one and see if any of them cause it. If its not that then it might be a problem with your local area connection cutting in and out.

That stupid little icon down there will give you a popup if something happenes. So if your loosing your connection even for a second window's will tell you.
2000 ZX3
Could there be a problem with your internet connection or router/switch/hub? It could be windows briefly telling you that the connection is lost, then it comes back right away... ? Monitor your uptime for a while and see what it looks like.
Yeah I will check into that...... I've yet to have any interruptions in the internet connection while using the net even when that thing pops up which sorta adds to my 'process of elimination' to find out what the hell it is.

I'll check those things for sure though. Since it's on cable, maybe the loss of connection thing would do that since it's suppose to always be connected. I'll check out the MSconfig also tonight.
Curious... i've always had the same problem with my uncles computer too. he has DSL... when the computer boots up it takes a good 2 or 3 minutes before it even allows him to open up any networking configurations or connections.

This may not be the same problem but it sounds somewhat alike.

I thought it was normal though???
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I'll bet Nos could help you.

Oh wait.
I'm thinking it might be either a quick loss of internet connection causing something to 'kick back in' here and there. Since it hasn't done it right from the beginning, only started about 5-6 months ago and it's not extremely often I'm guessing it isn't any software I'm running...

So assuming so far......

1. ISP is got issues (cable internet off and on connecton?)
2. Virus (for some reason not detected by the top three virus companies out there)
3. Spyware (for some reason not detected)
4. Something else I have yet to figure out
I used to get something similar ... the network connection thing would pop on for like 5 seconds then disapear...

I called rogers to come in because I couldnt figure out why it was cutting out and my signal from the cable box outside was erratic and there was 1 cable in my house that was being weird and chopping the signal from time to time.

Im sure shaw will come to your house for free as well and check all your cable strengths ... its worth doing to rule out anything like that.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
Hey Ill tell you somthing that only me and a select few people know about computers. Its the window's fix me command. It will fix window's no matter whats happening....

Format c:
2000 ZX3
tdot-zx3,Aug 10 2005, 11: Wrote:I used to get something similar ... the network connection thing would pop on for like 5 seconds then disapear...

I called rogers to come in because I couldnt figure out why it was cutting out and my signal from the cable box outside was erratic and there was 1 cable in my house that was being weird and chopping the signal from time to time.

Im sure shaw will come to your house for free as well and check all your cable strengths ... its worth doing to rule out anything like that.
[right][snapback]130862[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I'm starting to wonder if that's it cause as I said, I've checked everything I can think of already. Thanks for your input!
check your task manager for anything that doesn't look right, google the process and see what it tells you. Or just re-install windows... fix that problem no time.

I have a saying, I can fix any windows based problem in under 1.5 hours :)
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
try disconnecting the computer from the network and see if the problem goes away.. at least that'll give you an idea if it's network related or not.

if it turns out to be network, check the simple stuff like making sure the power cords to the modem, router, etc are all firmly plugged in and not in tripping distance or crimped.

if you want to see if it's a network connection that continually goes down, try running a playlist on internet radio and see if it skips to the backup servers... it can give you an idea if it's the net constantly going down.

next step is to run adware, etc.. see if it comes up with anything...

that's a start...
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

it could also be early signs of a bad network card.
My other ride is your Mom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for the computer geeks. Focus man. Focus. 14 6,391 07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Last Post: j3rt
  Computer video card question GEEKERY! NefCanuck 23 10,450 05-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck
  Stupid Computer Question 01-yellow-ZX3 8 3,327 11-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me
  Computer Temp Question Chromey 20 4,949 08-01-2006, 06:53 AM
Last Post: Aka
  Help! Computer Question. Fx-60 Or 4800+ scoobasteve 12 5,546 08-01-2006, 04:57 AM
Last Post: scoobasteve
  Computer Networking Question S2 42 14,911 12-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me