Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Watts Is It Safe To Run W/out A Cap?
How many watts can you run without a cap? I have two amps, one is 400w, the other is 340w... I also have the FC 2 piece UDP (not on the alternator). Should I be looking at getting a cap?
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
dont know exactly how many watts its safe to have one ..but I have 1 1000w amp and a 400w..without one..just a good optima battery, bosch alternator, UDP's and I also had to take out the pulley from the alt...battery wasnt charging too much...(that's in the truck..not the fucus)...Ive heard they are a waist....
00 DAKOTA R/T.......I just didnt like the torque of the Focus thats all...!!!
Before I get flamed...

Cap's are overrated... I'm running just under 1000W and I've never had a problem...wouldnt waste time, effort, or money on a cap...
I have stock alternator and battery as well, just incase it matters. Battery is 5 yrs old.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
dont waste your money on a cap. A cap wont solve your problems. Do the BIG 3, upgrade your battery and alternator. A cap needs current and can only handle what the alternator can dish out.
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)
GlennH,Aug 7 2005, 11:43 AM Wrote:dont waste your money on a cap. A cap wont solve your problems. Do the BIG 3, upgrade your battery and alternator. A cap needs current and can only handle what the alternator can dish out.
[right][snapback]128855[/snapback][/right]

Exactly^^^

Dont waste your money!!
Anybody have recommendations for a beefier alternator? I'm assuming they can't be all that difficult to install.
2000 Black ZX3
wat the hell r u planning on running, the stock alternator in the focus is like 100amp, on the 05 it's 105amp. You'd have to be running some serious s**t.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
LOL Well I haven't had problems, I'm just wondering in case I'm setting my alternator up for an early death.
2000 Black ZX3
A system that is putting down 1400W rms (not peak!..minimum Watts) will be drawing around 188 current amps....I dont think anyone on here is running that kind of a system except possibly 2 people!!

My system is 800W rms and I draw around 128 current amps on my 2005 with no issues!

The majority of people, based on what gear you have seem to be in the 800-1000W rms range....
Yeah this is around 740w MAX, so I don't think I should have any problems. Thanks for the advice guys
2000 Black ZX3
I haven't noticed any issues yet.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Im running a total of 1476wrms for the bass amp plus 425wrms for the frant and another 425 for the rear, and drawing about 360 amps total. Now the thing is that all your ratings for max amperage only occur if all amps are driven tot their fullest at a certain frequency, when I run SPL the most my system draws is 225 amps about 60 percent of peak amperage draw possible. I had a cap on it but really no help, when I upgrade the grounds (0 gauge all the way around) and put in the yellow top, then it made a difference. Just like the rattles (200lbs of dynomat later) though, with my system the diming headlights is going to occur, but upgrading the gorunds and positive (as well to the alternator) sure makes a huge difference in maintaing system voltage. IMO caps are more for show, although I would love to try one of those Bat Caps!

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
NoiSeeVT,Aug 7 2005, 07:48 PM Wrote:Now the thing is that all your ratings for max amperage only occur if all amps are driven tot their fullest at a certain frequency, when I run SPL the most my system draws is 225 amps about 60 percent of peak amperage draw possible...
[right][snapback]128939[/snapback][/right]

Ummm...ok...

I disagree with that statement but, whatever!!

bottom line is, your system must sound crazy!!!

p.s. I think the dimming headlights is just part of big stereos because even my stereo does it to my car...
the dimming lights on my truck were b4 the blue top(yes marine..but same as the yellow top optima)..and the new alternator..even the headlights were dimming...after those changes..no more dimming...!!

you r more than ok without a cap...rather go get yourself an audiocontrol EQX or so...that makes any stereo sound amazing.!
00 DAKOTA R/T.......I just didnt like the torque of the Focus thats all...!!!

Ummm...ok...

I disagree with that statement but, whatever!!

bottom line is, your system must sound crazy!!!

p.s. I think the dimming headlights is just part of big stereos because even my stereo does it to my car...
[right][snapback]128944[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
WHy do you disagree, most amps never draw what they are fused for or what the box says, or is it something else???
David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
Grounding is and has always been my biggest concern. I plan on upgrading my power wire from it's current 8 ga to 2 ga from the battery to a distribution block, run 2 sets of 8 ga. from the dist. block to the amps, then run 2 ga from the amps to the ground. Think that'll be enough?
2000 Black ZX3
Hmmm...both my headlights, and my dash backlighting used to dim in my car...after putting in the Cap, it stopped doing it...I dunno, I always found that the Cap's seem to help bolster the charging system, as well as provide the amp with an instant surge of current than the alternator can send...

Sounds like other people had different results...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Yeah in my old car I ran an 800watt thump amp for the door speakers and a 1000watt 2 channel kenwood for the subs and I was getting some light dim. I replaced the battery with a redtop, had my alt rebuilt for higher output at ferris electric, and then I did the magic 3 (bat to ground, engine to ground, pos bat to alternator.)...once all that junk was done I had tons of power and no more light dim.

Power flow is the key here. Caps are what most call "the bandaid fix".
Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.
it is safe to run 183719371111 watts...

tough question.

i was running over 1kw rms... since i got my car. but i have killed 2 alternators.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold