Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Sub Suggestions
Alright, it's time to get STUPID.

We've decided that there will be no second car. After the new home theatre projector goes in in September(ish), car audio will be augmented... a tad.

What subwoofers can I trust beyond Pioneer Premier? JBL? Rockford Fosgate?

I'd upgrade my amp as well, and throw in a new cap.

Also, I'm looking for a box design that will allow me to keep the enclosure as close to the rear seatbacks as possible. Suggestions?

I'll be posting up the free air requirements for the Premier subs I want shortly. ;)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Get a Clarion sub...

I've had 3 different ones and they've all been great. Good price, quality, and they can take a beating..

I've actually passed on one of my old Clarion woofers in a custom box to another FC memebr that has been very pleased!

I think JL subs are good but, too much money for what most people actually plan for their systems.

MB Quart Subs are very excellent too but, again you pay for them!!

Phoenix Gold has a number of excellent woofers that are reasonably priced and I've heard their customer service is top-notch@

Then there is Alpine, they have several different woofers that all perform well, take a beating, and dont kill your wallet...you really cant go wrong with Alpine gear in my opinion!!!

there are many others but, none that I care to discuss!
Cerwin Vega also makes a really nice sub, not a hungry power bitch, as they are very efficient, and they aren't overly expensive either.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Phantom,Jul 31 2005, 01:42 PM Wrote:Cerwin Vega also makes a really nice sub, not a hungry power bicth, as they are very efficient, and they aren't overly expensive either.
[right][snapback]126584[/snapback][/right]

what vega you talking about...last i checked they needed quite a bit to push 12"

killer subs though...killer kiler subs!@!
Your right Vega's are a better subs and there for produce More bass with less power then a lets say JBL sub even rater with high power rating.

I had 2 vega 12's and they pounded the s**t outa my car... Broke the seal on my gas tank.

Vega's are just a better woofer... Have fun getting then though.
Last I checked the no one seem's to carry them. And Vega's require a custom box as there a weird sub.

I happen to have a customer built 2X12' sub box... thing is huge
2000 ZX3
I would have to say, Alpine Type R's give a hell of a bang for the buck.

Great sub for the price you pay. You don't need a 1000 dollar amp to run em.
Run your car, not your mouth
2001 Audio Video carry's the Vega's, i was impressed with how much bass it put out with a little amp
[img]http://www.focuscanada.net/images/fc_logo_black.gif[img]
If you want to go crazy my single 12 Alpine type x is pounding harder than many multiple subs. Go two type r's if your wanting the symmetry of dual subs, but my single twelve in a slot ported box only takes roughly two cubic feet for a box, and one for sealed. And it is plenty loud, so far hitting 145.1 DB's.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
ZOOM,Jul 31 2005, 07:40 PM Wrote:I would have to say, Alpine Type R's give a hell of a bang for the buck.

Great sub for the price you pay. You don't need a 1000 dollar amp to run em.
[right][snapback]126617[/snapback][/right]

HEHEHE I love my type R.... But I miss my Vega's. If you get a good set of vega's you will be ruined on all other sub's.
Not even for the bass cause there are louder sub's. But the Vega's are a good bass, You will love em if you get em.
2000 ZX3
Get Coustic... great prices! I'd never personally get a 15" sub. I've had 3 different subs. All 12" subs too. I'm going to do a 10" sub in a nice ported box. Maybe look into Kaption Audio.
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)
JL --> great sub but kinda pricey. Try Adire Audio.
Second that on the JL, and if you want to know the benefits of sizes pick up this months issue of Car Audio and Electronics, Derek Lee talks about it in the Troubleshooting section

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
I have a JL 12".

It hits plenty hard for me.

However, my system is built for fidelity, not bass.
Go with an alpine type X with a alpine MRD-M1000 monoblock on it. :)
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I checked out the Clarion stuff on the net... *eliminated from competition*

I'll investigate the Alpine stuff fo sho. I have a local dealer I can kick around (two, really) for lines on stuff, but I'll probably end up giving Jarrod some business too :)

Oscar's supposed to come by tonight at some point... going to twin up his two 10" Pioneers on my 1200W Legacy to see if I like the way they sound.

I love Cerwin Vega stuff, didn't know they did car audio subs tho. As for JL, I've reconsidered on that stuff - kind falls into my Civic Nation theory. Everyone has em, everyone knows they pound. Time for something different.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Krazy Kiley's here in my city carriers Cerwin Vega, the new stuff is all easy to power with low power amps, but I wanna run 2 12's so I'll be going some mass power still I like the bass. :D
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 2 2005, 01:30 PM Wrote:As for JL, I've reconsidered on that stuff - kind falls into my Civic Nation theory. Everyone has em, everyone knows they pound. Time for something different.
[right][snapback]127156[/snapback][/right]

Maybe there's a reason for this theory. I mean you could drive with your feet to be different but it doesn't mean it should be done!
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 2 2005, 01:30 PM Wrote:Oscar's supposed to come by tonight at some point... going to twin up his two 10" Pioneers on my 1200W Legacy to see if I like the way they sound.
[right][snapback]127156[/snapback][/right]

Dude, sorry I got back from TÃmiscamingue at 5:30pm. Went home then tried to find you. Nowhere to be found.

PS: Please take your cell phone and turn it on when you are out... Sheesh. :P
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I went to Stockfish tonight, and then was tied up for the remainder.

I'm doing the DRL fog mod tomorrow if time allows.

I paid $89 each for my subs, $100 for my box, $200 for my amp, and $180 for my cap. It sounds a lot better overall than most people would think for how little was invested...thumps good, and sounds clean, even with the stock 6x8's still in the car. You wouldn't be wasting your time with the PowerAcoustik stuff.

Bleeding Ford Blue again...