Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Weird Stereo Problem
Okay the weird sub problem in someone else's car doesn't bother me... the weird stereo problem in MY car? Not acceptable. Here's the problem:

Gone away for 3 weeks, left sub & amp in g/f's car (connected). Sub & Amp works fine in her car, no worries.

She returned sub and amp yesterday (after much pleading with me to keep it) and I reinstalled it.

Here's what's weird: Radio works, but if the volume exceeds 15, the sub and speakers start making noise... like I was listening to the hardest house music imaginable... the bass just goes nuts. If I disconnect the sub, and set the deck to play just on the speakers, the sound comes up at about volume 20.

Weirdest part: This doesn't happen when listening to a CD.

Other weird things: Whenever I turn off my car, I always turn the sound down to 00... when I turn on the car and turn the music up, the sub makes a little "thud"... this happens when I go from 00 to 01 in volume, then it's fine. Also, when I have the volume really low, sometimes the sub makes a little chatter... barely noticeable, but I'm listening for problems that weren't there before. Aside from that everything SEEMS to be okay... but who knows. Anyone have any idea what this could be related to? None of the settings on the amp were changed while I was away, and to my knowledge my car was only driven to Oil Changers to get it's... oil changed :o and emissions test done. I cannot drive without my stereo... I need it. Someone help.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Well Rain, I asked a few buddies and the only thing we can come up with is you damaged the transceiver in the deck. Somehow you must had shorted it out.
If anyone has a better answer go for it.

And the Thud when you go from 0 to 1 is normal. When your at 0 the deck cuts off the signal in a way. It happen's to every one but not many people notice. Dont worry about that.
2000 ZX3
Mason,Jul 20 2005, 09:24 AM Wrote:Well Rain, I asked a few buddies and the only thing we can come up with is you damaged the transceiver in the deck. Somehow you must had shorted it out.
If anyone has a better answer go for it.

And the Thud when you go from 0 to 1 is normal. When your at 0 the deck cuts off the signal in a way. It happen's to every one but not many people notice. Dont worry about that.
[right][snapback]123727[/snapback][/right]

I've had the sub & amp set up the exact same way for 2 yrs, that thud has never happened before... ever. I also notice a grumble when changing tracks on a CD... also new.

Could it be a fuse or something stupid like that?
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
No not a fuse. If there was a fuse problem then it just wouldnt work...
If your getting feed back when you switch CD's aswell then you most likly have damage to the deck.

Take it to Futureshop or bestbuy and get them to test it. I dont think they charge to do that.
2000 ZX3
I think that what you are hearing is feedback from the deck, which is being created by a short to the ground. More than likely the ground in, or to the head unit. The amp is merely doing what it's supposed to do...amplify whatever is sent at it, including noise. Have a look to see if any of the wires are pinched or exposed in behind the deck, including the antenna cable. It's quite possible that you damaged an internal ground in the HU too while hooking everything back up (don't feel bad if this is the case, I did that with a Premeir HU a long time ago and had to have the IC's inside of it replaced 2x before the deck operated 100% again).
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Sweet, I was asking my father today it could be the ground and he said I was an idiot... but I'll check the ground tomorrow. Anyone have one of those keys so I can get the deck out? I can't find my set.
2000 Black ZX3
A bad ground on the deck is not likly. Did you take the deck out at anypoint or touch the deck. Hll even move the deck. If not... then its not gonna be the deck ground.

But go ahead and check. But while your pulling it out if you dont find any issue with wireing. Have the deck tested.

And im not sure what key's your talkin about.... The focus deck has no keys.
2000 ZX3
Raine,Jul 20 2005, 09:46 PM Wrote:Sweet, I was asking my father today it could be the ground and he said I was an idiot... but I'll check the ground tomorrow. Anyone have one of those keys so I can get the deck out? I can't find my set.
[right][snapback]124011[/snapback][/right]

Trim up an old clothes hanger and use it as a key. It's what I did.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Clothes hanger won't work. There are little l-shaped pieces of metal that slide between the deck and the cage to release it. It's not a stock deck
2000 Black ZX3
stock or aftermarket deck al?
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Raine,Jul 21 2005, 12:22 PM Wrote:Clothes hanger won't work. There are little l-shaped pieces of metal that slide between the deck and the cage to release it. It's not a stock deck
[right][snapback]124149[/snapback][/right]

oh those little f-ers. I used straightened out tywraps. NOS had some flexible metal stuff, bout an inch wide with holes in the middle, and we made some from that.

Tinstrips + Metal + Me = MacGyver - Mullet + 100lbs :lol:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Aftermarket, Pioneer DEH-P6400. As I said, worked fine before I went to Europe, facked now that I'm back home. I coulda pulled something while hooking the sub back up (i.e. RCA's or Remote wire) that jostled something loose at the back of the deck, but I can't get the deck out without a stupid key, so I can't check behind. Something interesting to note... at first I was unable to pick up any radio stations... now I can but when I turn the volume up, the psycho thudding happens...
2000 Black ZX3
check behind the deck....

you can probably rig something up with 2 flat pieces of metal...

shouldnt be too hard.

which mounting kit are you using?
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Jul 21 2005, 03:06 PM Wrote:which mounting kit are you using?
[right][snapback]124251[/snapback][/right]

No name brand that looks the same as everyone else's :P I've tried jerryrigging a few things to get it out but nothing is working. I'll swing by Future Shop or 2001 Audio Video tomorrow and borrow a set of keys

2000 Black ZX3
Al..i got keys..
Get that flexible metal strapping Oscar was talking about, it's the heavy-duty stuff they sell at Crappy, and then literally cut lengthwise down the strip. Then cut the overall strips size to what you want. I'd take a pic but I'm lazy and don't wanna go out to the car. :lol:

It pulls decks like MJ pulls down little kids' pants.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
lol... have you tried to get the whole mounting kit out of the car... some of the no name ones come out real easy.. just squeeze the sides.
05 Altima SE-R
Alrite, got the deck out of the car (got a set of keys from FS) and unfortunately there is nothing wrong with the wiring. I mean I checked EVERY wire.. everything is connected exactly as it should be.. and it would be because it's worked perfectly since I installed the first deck in the car over 2.5 years ago (the current one has been in since last Sept. with no problems. It was a pioneer as well, so just plug & play).

So here's the recap: turn on the deck, whatever speakers are on make a little thud (the subwoofer makes a considerably more noticiable one due to the fact that it's bigger). If I turn on the lights, there is a light thud. If I turn off the car but have the deck still on, again, a light thud.

The deck is grounded properly

The sub is grounded properly

The problem persists even with the sub off.

Help me
2000 Black ZX3
Go have the deck tested.
2000 ZX3
hey al, do you have any of your old pioneer decks to test?
05 Altima SE-R

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird Subwoofer Problem In Buddy's Car Raine 20 4,579 06-29-2005, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Raine