Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well Duh....
Quote:Ontario drivers pay more for insurance: study

Ontario drivers are paying up to 45 per cent more for auto insurance than their counterparts in British Columbia, according to a study by the Consumers' Association of Canada.

The average annual rate in Ontario is $2,383, compared to $1,324 in B.C., suggests the study. And those same results were found not only in Toronto, but also in cities such as Sudbury, Windsor, Guelph and London.

"Consumers in Ontario have been clearly harmed by outrageous price increases for auto insurance over the past three years,'' said association president Bruce Cran in a statement.

However, the Insurance Bureau of Canada disagrees. It says that the average premium in Ontario is $1,279, and that premiums are down 15 per cent since November 2003.

"Clearly, free market, private competition is alive and well in Ontario," said Mark Yakabuski, the vice-president of IBC.

He added that the average claim paid out in Ontario is $8,878. compared to $2,391 in B.C., where the product is delivered by a government monopoly.

"Very simply, you get a lot more for your money in Ontario," said Yakabuski.

Cran disagrees. He said: "Victims of crashes have also been impacted by the Ontario government's actions of imposing a $30,000 deductible on benefits paid to them."

"Innocent victims of crashes have suffered at the hands of the insurance industry while this industry continues to put billions of dollars of profits in its pockets.''

Cran blames the high premiums on so-called independent brokers, who are choosing only to sell products from one or two insurance companies.

"An overwhelming compelling message has emerged from the Study for consumers in Ontario," said Cran. "Shop widely among many brokers and use the Internet to find the lowest auto insurance quote."

CTV news

how many studies do they have to do to figure out what everyone else(insurees) already know???
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
ZX5focused,Jul 19 2005, 03:30 PM Wrote:how many studies do they have to do to figure out what everyone else(insurees) already know???
[right][snapback]123449[/snapback][/right]

No s**t heh.

:lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
It's like the article I read about smoking causing gum desease......

Ummm yeah. :rolleyes:
Until the Ontario government gets serious and tells the insurance companies to either straighten up their act or the government will become the sole auto insurer, nothing will change.

The only way to force the insurance companies to change their ways is to threaten to take away their business IMO. Nothing else has worked, the policy of catering to the insurance companies has done nothing but screw over the consumer in Ontario with lower benefits and higher premiums.

NefCanuck
Wow, reason 848,538 to move to BC.

Why am I still here?
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Seriously, guys... move to North Bay. I'm under $1700/year for full everything on the Focus for Sara and I. She JUST got her G.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
good ol 1100 a year here...

id rather pay my 300 a month and live in Toronto, then $90 and live here!!

did the insurance compnaies of ontario release their profits last year, and it was something like 56 million profit in one year...holy moly. Or maybe im making things up?
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 19 2005, 08:08 PM Wrote:Seriously, guys... move to North Bay. I'm under $1700/year for full everything on the Focus for Sara and I. She JUST got her G.
[right][snapback]123474[/snapback][/right]

I am paying roughly $1300/year with full coverage and I am only 26. I priced out just getting the basic coverage and I would only save myself 200 a year.

One thing I wish they would do is have a standard rate for every new driver to start out at. Based on your driving record your rates go up or down, cause we can all agree that age doesn't always mean a bad driver. There is no reason why this isn't blatant discrimination against youths. Sure the studies show that perhaps young drivers tend to speed get in accidents etc... but not all of them. If this logic holds true why don't we label all black men as thieves and drug dealers? sure there are a lot of them that do that, but it's politically incorrect to say black men seal and sell drugs, because not all of them do.

what is the difference?
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
nass,Jul 19 2005, 04:19 PM Wrote:If this logic holds true why don't we label all black men as thieves and drug dealers? sure there are a lot of them that do that, but it's politically incorrect to say black men seal and sell drugs, because not all of them do. 

what is the difference?
[right][snapback]123481[/snapback][/right]

Oh god....Maybe I should lock this before Jay get's his .02 cents in. :unsure:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 19 2005, 04:08 PM Wrote:Seriously, guys... move to North Bay. I'm under $1700/year for full everything on the Focus for Sara and I. She JUST got her G.
[right][snapback]123474[/snapback][/right]

Lucky bastard. I pay like $2000.00... for only 6 goddamn months :angry:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
$1300/year.

In Ontario.

2 cars.

:P
$5,100/year

2 cars
1 motorcycle
1 house
2800 per year...

2 cars.
2 drivers
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Flofocus,Jul 19 2005, 08:25 PM Wrote:
nass,Jul 19 2005, 04:19 PM Wrote:If this logic holds true why don't we label all black men as thieves and drug dealers? sure there are a lot of them that do that, but it's politically incorrect to say black men seal and sell drugs, because not all of them do. 

what is the difference?

[right][snapback]123485[/snapback][/right]

I should have added that I didn't mean any offence or anything I just took a typical stereotype and used it. I mean I have a black friend, I am not racist!

:ph34r:
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
$1600/yr - Occassional Driver on the Focus. I have a clean record, took Young Drivers (which means s**t all apparently), and have never been in an accident.

21 - Male - Single

Online quotes give me $5000-5600 for anything from a 1983 Jetta Diesel to a 1990 Toyota Supra Turbo (just some examples I chose to try and see how much the price varried). I know that if I called them I'd get a lower quote, but really why would you quote someone such a high number? It certainly can't attract customers.
nass,Jul 19 2005, 09:24 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Jul 19 2005, 08:25 PM Wrote:

what is the difference?

[right][snapback]123485[/snapback][/right]

I should have added that I didn't mean any offence or anything I just took a typical stereotype and used it. I mean I have a black friend, I am not racist!

[right][snapback]123512[/snapback][/right]

haha you have A black friend?? If you know how many black friends you have... your racist lol

Courtesy of Dave Chappelle
nass,Jul 19 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:I am not racist!

Don't worry, the rest of us make up for your shortcomings in that dept. :P
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Raine,Jul 19 2005, 11:07 PM Wrote:
nass,Jul 19 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:I am not racist!

Don't worry, the rest of us make up for your shortcomings in that dept. :P
[right][snapback]123552[/snapback][/right]

:lol: damn right
To be honest I don't have any black friends... am I racist? :(

I don't think it's really any fault of anyone though. The town I grew up in was pretty much 99.99999% white. So making a friend who wasn't white, was well... you had to go out of your way just to find someone who wasn't white.

am I a bad person?
Just got my renewal with the Focus: $2592 including service charges for A/W, last renewal with a '95 Olds was $1944 inc. service charges.

33, single, one chargeable claim in 2002 (rear ended a zombie)

-sigh- Public Auto Ins. can't be worse...

NefCanuck