Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recovering Data After A Quick Format
I have a program you can use. Let me get on MSN while I back this s**t up to DVD.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I think I managed to recover it all. I guess I'll find out if it's currupted or what, but we'll see.

Thanks

Edit: thankfully it hadn't actually done much damage. I was regretting having to run some of the software I mentioned because it'd take some 20 hours just to find all the stuff on the 200 gig drive.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Actually no... only recovered 115 GB of it. The reat that was "erased" will have to be found using recovery software.

Windows also wanted to run a check disk on it when I booted, I told it "F**K NO" just incase heh.,... otherwise I'd probably have a ton of file000001.chk or whatever it makes.
Aka,Jul 12 2005, 09:24 PM Wrote:Actually no... only recovered 115 GB of it. The reat that was "erased" will have to be found using recovery software.

Windows also wanted to run a check disk on it when I booted, I told it "F**K NO" just incase heh.,... otherwise I'd probably have a ton of file000001.chk or whatever it makes.
[right][snapback]121610[/snapback][/right]

You managed more than I would have thought. I would still recommend a good unerase program for an attempt to recover the rest...

NefCanuck
Yeah, I grabbed one someone pointed out on another forum. Told it to scan the whole drive. 17 hours... down to 16 now... I can see it recovering things already. Looks like I'll get it all back. But not until 4pm tomorrow.
Gah! 6 more hours! lol

Watch it take another 20 hours to copy the files over O_O
Aka,Jul 13 2005, 09:56 AM Wrote:Gah! 6 more hours! lol

Watch it take another 20 hours to copy the files over O_O
[right][snapback]121703[/snapback][/right]

This is why you make a backup image of your drive before you do any internal PC work reveloving around swapping/adding HD's. Too many things can (and do) go wrong not to take that extra step.

NefCanuck
This was the back up :P

I put it in while I was swapping cases cuz I wanted to be lazy and not have to take it apart a few hundred times. I do this all the time. I just happened to screw up this time.

Atleast I've learned something, how to recover the data. The tools are dirt simple lol...

but I remember recovering data a few times after deleted partitions, you just recreate the partition exactly how it was, and voilla, everything is back. That wouldn't work in my case though... besides, Windows could read 66% of the drives data, but said there was 7 gigs free. So it knew there was an almost full drive, but it didn't know where 60 gigs had gone. And that's where the recovery application comes in.

At anyrate, I'll probably do it all the same again, though next time just leave the Molex connector off the backup drive until it's needed.

Also, it's hard to make a backup image of a few hundred GB. To do that in my server would be asking for death... it's got 1.3 TB in it now. None of my data, well a small portion it "mission critical" and that gets backed up onto DVDs. The rest isn't mission critical, but I still hate losing it. I can't possibly back up everything, unless I go out, buy a ton of drives, and RAID5 everything (stripping with redundancy I believe). Then I don't need to back up so much, but if one drive fails in the RAID, I dont' lose anything. If two fail, well then somethings seriously wrong that two would fail at the same time. But yeah, then I'd be screwed.
Aka,Jul 13 2005, 10:10 AM Wrote:This was the back up :P

Also, it's hard to make a backup image of a few hundred GB. To do that in my server would be asking for death... it's got 1.3 TB in it now. None of my data, well a small portion it "mission critical" and that gets backed up onto DVDs. The rest isn't mission critical, but I still hate losing it. I can't possibly back up everything, unless I go out, buy a ton of drives, and RAID5 everything (stripping with redundancy I believe). Then I don't need to back up so much, but if one drive fails in the RAID, I dont' lose anything. If two fail, well then somethings seriously wrong that two would fail at the same time. But yeah, then I'd be screwed.
[right][snapback]121714[/snapback][/right]

Ouch... I know there are a few tape drive around that can handle the capacity that you need, not cheap (Using RAID & several HD's would be cheaper) but I always like to have a backup media that doesn't rely on several other factors in order to work properly.

Which remainds me, I have to do a full backup of my system this weekend... joy /sarcasm

NefCanuck
I back up only stuff that matters. Like family pictures.
I wish DVD9 discs would hurry up and come down in price.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I don't even know where to buy any. Not that I've looked really hard or anything, but nothings popped out at me.

Besides, I bought a stupid LG DVD burner, they never release firmware upgrades to give you extra features like dual layer.