Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Product Review
I thought this would be a reallyt cool idea for us to start doing.

I slipped into Crappy Tire today to get some wheel stuff for the car.
I was looking for something that will help with the evelasting battle we Focus owners face with caliper dust.

I wanted a repelant and walked out with the Michelin 3-Step Tire care kit.

So without further adeu....

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[Image: MICHTIRE.jpg]

Michelin 3-Step tire care kit.
$24.99

I picked it up figuring it was a pretty good deal seeing each component was 10.99 on it's own.

Now I'm sure it won't do the same job something say Microbunny could get a hold of, but I figured it should do the trick.

Step1:

Apply the tire/rim cleaner soap.
It sprays in a foam and was instructed to let sit for 20 seconds. I then agitated the soap with my toilet brush with sponge I picked up at the dollar store to clean the rims with. The caliper dust began to come off the rim. It was leaving the rim clean and beading. Something I have never seen before.

I scrubbed the tires with this and found the water coming off the tires was brown and sticky. Now granted my tires are only a couple of weeks old, I have already applied several coats of other products to maintain a shine.

It asks that you completely dry and cool the wheel the before applying step 2.

Step 2:

Step 2 is a kind of Armour-all so to say. It's different though. It's thicker and doesn't sling or spray like Armour-all. One of things that pissed me off so much about armour all, was the fact that it shot up the side of your car the moment you went for a spin.

Instructions were to apply and let soak in. I sprayed the tires liberally and took a break to shoot the s**t witht he neighbour. I then dry clothed (that also came witht he kit) the tires. The product completely soaked into the rubber and left no residue.

Step 3:

Rim foam with caliper dust repelant.

Very wiered product. This comes out the cosistancy os shaving cream, and dries in a few seconds.
It instructs to wipe rim with a dry cloth.

After drying the rim, it's wiered to the touch. Slippery but not wet. Almost as if the product was a wax.

The rims, I can say have never looked this good. The step one stripped the rim right down the clean surface. I think it took of 6 years of dust I just couldn't get off with elbow grease.

Did it make my life easier??? No. I still had to get down there and scrub.
Did it make my wheels look like new. Yes.
Did it make the rubber looke wet? It sure did. And didn't sling!!!
Did the dust repelant work??? I'll take pictures over the next few days to let you all know!

Recommended?
Yes.

For the simple fact that it really removed the dust residue that I couldn't get off in the past.

DAY ONE: (PICS WERE TAKEN IN THE DARK)

[Image: RIM3.jpg]
[Image: RIM2.jpg]
[Image: RIM1.jpg]
i guess you wouldn't have any before pics so we know how bad they were to begin with.... as a reference point
Below Average Car Club
schade,Jul 8 2005, 12:23 AM Wrote:i guess you wouldn't have any before pics so we know how bad they were to begin with.... as a reference point
[right][snapback]120230[/snapback][/right]

Go outside and look at your car.

Or another Focus that has an owner that won't do wheels
Thanks for the review! Great idea! I've been looking for some product to clean up my rims too! I appreciate you taking the time to do this! Gonna go get me some tomorrow!!
jabber,Jul 17 2005, 12:49 AM Wrote:Thanks for the review!  Great idea!  I've been looking for some product to clean up my rims too!  I appreciate you taking the time to do this!  Gonna go get me some tomorrow!!
[right][snapback]122997[/snapback][/right]

I have been usng the kit for about a month (in my never ending 200+ dollars worth detailing arsenal it is my go to products) :lol: now and their pretty good products with some downfalls. The wheel cleaner is acid free and has a neutral ph balance so the stuff couldn't hurt any type of wheel but it's not as strong as let's say a better cleaner like eagle one's AtoZ or all wheel and tire cleaner(same stuff but changed the name when they changed the formula and bottle) Works well but more scrubbing is required and won't take off really caked on brake dust.

The tire shine is the thing i dislike the most, tire absorbes it all and a drive through a bit of rain and it's gone since it is purely water based like armour all 303 aerospace etc... It takes about 3 to 4 coats on our tires to give it a dark matte finish. This stuff a little bit goes along way, the best thing to do anthony is to use a eagle one tire swipe and give it 3 to 4 squirts and apply it to the tire and let it sit and give it a few more coats for your desired look.

The repellent seems to work well, it doesn't really repel dust much but makes the wheels easier to clean in the future. Makes the wheels look like they were waxed after application, makes them look nice. Overall it's a god package and a free microfiber towel to boot which is nice.

I like meguiars endurance for tire shine and it lasts for weeks no matter the weather. Water beads of the tires, nice stuff. If anyone needs and detailing help or have and questions i am glad to help b/c detailing is what i love doing and have put a good few years into it.

For good car care help go to http://www.autopia.org, i am a member there and it's the best spot for detailing advice :)

I might do a few reviews later this week for everyone
I have a list of stuff here below and if anyone wants to know what any product is like give me a shout
I not trying to steal microbunny's crown for fc pro detailer he has more experience then i do and has his own line of stuff but for the average joe like most of us that shops at crappy everyday for most stuff i can help as best i can ;)

Armor All car wash (cold water formula)
Eagle One Wet Car Wash
Mothers step 1 pre wax cleaner
Mothers step 2 sealer and glaze
Turtle wax platinum series ultra gloss
meguairs nxt tech wax
eagle one wax as you dry
armour all protectant
turtle wax platinum series ultra gloss protectant
303 aerospace protectant
michelin tire shine
mothers back to black
michelin wheel and tire cleaner
michelin brake dust repellent
mothers chrome polish
meguairs plastx polish
meguiars quik detailer
mothers showtime detailer
stoner's invisible glass
rain x glass polish
turtle wax power out carpet cleaner
turtle wax power out uphoulstery cleaner
armour all oxi magic carpet cleaner

I also have megs applicators,poorboys microfiber's,simoniz towels etc.. etc...

If there is one thing i can tell anyone get yourself some good microfiber's for your paint, it's the best thing and i am sure microbunny has a line of them at his shop and if not http://www.eshine.ca is where i got mine. :) It's a good shop with mostly boutique products that alot of pro's use for those mirror finishes.If i was everyone id stop in at micro's store and check ouit thier stuff, i would if i lived in Ontario. :)

I wonder if jason would make a detailing forum :D
My Mom Says I'm Special
ill let you in on a secret i found out from some truckers - who take great pride in their rigs and apperance with tires -

* first go to a trucking supply place

* second - look for a product called "gunk - tire spray"

*its about 6$ a can thru a truck place and about 14$ a can thru anyone else if you can find it - (ive only found it at western star truck center in barrie)

* third go home and spray it on.... "it smells like cotton candy.MMMMM :rolleyes: :D

* this spray repels dirt and dust on the tires and rims (plus it makes them shiny)

*Finally - if you dont believe me go down a dirt road and check it out for yourself..

focus gone - 2005 mazda 6 sport gt wagon - lovin it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
focusnme,Jul 18 2005, 07:46 AM Wrote:ill let you in on a secret i found out from some truckers - who take great pride in their rigs and apperance with tires -

*its about 6$ a can thru a truck place and about 14$ a can thru anyone else if you can find it - (ive only found it at western star truck center in barrie)

* third go home and spray it on.... "it smells like cotton candy.MMMMM :rolleyes:  :D

* this spray repels dirt and dust on the tires and rims (plus it makes them shiny)

*Finally - if you dont believe me go down a dirt road and check it out for yourself..
[right][snapback]123119[/snapback][/right]
:o

driving out to a fifth wheel tonight.
focusnme,Jul 18 2005, 07:46 AM Wrote:ill let you in on a secret i found out from some truckers - who take great pride in their rigs and apperance with tires -

* third go home and spray it on.... "it smells like cotton candy.MMMMM :rolleyes:  :D

[right][snapback]123119[/snapback][/right]

I am going to ask my uncle about that stuff :) seems to be quite the stuff.
My Mom Says I'm Special
where's microbunny's shop? i'd like to get some products
SLIP STREAM SVT,Sep 7 2005, 01:09 PM Wrote:where's microbunny's shop? i'd like to get some products
[right][snapback]139772[/snapback][/right]

He doesn;t work there anymore. :(
ANTHONYD,Sep 7 2005, 02:38 PM Wrote:
SLIP STREAM SVT,Sep 7 2005, 01:09 PM Wrote:where's microbunny's shop? i'd like to get some products
[right][snapback]139772[/snapback][/right]

He doesn;t work there anymore. :(
[right][snapback]139784[/snapback][/right]

Micro told me they don't sell the stuff anyway :( I was going to get him to get me some stuff
My Mom Says I'm Special
awww that sux. maybe he can start his own detailling business. i'll be his first customer if he's cheap.
I've been trying to get him to do this for months.
SLIP STREAM SVT,Sep 8 2005, 09:14 AM Wrote:awww that sux. maybe he can start his own detailling business. i'll be his first customer if he's cheap.
[right][snapback]140096[/snapback][/right]

Not only am I cheap..but I'm easy too!!!

ANTHONYD,Sep 8 2005, 09:17 AM Wrote:I've been trying to get him to do this for months.
[right][snapback]140098[/snapback][/right]

I know, I know....I'm working on a side project but, its hard to get people motivated with winter around the corner.!
I can still get the products that we made at the old shop..but I gotta buy it in bulk containers and then put it into sellable bottles/containers. I also legally will have to put labels on everything...etc...

Give me some time and i'll definately see about the 3 products I've shown to you, Anthony,,the 380, wheels, and of course...the super blue
microbunny,Sep 8 2005, 09:27 AM Wrote:I can still get the products that we made at the old shop..but I gotta buy it in bulk containers and then put it into sellable bottles/containers. I also legally will have to put labels on everything...etc...

Give me some time and i'll definately see about the 3 products I've shown to you, Anthony,,the 380, wheels, and of course...the super blue
[right][snapback]140108[/snapback][/right]

Sold and sold!
ANTHONYD,Sep 8 2005, 10:35 AM Wrote:
microbunny,Sep 8 2005, 09:27 AM Wrote:I can still get the products that we made at the old shop..but I gotta buy it in bulk containers and then put it into sellable bottles/containers. I also legally will have to put labels on everything...etc...

[right][snapback]140108[/snapback][/right]

Sold and sold!
[right][snapback]140116[/snapback][/right]

I need to see the tire shine dude, The TIRE SHINE :lol:
My Mom Says I'm Special
I've used the Michelin three stepper before, I still have alot left actually. But I still feel that sticking with the good ol' Meguiars wheels cleaners is good enough, for the value, a three pack with free micro fiber (who can have enough of these) cloth was a good deal!
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded