Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Push Button Start?
hey guys,
i want to know if theres any way you can make a push button start without having to put the key in the igniton and turning it.

i know the key has a chip in it that the car comunicates with, is there any way you can just tap the swith to the wires going to the starter, and just make sure my key is close?
id say no because your steering wheel will still be locked, unless you find a way to keep the steering wheel from locking. plus why would you wanna do that? you want someone to steal your car?
FSWERKS Race Exhaust, H&R Race Springs, HID all around
i think he's trying to make it like the new mazda's where the key only needs to be on you...not in the ignition...but if the key isn't around the car...it won't start...and i don't think that'll be all that possible to do :S
They've done push-button starts in the Focus before - it's pretty much called the "S2000" conversion. However, whether you go with OEM Honda or eBay knockoff parts, the key still needs to be in the ON position.

If you're going to try getting around the PATS system, you're going to have to re-program the ECU at that point. I'd say that's more work than it would be worth in the end.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
ECU re program is a must you actually might need a full stand alone system. I know of a few drag cars that don't have ignitions just a kill switch and a start button so it is possible but at what cost Prob alot more than you want to spend.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
Or you could just use your key, I do and it works great, no problems.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
To get around PATS you could tape the chip from your key inside the steering column next to the PAT sensor. You can also get around the locking steering column by filing down the locking pin.

The crux of the problem is that the true keyless start system in many of the newer cars is directly integrated into the ECU of the vehicle and the "key" of those vehicles has a RFID chip that automatically puts the car into "RUN" mode when that key is within range. The start button is then enabled and the system then basically operates the same way a remote starter system does. Pushing the start button sends the command to the ECU that runs the whole startup sequence just like your computer when it boots up.

To make a "push to start" button is fairly simple but unfortunately in the Focus the ECU isn't capable of a true keyless push-to-start system; you would still have to turn the key to "Run" (unless you want to have your car in "run" all the time lol) and turn the key to "Off" to shut the engine down. So all you really have then is a fancy button to crank your starter.

And in the end, you have to decide for yourself whether this is all worth the effort. Since you already have to turn the key to "Run", what's another 5mm turn to "Start"?
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
ya, imo its a pointless mod if i have to put the key in and turn it...sounds like a lot more trouble than its worth. thanks for the replies...oh and i was trying to make it like the bmw's not the mazdas lol :P

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Start Button - Now With Pics 24/5/08 Spinal 50 13,448 05-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Last Post: NefCanuck
  Push Start girard.k 1 1,113 09-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Last Post: konafocuswrc