Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Could Learn One Language...
Seeing as everyone is at Anthony's BBQ <_< ...and im sitting in Sask-a-ma-toon, at work, bored to tears on a staurday...

heres a question...

im planning on taking a language corse this summer, so if YOU had to pick one laguage to study, what would it be?

im looking at...

Japanese
Spanish
French...i know a bit already
Porteguese
Mandarin

any other suggestions?

I figure i would like to know spanish beacuse several places i plan to travel to in the future, speak spanish

Manadrin i wouldnt mind, seeing as i picked some up on my 5 month stay in China...

but i love the way Japanese sounds when you speak it...

opinions?
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
Spanish or Italian would be the languages I would want to learn. They are very similiar, so go for Spanish. A lot of places speak Spanish too...

French. I absolutely hated it in high school. So I would rather not see you do that one.
yeah french i didnt dig, plus lots of people know french in Canada! haha

im really leaning toward Spanish, but a part of me wants Japanese...
Jap :D den goto japan and teach engrish
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Phantom,Jun 25 2005, 10:30 PM Wrote:Jap :D den goto japan and teach engrish
[right][snapback]117389[/snapback][/right]

that what im talking about...

i did that last summer in China, but it was a sports camp...not english
Well, I already know limited french thanks to classes I never showed up in, Some Italian & Spanish thanks to spending much time with my family and relatives. The language I really would like to learn some day, would be Arabic. It would be kinda cool, but hard as hell to learn.
My other ride is your Mom
Phil, do you still have contacts for the sports camp?

I speak english, french, italian.... None of which I would say go learn.

Cantonese is hard, man, I dont have the patience for it... But Jap is easily learnable... Just alot of memorization.

Spanish and French are really similar, once you know one you can easily learn the other.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
Engrish is by far the hardest language to learn apparently. So consider yourself lucky you don't have to learn it again :D

I'm still saying Jap.. going to Japan would be lotsa fun and I wanna do that.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
For me it would be Japanese, much use I would get out of it with my other hobby being watching anime :D

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 25 2005, 08:07 PM Wrote:For me it would be Japanese, much use I would get out of it with my other hobby being watching anime  :D
[right][snapback]117417[/snapback][/right]
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Chinese (either Cantonese or Mandarin). Why? So I could tell all those chinese people that talk really loud to stfu in their own language... and make wicked sales by selling to them in their own language
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
have to say Italian or German, just because I'd like to go to Germany or Italy someday.
'03 Focus SVT
Raine,Jun 25 2005, 08:14 PM Wrote:Chinese (either Cantonese or Mandarin). Why? So I could tell all those chinese people that talk really loud to stfu in their own language... and make wicked sales by selling to them in their own language
[right][snapback]117425[/snapback][/right]

are you sure about that? or are you not telling us that you want to learn chineese because you want find out what theyre saying about you behind your back lol.
My other ride is your Mom
paolo,Jun 25 2005, 08:18 PM Wrote:
Raine,Jun 25 2005, 08:14 PM Wrote:Chinese (either Cantonese or Mandarin). Why? So I could tell all those chinese people that talk really loud to stfu in their own language... and make wicked sales by selling to them in their own language
[right][snapback]117425[/snapback][/right]

are you sure about that? or are you not telling us that you want to learn chineese because you want find out what theyre saying about you behind your back lol.
[right][snapback]117443[/snapback][/right]

Laugh all you want, but I will never forget the time I went to pacific mall and the old woman walking by yelled something at me and my other white friend, that cause the chinese girl with us to start laughing. When we asked what was so funny, she said "That old woman just yelled 'fuking immigrants! get out of our mall!' at you two".

Not cool.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
french is alot like spanish, i know this as i took a spanish class, and am french also, so if you take either of the two, take spanish
Mandarin is the second larges language in the world. Business wise, it would make most sense to learn Mandarin. Most dificult would be Japanese, but it would be a hell of a sweet one to learn.
"No, my sons name is also Bort!"
German, but i wish i knew english a little better even though thats the language i speak. Apparentely German is very photeticable or something that means how it looks is how is sounds, and is very consistent i hear.

Guten-tag
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
remember if you learn spanish....man...you'll have the best vacations in your life ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p/s...ask me why...!!!
00 DAKOTA R/T.......I just didnt like the torque of the Focus thats all...!!!
redsvtfocus,Jun 26 2005, 10:39 AM Wrote:remember if you learn spanish....man...you'll have the best vacations in your life ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p/s...ask me why...!!!
[right][snapback]117552[/snapback][/right]
why?
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
Italian, French and Spanish all have their roots in Latin so they're very similar.

I just finished a German class and I really enjoyed it. Since English has its root as a Germanic langauge, a lot of words are really close to what you'd expect them to be. Also you have the advantage of not having to learn a whole new character set (like you would with Japanese/Chinese/etc).

It really depends on what you want to do with it, if you're planning on going somewhere.. I just took the German class because it gave me te elective credits I needed for my University degree, and the prof was amazingly good. But it also depends on what you're interested in learning, that makes the biggest difference on whether you'll succeed or not.