Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo Or Supercharger
i've got a 00 zx3 with low low kms ont it had it for 2 1/2 years now some mods but nothing much. just makin the cash now to sink some searous cash in to it. need a bit help on my choice i heard ztechs bottom end wont handle the turbo
I'm pretty sure theres guys running around with +200Whp with bottom end and no problems, but if your making the serius cash your making then invest in it, that way you can maybe up the boost a little in the future. The key to turbo/surpercharger 'in a Zetec is the tuning IMHO.

I'm currently running 10PSI on stock motor with 94 Octane. My car is also a 00 zx3. I boosted the car right aroud 95 000km. :huh:

Turbo'in these cars is the only way to go. ;) :D

:hi: , btw
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I don't know much about the turboed focuses, but there are a few members on here that have built there own turbo kits, that I believe are going strong. I should be installing a 10 psi Procharger supercharger within the next couple of weeks, without any internal changes. I believe the Zetecs are actually quite stout motors, that can handle a good dose of mild abuse.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
skifreak69,Jun 11 2005, 07:53 PM Wrote:I believe the Zetecs are actually quite stout motors, that can handle a good dose of mild abuse.
[right][snapback]113813[/snapback][/right]

I can definitely vouch for that.
:icon_mrgreen:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jun 11 2005, 04:54 PM Wrote:
skifreak69,Jun 11 2005, 07:53 PM Wrote:I believe the Zetecs are actually quite stout motors, that can handle a good dose of mild abuse.
[right][snapback]113813[/snapback][/right]

I can definitely vouch for that.
:icon_mrgreen:
[right][snapback]113814[/snapback][/right]
I'm eagerly waiting to test it out myself :D
supercharger :)

edit: I believe turbo tom was able to get some serious power out of the focus wihtout any internal upgrades. PowerWorks is 200+ whp and doesn't require upgrade of the internals.

I think anything in the 200-250 range is easily achieved with no internal modifications.
TURBO i've heard to many stories about superchargers blowing up. there are many advantages to both though. so just research and go turbo all the way. make sure u up grade your exshaust at least to 2.5" and high flow cat 400 chamber or less. more air in more air out, also look at getting injectors not nessary thou. im sure what kind of litres per minute the regular pump pumps but if you burn it out go with svt. more air more fuel more power , less japanese in front oh neon too.
sonic blue svt on windsheild blue neon Brullen cat back 2.5" spec stage 3 plus clutch aluminum flywheel steeda sts 157 whp
I think theres equal amount of turbos gone bad vs superchargers gone bad. Its a discussion raised time and time again and really nothing sticks to either because there are exceptions to cases.

Bottom line, evaluate the products at hand for the focus. Look at things like maintenance, support and power output. Take a look at some of the dyno charts for those products it will give you a good idea on how you drive and how this thing will impact your driving vs. what you want.

To make any real power on the zetec your going to have to upgrade your maf and your injectors. Anything 200+whp your going to want at least 42# injectors and a larger maf (like a mustang GT maf). Most serious kits are going to upgrade these as part of the kit.

I think the hardest decision is deciding which way you want to go, after that its just making sure you research your choice fully. Unless you can afford to go trial and error, and possibly blow up a few engines in the process :P There are definately a good amount of reputable company options available for either super or turbocharged kits. As well as building your own turbo kit if you have the time and drive to do it right.
Tom has built 300hp focus with stock internals. The Fast Trax turbo is doing 318hp on stock internals with Motec tuning.

I say Focus Sport super charger or DIY turbo.