Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goddamn Speakers
Okay so I got my Alpine speakers in, fire it up, sounds good. One day later, all of the new speakers don't put out anything, all you hear is the subs pounding. The problem remedies itself when I take the speaker out of the door and hold it out of metallic contact.

So I went and tried to eliminate the possible source of the problem. At first, I thought it was a small capacitor on the sub that was grounding to the door. Nope, that wasn't causing the problem.

Second, I checked the connection to the speaker, re-crimped, and done. Still gives the same problem.

Thought it was a wire being hit by one of the screws. Tried that too, but to no avail.

My thoughts are that the speaker has a minor manufacturing defect where the connection somewhere on the speaker is not electrically insulated on its mounting apparatus.

So my final try, before sending this thing back to the retailer, is to actually insulate the speaker from the door, by using electrically insulating materials.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? How did you remedy it other than going back to stock or going back to the retailer?

I'd bring this thing back to the retailers but Bianco's is in Sudbury, 1.5hr drive, and Stereoplus here in North Bay don't know squat about car audio in my opinion.

Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
Could it be a prob with the deck and not the speaker?
That exact thing happened to me a couple times and the only thing that ever worked was tapping on the deck. There may be a loose connection back there or it may even be an internal problem with it
I would love to say it is the deck but the problem with that is that when he holds the speaker in hand it works fine. hence you are on the right track. Now inside the speaker if can see depending on the basket there are usually the 2 wires inside going to the voice coil now as these move they may be catching a contac point. When manufactured they may have been made to long. Now if you remove only 1 speaker do the other work and you will have to do this with all the speakers, try each one then see if it then works seeing if 1 or all the speakers are bad. the idea is to eliminate as many things as possible if its 2 speakers that do the same thing. To be continued......

David

edit 1 more thing when in hand not touching the door is the door opened or closed and does the door being opened or closed make a differencce when mounted (ie wire pinched.
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
Thanks for the help guys. We actually pinpointed the problem to the speaker itself. It does have a contact point somewhere in the speaker wiring to the basket. NOS and I spoke about it and we thought of just eliminating all metal to metal contact between the speaker and the door.

I worked on it with one of the other guys from my office and we solved the problem by chopping up a Bic pen and using some black tape. The bic pen was perfect to make a plastic sleeve between the speaker and the screws, while the black tape held it in place.

All I hope is it holds. If it doesn't, I'll take more drastic measures such as ripping the ****ing door off and drive around Trailer Park Boys style. :lol:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin