Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Is Interested In A Navigational Rally
I came across this on Kijiji. It looks as if this maybe a lot of fun. I have never participated in a Road Rally other than the Niagara Cruise Rally a few years ago. Check out the link and post up your feelings. It is being held on a Monday and Registration opens at 6:30 PM and the first vehicle starts at 8:01 PM. This could be a lot of fun for resonably cheap, $25.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
That sounds cool, yup I would do that. I will need a co-driver with a GPS!
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Thats sweet.
Kev let me know if your going and we can team up with some Talkies. Maybe more of us will be interested.
Cops will be all over this for sure but it sounds like a lot of fun.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

Yeah it does look sweet. But there are penalties for being to fast or to slow. So speeding is strictly monitored. If we get a bunch of cars together we could probably have a really good time. I would have to PVR 24 but it looks like a real good time.

Dam you and your 24 lol.
It's like a mini BullRun.
I'm so gonna try to get ppl into this.
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified

I have e-mailed the Maple Leaf Rally Club for more details and will post up what I get in response. It looks as if they organize these on a monthly basis and even an overnighter that is 380KM long. I wonder if the wife wants to be my co-pilot for the May date? Hmmmmm.....

Lol good luck. I'm gonna have to ask Jen too, but my Black berry should be helpful lol.
Also the reason y me and you can't hook up with the messenger is because your not set up with that on your phone plan. See how much it would be to add that in with data plan. You really only need at max 10 MB a month. Thats how much I use with Internet, email, Gps, Google Maps/gps and the many messengers that it has. But I have the 6GB plan and I don't even use 1% of it.

I wish people that vote in the poll post who they are so I would know who is interested.

Here is the e-mail I recieved from the Rally organizer.

Quote:Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your interest in the Mini Rally events. Beginner-friendly May Mini Rally is a great introduction to the sport of navigational / road rallying. The Mini Rallys are designed for the total beginners and absolutely no previous experienced is required.

The objective of a road rally is to drive precisely based on the instructions provided. This includes route information, distances and turn directions, and average speed information. Each team is composed of one driver and one navigator and teams start the rally one minute apart. Checkpoints are located along the route but their locations are not known to the competitors. Early and late arrivals at these checkpoints result in penalty points for the teams and the team with the fewest points wins.

The objective is not outright speed and all rules of the road are followed. This is a totally legal event and anyone with a roadworthy, registered and insured vehicle and a valid driver’s licence can participate. No special car preparation is required and driver’s licenses are not required for navigators.

Here is a step-by-step listing of how a road rally occurs:
• At registration, a Car Number is assigned to all teams.
• Team start the event in order by car number and one minute apart.
• Each team receives the rally instructions a minute or two before their start time. This includes maps, special instructions and basic educational information.
• The team must then follow the instructions to drive the exact route of the rally.
• They must also maintain the required average speeds throughout the rally.
• Checkpoints are located along the route at unknown locations where each team must stop to receive a timing sticker. Early and late arrivals at these checkpoints result in penalties.
• The team with the fewest penalties at the end of the rally wins the event.
• Total distance travelled in a Mini Rally is about 100 km. typically, completing a Mini Rally requires just over 2 hours.
• The Start and Finish locations are the same so everyone returns to the same place to hang out and await the results.
• Prizes are provided to the Top-3 teams in 2 classes. Door prizes are also handed out by random drawings.

The rally route is carefully selected to provide an interesting driving experience to the teams. Roads are both paved and unpaved and almost all the twisty roads in the area are included. Even the unpaved roads are relatively smooth and, most of the time, even lowered cars manage just fine. Also, since there is no bumper to bumper driving, stone chips are not a common occurrence.

What you have seen on TV are performance rallys. The objective in those is to drive as fast as possible on stages (closed public roads) and the team with the shortest overall time wins. The May Mini Rally is not that.

You should totally come out to the May Mini Rally. If you can arrive early, I can get an experienced rallyist to sit down with you and provide a quick overview. On their first few events, most new teams just focus (no pun intended) on driving the route and not worry too much about the timing.

This year, Mini Rally’s will take place on May 11, June 8, July 13 and August 10 (all Mondays). I hope you and your club can make it to one soon.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. I can be reached after 5:00 PM at 416-917-8757.

Ken.

It really sounds like a well organized event and look to be a lot of fun. Lets get a group together and have a go at it.

Anybody else interested in this? I know it is about a month away but the more people we can get involved the more fun we can have.

Focus man, Focus.,Apr 8 2009, 10:06 AM Wrote:Anybody else interested in this?&nbsp; I know it is about a month away but the more people we can get involved the more fun we can have.
[right][snapback]284563[/snapback][/right]

I've done a number of these and they can be a lot of fun ... but I have the kids Mondays and these rallys sound like they'd end way past their bedtime - so no joy for me.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Maybe if I could get the next day off from work, otherwise the event ends rather late and the drive back...

NefCanuck
I told my buddy about this and he seems pretty interested mayeb ill play co piolot
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]
Back to the top. Lets get some people involved. I believe I am going to be riding with John(Scorcher000) as the wife will be looking after the littlest one.

Hey Kev, I just run threw the calender and the rally is going to be on the same night as the meet in may. We'd have to change the meet or say see ya to the rally??????

I just got an e-mail from the rally organizer and currently only about 20 cars pre-registered and they aren't expecting many more. So the odds of placing in the event seen pretty good. Is there any more interest here? If so post it up, and maybe we can run out to the event as a group. The date of the event falls on a Masiv Monday night so maybe we can have a Masiv Rally night instead, rather than standing around in a parking lot.

Let me know what you guys think.

Yeah so we didn't go to this Rally. I just had an e-mail from the organizer informing me of the next event on June 8th. I will post up info in a new thread. It is also being held on a Masiv Monday Night.