Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amp Wiring
Anyone ever heard a difference in wiring kits.. or rca's for that matter.. Just looking for a new wiring kit to put in the focus.. and around 120$ for 4guage power and some 50$ 20ft rca's.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Where's Focis8nt when you need him :)

I'll let him pipe up and give you a hand here. I've been out of the scene for some time, but that sounds messed.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Check out princess auto(http://www.princessauto.com), you can get a nice 4 gauge kit, with inline fuse holder, and some decent sheilded RCA's for $39.

For the price you can't beat it.....
Definitely check out what Princess Auto has for wiring kits, I got some there one time and it was a whole lot cheaper than any other place. No fancy RCAs, but they had a few different kits and I got the cheaper one.
Princess Auto is awsome for cheap stuff...Sometime this summer im planing of redoing all my wiring and im checking for rca that are gold connecters, I heard that there better and tought longer...it's beed two set of rca in my car for the past 3 years. lol....And im maybe thinking of going to 0 gauge but...I think more for the 4. Don't know yet!
Turbo arrived!
focusonthis_88,Apr 21 2005, 10:44 PM Wrote:And im maybe thinking of going to 0 gauge but...I think more for the 4. Don't know yet!
[right][snapback]103575[/snapback][/right]

Isnt 0 gauge kind of really overkill for most car audio? Like unless you're running a HUGE setup. Also consider how hard it would be to run such a fat wire through your car..
If you want overkill just go around to some ontario hydro sites, they usually have some huge underground power line lying around. :lol: :lol:
Ya if you're running a super sensitive stereo setup worth tons of money then I would go for magnetically sshielded RCA's but to me power wire is power wire but as long as it has lots of strands in it it will be fine!
guilty,Apr 21 2005, 11:52 PM Wrote:Isnt 0 gauge kind of really overkill for most car audio?  Like unless you're running a HUGE setup.  Also consider how hard it would be to run such a fat wire through your car..
[right][snapback]103578[/snapback][/right]

Well, this summer im going to upgrade my systeme with a 10" H2 Orion and a 2500D Amp Orion. I going to put 2 drycell battery in the car. So, I need 0 gauge to get all the power I need.
Turbo arrived!
focusonthis_88,Apr 22 2005, 10:32 AM Wrote:
guilty,Apr 21 2005, 11:52 PM Wrote:Isnt 0 gauge kind of really overkill for most car audio?  Like unless you're running a HUGE setup.  Also consider how hard it would be to run such a fat wire through your car..

Well, this summer im going to upgrade my systeme with a 10" H2 Orion and a 2500D Amp Orion. I going to put 2 drycell battery in the car. So, I need 0 gauge to get all the power I need.
[right][snapback]103674[/snapback][/right]

what are you putting on highs to back up all that bass... unbalanced systems = :puke:
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
scoobasteve,Apr 22 2005, 10:57 AM Wrote:
focusonthis_88,Apr 22 2005, 10:32 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]103674[/snapback][/right]

what are you putting on highs to back up all that bass... unbalanced systems = :puke:
[right][snapback]103684[/snapback][/right]

All my speakers in my car are Orion and they are all amplified with a 4 ch orion amp.
Turbo arrived!
If you want to run 0 gauge in your car look at lightning audio they have flat 0 gauge. It is really easy to run inside of the car cause it will lay flat onder to carpet.
here is link to check it out.

http://www.lightningaudio.com/2004/product....asp?prodID=838
0 gauge never is easy to install and unless you have a carpet strecher the carpet is not easy to get back in place it not to bad in the focus but not the easiest. I just ran the zero gauge in my car and it wasnt as easy as running the RCA's down the other side.

And be careful you need to if getting 0 gauge ensure it is oxgen free, and designed for car audio, if not it will go green and corrode all the way along the inners of the wire (especially the ground), Streetwires stinger and phoenix gold are all good. As for RCA's dont cheap out remember, if you dont want a winny system dont buy cheap RCA cable. Phoenix Gold are for the intro level $25, and good, you do not likely need the top series which are $100 set or more
Just some thoughts

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
A little INFO

0 Gauge is only required for a system with a total RMS Wattage of 1400W or greater.. Thats RMS Continuous Minimum, not total max output. Even still, 0-Gauge is necessary only after a distance of 20 feet, as well as 1400W RMS power or greater. 0 Gauge Cable has an approximate diameter of 0.325 inches

2 Gauge is recommended for systems of 1000W RMS or greater and a cable length of 12+ feet. This gauge is suitable for systems up to 1400W RMS at a cable length of up to 20 feet. 2 Gauge Cable has an approximate diameter of 0.26 inches

4 Gauge is recommended for systems with 400-1000W RMS and cable lengths between 8-20 feet. 4 Gauge Cable has an approximate diameter of 0.20 inches

6, 8, & 10-Gauge Cable can be used for systems with 400W RMS or Less.
Get ahold of 1/0 suage welding cable. Copper conducts electricity no matter how little you paid for it, and welding cable is cheap (free if you know someone :P ) If you unbolt the driver's seat as well as the rear driver side seat bottom, you can lift the carpt on that side out of the way, then, using gromets in each opening, pass the wire through access holes in the mounts for the driver seat. the wire fits easily and allows a straight run to the back of the car.

That said, wire corrosion isn't a very big concern in a vehicle, as the car itself would likely rust apart before the copper. Welding cable has a thick sleeve over it, and after clamping the end connections on, heatshrinking the open areas at each end of the wire will ensure it's completely watertight.

If you're concerned with the aesthetics of the wiring, PET sleeving is also fairly inexpensive and adds a nice finishing touch to the cable, and is also easy to find either online or locally if you live anywhere with a big box home center.

As for RCA cables, it all depends on your situation. Shielded wire is a good idea in a vehicle to keep out noise but cheap wire isn't the cause of the wine you can sometimes hear that follows engine RPM. Usually a ground problem like excessively long runs to a ground point, or simply a bad ground point, cause the amplifier to ground through the RCA cables to the head unit's ground. A quick run over your wiring will usually solve it. If you'd prefer, making your own RCA's is fairly easy to do, with pretty good results.
Luke.

2002 Malibu Blue ZX5 "Malibloo" RIP 2006 Sad
2003 Liquid Grey ZX3 "Tarmac" Eurofried Rice

Tarmac.
id make sure you run 2ga no matter what. thats about the best for a setup espically if you know your going to upgrade down the road. dont make things difficult and buy 8ga, then 4ga, then 2ga. haha i did that. doh!
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)
wat's the best way to lift the carpet on the passenger side for the rca's. The carpet itself is attached to this plastic which is clipped into the frame this clips are one piece and doesn't seem can be replaced. so how do I remove it without breaking them
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
Use a clip puller... its easy.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Phantom,Apr 25 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:wat's the best way to lift the carpet on the passenger side for the rca's. The carpet itself is attached to this plastic which is clipped into the frame this clips are one piece and doesn't seem can be replaced. so how do I remove it without breaking them
[right][snapback]104417[/snapback][/right]

They unclip pretty easy, just use a flat head screw driver. Always be careful with plastics but once they are up just run the wire along.

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
I gave up on the carpet pulling.. I'm going to pay 50$ to get it done(first time ever having to pay) But I did get my deck installed and damn does that make one hell of a difference.
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP