Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would You Do?
Ported box, built to the ED blueprints...

[Image: picture.JPG]

Ported box, deleting the spare and involves glassing the spare tire well...

Sealed box, glassing the entire back wall, and possibly adding glass to the walls as well...

Pretty much laid out in ease of install. #2 is my current choice but a variation of #3 using a larger ported enclosure is being cooked up.

I already have the sub, an Elemental Designs 16Kv.2, in the car in a 2.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure running off an Alpine T757. Pretty happy with it so far but I need to get rid of this wedge shaped box and replace it with something more suited to the car and sub.
Luke.

2002 Malibu Blue ZX5 "Malibloo" RIP 2006 Sad
2003 Liquid Grey ZX3 "Tarmac" Eurofried Rice

Tarmac.
yup, number 3 looks the best in my mind
#3 looks good.
2003 CD Silver SVT Focus
#21 of 2173
I agree #3.
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I haven't lost countless hours of sleep on the same question. I say #3 because it looks amazing and you still have room to put stuff in your trunk and still have access to your spare tire.
QUOTE: I already have the sub, an Elemental Designs 16Kv.2, in the car in a 2.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure.

Since you have it sealed and want more sound you gotta go ported. A 3-4ft cu ported box is gonna take up your entire hatch. I'd go with #2 saying that. Im not one who cares for a spare tire. Most people call tow trucks, i never see people changing their damn tires. Since you mention removing the spare, i'd go with #2 forsure. That spare depth isnt to deep so you'll have to build a false floor and raise the mounting depth. if you do go this way, have your floor a lil higher then the actual sub, so if you do need to haul something at one given point in time, you know you can lay a board over top of it without damage. maybe even plexiglass top.

if your setup is good now... why change? is it cuz you box isnt spec?
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)
3 but definitely chuch the plywood out.... go with MDF.... I used to compete hardcore in stereo comps in the past.... MDF or plexi is the only way to go plus I got some 'neat' sealing things you can do to the boxes........
#3 looks the nicest, and if it lets you keep your spare tire then that's a huge plus (I still dont understand the mentality of removing the spare tire of your daily driver).

It really depends on how much you value storage space and versatility of your cargo area. Looks like #3 would give you the most space in the hatch, but would eliminate the fold-down feature of the backseats?
# 3 looks the best... hey honkytonk... do you have the specs for your amp rack, i want to do the exact same thing in my trunk. how did you mount them to the floor, so they dont tip over?
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
Definitely number #3.. I (like most people) am using number #1.. I have lost 90% of my trunk with a vented S12L5 solobaric enclosure 3 cu. ft. :( That is why I have a 5-door! :D
[Image: svtfocusavatar1.jpg]

99 Mustang V6 Coupe Perf.Red w/MachAudio+TC
00 Mustang GT Coupe Perf.Red /MachAudio+Leather+TC
* 03 SVT 5dr Infra-Red Focus w/ Audio+Sunroof+WinterPkg
06 Mustang GT 'Vert w/ Shaker1K+IUP+ICA (~04/06)

* = (Current Ride)
#2 with a solid grill over the sub and port will still give u quite a bit of hatch space. as for the spare thats what CAA is for.
Turbo Kit For sale. Bills SUCK.
GlennH,Mar 25 2005, 02:19 PM Wrote:QUOTE: I already have the sub, an Elemental Designs 16Kv.2, in the car in a 2.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure.

Since you have it sealed and want more sound you gotta go ported. A 3-4ft cu ported box is gonna take up your entire hatch. I'd go with #2 saying that. Im not one who cares for a spare tire. Most people call tow trucks, i never see people changing their damn tires. Since you mention removing the spare, i'd go with #2 forsure. That spare depth isnt to deep so you'll have to build a false floor and raise the mounting depth. if you do go this way, have your floor a lil higher then the actual sub, so if you do need to haul something at one given point in time, you know you can lay a board over top of it without damage. maybe even plexiglass top.

if your setup is good now... why change? is it cuz you box isnt spec?
[right][snapback]96462[/snapback][/right]

The ED 16Kv.2 was actually designed with small box requirements in mind. I'm using a large sealed box right now as it came from my old setup which used a Lambda Acoustics PB15, which is in essence the perfect SQ subwoofer. I decided it was too good for a car and it has been moved to HT use.

The ED sub only needs a hair over 2 cubic feet vented, so regardless, the box will not occupy very much room in the trunk. Image #2 would include two storage spaces on either side of the box to put my rollerblades and emergency kit (no spare means a can of fix a flat as unless astro, or one of my buddies is towing me, I do not trust towtruck drivers)

As for box materials, I always overspend and go with marine grade plywood. Basically voidless plywood. It's stiffer, requiring less bracing, and weighs about 3/4 of what 3/4" MDF does. I had alot of the stuff leftover after my last attempt at building a coffee table/subwoofer for the PB15 so next time my boxmaterials are already bought and paid for.

As you said, my first reason for change is that my box is much bigger than it needs to be, while it does increase output at low frequencies, it's not worth the added space required. That and the current box is a heavy mofo and I hate my ass end sagging. The replacement box would take up much less space. Also, if I do #2 or #3, It will look good and gives me an excuse to play with fiberglass again :)

I've been trying to build an amazing SQ system using as little money as I can on components, my sub I bought through ED's preorder, so it was extremely cheap at $85 US and has huge displacement for it's price. Bang for buck easily trounces what an Adire shiva or Tempest could achieve. Basicaly my system has taken 5 years to assemble, replacing parts as better pieces come around.

I've decided when it warms up, I'll be going with #3, but ported out the bottom of the enclosure with the sub tipped to a 45 degree angle... might kinda look like a urinal in my hatch when I'm done, we'll see :P

EDIT: BTW, I already like this forum, maybe when I start building my kickpanels when it warms up we can have a little work G2G and build multiples.
Luke.

Tarmac.
ive always said forget about the spare tire. what fool changes his tire on the side of the road these days? here in winnipeg you never see that. people have lease's with roadside or CAA. If not, they know someone with a shop that can give it a tow. I'd never waste my time with a spare tire ever. I'd consider it if i had to do highway driving say... from province to province but thats all.

Stereo moral: GO BIG, THEN GO BIGGER!!! hehe
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)

I've decided on my final design. I eventually decided against the floor option as I do carry standard items in the trunk. this is going to work well since they fit in the spare tire area (I would not change the tire either, I have roadside assistance)

I've been discussing port length with a few people and came up with a pretty good solution. It will be built so that it can be laid down if needed.

Should be interesting in any case :)
Luke.

Tarmac.
Nice design and awesome rendering.. it's nice to be able to get a good idea of what the final product will look like without having to build it first ;)
Dam SWEET # 3. honkytonk!!

Post #15 for sure!!

"Could you buld it to be removeable ?"
"Focus On The Road!"
I Love My Liquid Grey 2007 Focus ZX3 SE

Next: tint, front & rear bumpers...
#3 looks awsome!
Turbo arrived!