Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Power Wire
where has everyone put thier power wire and rca's etc, where did you go through the firewall if you did, i was considering running the power under the car. Any thoughts?? any pics?
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
I've got the Power wire running under the carpet alnog the drivers side door sill, and the rca's and the rest along the other side. Throught the firewall wall there was a hole under the fuse box in the engine compartment, but I don't know about the '05's, mines a 2000. As for running the wire underneath the car, I think thats not a great idea, as it will be exposed to far too many chances of damage and/or other problems (heat, rocks, sharp objects)
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
I ran my wires the exact same way. You definately don't want to run the RCA's and the power wire down the same side cuz if you do you'll end up with some bad signal interference on the RCA's cuz of the power wire. Just a heads up.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

yo..

I just actually finished the full install on my 2005 ZX5....took me 2 days, (took my time) and here is what I say,,

Run the 4 gauge power wire under the trim on the left side of your car....battery..to fuse block...through the firewall..under all the left side trim...and route under your rear seat....

run speaker wires and 3 sets of rcas on the right side,,,from the back of the deck...behind the glove box...behing kickpanel...under all the trim...routed under rear seat and into trunk...

..if you want detailed explaination on removing everything just let me know...everything is ultra fresh in my head....

whatever you do..dont run the power wire underneath,,,,go through the firewall,,,there is a little plastic cover piece above the brake & clutch behind some carpet...drill through that...and run into engine bay from there....

also make sure your power wire is on one side...and everything else is on the other side... like mentioned above^^
Has anybody gone behind the fuse box? Supposedly theres a hole behind there.

How do you take off the fuse box?
01-yellow-ZX3,Mar 19 2005 Wrote:Has anybody gone behind the fuse box?  Supposedly theres a hole behind there.

How do you take off the fuse box?
[right][snapback]94876[/snapback][/right]

I found 4 different spots on the 2005 that you can use to pass cable through...

behind the fusebox eh?? hmmm, I wonder how hard that is to get at//??
Somebody told me you unbolt the fuse box, and just use the holes back there, and just silicone it up when you're done. Sounds pretty easy to me.
01-yellow-ZX3,Mar 19 2005 Wrote:Somebody told me you unbolt the fuse box, and just use the holes back there, and just silicone it up when you're done.  Sounds pretty easy to me.
[right][snapback]94880[/snapback][/right]

Hellz yeh..

I just punched a 3/8 hole into this plastic piece,,,ran the cable and then used rubber 3M grommet
Behind my fuse box there was a hole. didn't need to unbolt the ox, just fished it with a hanger... used a rubber pass-thru and never had a leak. Easy as s**t after a bran muffin
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
anyone try running the rca's right down the cetre of the car? you know, under the center colum, then under the seat and into the trunk (sedan), but i guess hatch's are the same
Running down the centre would work except when they run under the carpet between the centre console and the back seat you would see a little bit of a bulge. IMO running the RCA's down the other side of the car is a much cleaner install. Prolly a lot easier too.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

smith21,Mar 20 2005, 12:24 AM Wrote:anyone try running the rca's right down the cetre of the car? you know, under the center colum, then under the seat and into the trunk (sedan), but i guess hatch's are the same
[right][snapback]94931[/snapback][/right]

mAN, I admire your determination but, don't do more work then you have to...there is no reason to spend the time and effort to run down the center of your car.....do like I said...powerwire on the left....speakerwire./rcs on right...

It's the easiest way and clean install...if you need help, let me know man!
smith21,Mar 19 2005, 10:24 PM Wrote:anyone try running the rca's right down the cetre of the car? you know, under the center colum, then under the seat and into the trunk (sedan), but i guess hatch's are the same
I ran my first set of rca's down the center of my hatch, it was a real pain to get it under the carpet through the contours of the floor and carpeting. It is so much easier to just run it down the side, like previously mentioned.
I bought a red car, because everyone knows red is the fastest.
i did my 2ga behind the fuse box. it is actually just held on by some plastic clips. it pops forward a bit. works great evan!
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)
thanks for the input guys! I usually follow the right rca and power left rule. That being I already ran the rca's down the right side of the car i guess my only question was where to put the power cable through the firewall, i spent a while looking for the "hole thats already there". I guess there isn't one on the '05. No big deal guess i'll have to pop my own hole and get it done! I just hate to drill holes in a brand new car, but i have no choice.

As for the power run under car idea that went out the window. Its amazing how much sh!t people gave me for thinking that, I was going to use grey pvc electrical conduit under the car to protect it but i don' t have the extra money and a hoist to do it.

smith21,Mar 20 2005, 12:24 AM Wrote:anyone try running the rca's right down the cetre of the car? you know, under the center colum, then under the seat and into the trunk (sedan), but i guess hatch's are the same

imop
as an after the fact thought, I have had the console out recently for another project i'm looking into, and it would be easier to actually put the rca's right throught the middle of the car rather than run it through the right of the dash, under both doors, and then into the trunk, now i still ran mine down the right because i don't want to waste any space under my console :ph34r:

Crazirich,Mar 23 2005, 12:44 PM Wrote:thanks for the input guys!  I usually follow the right rca and power left rule. That being I already ran the rca's down the right side of the car i guess my only question was where to put the power cable through the firewall, i spent a while looking for the "hole thats already there".  I guess there isn't one on the '05.  No big deal guess i'll have to pop my own hole and get it done! I just hate to drill holes in a brand new car, but i have no choice. 

As for the power run under car idea that went out the window. Its amazing how much sh!t people gave me for thinking that, I was going to use grey pvc electrical conduit under the car to protect it but i don' t have the extra money and a hoist to do it.
[right][snapback]95920[/snapback][/right]

If you got an 05" ...you should have the same spot as i do on my 05>>

Look above the brake pedal for an oval shaped cut into the material...behind it is a plastic cover that leads into the engine bay,,,you can drill into it and run the 4 gauge through there like I did...took 5 minutes

Here is a picture...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/micr...ableRouting.jpg
I think thats the opening for the clutch cable if you don't have a manual its super easy...
hardk0re,Mar 23 2005, 01:03 PM Wrote:I think thats the opening for the clutch cable if you don't have a manual its super easy...
[right][snapback]95929[/snapback][/right]

Indeed that is where the clutch is, it is where the lines to the clutch slave cylinder run through, it is right below the hood cable, I am going to have to drill my car. I think the best spot is right next to the hood cable in that flat area where its not contoured

*edit* --> I just looked, that whole square cut in the carpet is filledand it looks like two lines run through

Crazirich,Mar 23 2005, 05:44 PM Wrote:
hardk0re,Mar 23 2005, 01:03 PM Wrote:I think thats the opening for the clutch cable if you don't have a manual its super easy...
[right][snapback]95929[/snapback][/right]

Indeed that is where the clutch is, it is where the lines to the clutch slave cylinder run through, it is right below the hood cable, I am going to have to drill my car. I think the best spot is right next to the hood cable in that flat area where its not contoured

*edit* --> I just looked, that whole square cut in the carpet is filledand it looks like two lines run through
[right][snapback]96000[/snapback][/right]

Ohh s**t...really???

if you gotta drill anywhere above that cover would work too, its fairly clear on the other side...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hard Wire A Power Invertor paolo 1 1,501 04-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Last Post: audionut405
  Running Power Cable For Amp guilty 6 2,428 10-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Last Post: GlennH
  Passing 2ga Power Wire MAlby7 9 2,748 06-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Last Post: scoobasteve