Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G-tech
Im just wondering if the G-Tech really works?
not sure if the g-tech works, but I am in the process of building my own for my final project, and if it follows the same principles as mine it should work. They are way over priced when compared to the cost of materials though.
2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T GT
2008 Jetta Sedan
2007 Colorado
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI (Totalled) (Monkey in the middle on 400)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart (Totalled)
2000 ZX3 (Darknights 2nd place Focus)
You are purchasing the design, software and convenience.

It also has two accelerometers and calibrated to be pretty close to what you would get on the 1320.. In addition to that it has auto-levelling, a smart shift-light (500rpm->250rp->redline) 4 leds.. and stores your runs, has a back-lit screen, and includes various X vs Y plot graphs.

I don't think they are asking too much for one if you look at that way.

Blackzx3,Mar 19 2005, 03:25 PM Wrote:not sure if the g-tech works, but I am in the process of building my own for my final project, and if it follows the same principles as mine it should work.  They are way over priced when compared to the cost of materials though.
[right][snapback]94784[/snapback][/right]
[Image: svtfocusavatar1.jpg]

99 Mustang V6 Coupe Perf.Red w/MachAudio+TC
00 Mustang GT Coupe Perf.Red /MachAudio+Leather+TC
* 03 SVT 5dr Infra-Red Focus w/ Audio+Sunroof+WinterPkg
06 Mustang GT 'Vert w/ Shaker1K+IUP+ICA (~04/06)

* = (Current Ride)
They work dam good. When I first ran one I hit 16.5 then when I went to the actual track I hit 16.4
Correct me if I'm wrong but the G-tech price is about 350$

Basic costs,
20 MHz 33 pin I/O microcontroller $8.00
high quality dual axis accelerometer $10.00 (no point in using two)
LCD display about 10-15$
plus misc other parts about 30$ (including either serial or flash card interface)
software development for this unit about 4 weeks (for myself)

total cost for me to build a similiar unit, but with more capabilities maybe $68.00
Plus when you start building at the volume they do the cost goes down considerably. Therefore making their cost approximately 40-50$.

In the end since I have the knowledge, and capability to throw one together in 8 weeks working on it now and then, including pcb design and manufacturing, it seems overpriced in my mind.
2008 Jetta Sedan
2007 Colorado
hey ben................make 2 :D
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Once its done we can test it out.. and talk.. thinking of implementing some data logging. ;)
2008 Jetta Sedan
2007 Colorado
I've debated getting one from time to time, just because I'm curious. It's a toy and a bit of a tuner tool for me, but I'm nowhere near as serious about speed as the ZETEC/SVT crowd.

I'm a tech-oriented guy that loves his gadgets that actually do something, hence the interest. :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
well i bought 1.. Ill let you know if its worth it.
Actually.. they have 3 models..

The older model is about $129

No auto-levelling.. non-upgradeable.. older software

The newer models

Gtech Pro SS $250

Upgradeable.. lots of newer features, newer software

Gtech Pro RR $350

Same as SS, but includes road racing logging feature and more screens, includes pc interface cable and software.

In fact the RR has ET run profile files which I can compare across 4 different vehicles. It also has a road racing datalogging mode that will track laps around a circuit. The $350 pays for all the development time to design and test the product and provide the software to ensure that people can rely on these numbers to compare vehicles.

Alot of people claim to be able to build these devices much cheaper and better than the Gtechs (From Tesla).. They claim much better designs, software, etc. But ultimately, even after all these years.. I don't see anybody with anything remotely marketable (all talk), and Gtechs are pretty much still selling like hotcakes (Although I have seen a new new manufactures making car performance computers).

For most individuals, for items which they do not have an expertise in, they would rather purchase an off the shelf proven system than a DIY patch job that might not even work properly or if it does whether or not it is accurate)
[Image: svtfocusavatar1.jpg]

99 Mustang V6 Coupe Perf.Red w/MachAudio+TC
00 Mustang GT Coupe Perf.Red /MachAudio+Leather+TC
* 03 SVT 5dr Infra-Red Focus w/ Audio+Sunroof+WinterPkg
06 Mustang GT 'Vert w/ Shaker1K+IUP+ICA (~04/06)

* = (Current Ride)
we were using the gtech pro. the only feature I used was the 1/4 mile. Not sure how good the other feature are.