Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Won I Won!
haha I got lucky and won a Sony Xplod system but now I need some help. I'm not all that educated in ICE. Here is what I won...

2 x 12" Xplod Component Subwoofer , XSL122P5

2 x 6 x 9" 3-Way Speakers, XSV6940H

1 x Class D Mono Amplifier - 800W, XMDS1300P5

1 x CD Receiver/Changer Controller/MP3 Player, CDXF7705X

uh so... is this stuff good?

So I presume I need to get some front speakers to complete the package. I'd probably consider trading in one of the sub's for those... I don't think I want two 12's pounding thru me, or maybe I do, i don't know.

I guess I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do, how to do it, and how much it would cost. ie. sub box or custom, how much difference is there and cost etc... What else would I need? I need something to fill the space from the existing huge deck in the dash etc...

So any help would be great! I really don't have too much cash to spend on ICE but I figure since I won all this I might as well do something lol :ph34r:
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
Congratulations. Some would argue that Sony isn't that great, but in my books, anything free is good!!

Personally I think you should keep both subs, but you'll have to trade out the 6x9's unless you wanna do some cutting... the focus has space for a 5x7... this is actually good, because you can sell the 6x9's and buy a pair of good speakers or even components for the front...

As for install and whatnot it's easy and I'd be happy to give you a hand anytime I'm down in London. Some things you'd need to get the job done:

- Amp wiring kit/25'+ of 4 ga wire, another 6' for ground... an inline fuse... ah it's easier to buy a kit... (~$50 - $100)

- Dash kit for the focus to reduce it from double down to single din... people like Jay have made their own which looks nice... they fibreglassed the opening on the dash down to a single din... but you can just get away with using just a dash kit then you have a pocket to hold a CD or two ($25)

- Wiring harness adaptor & antenna adaptor... unless you wanna cut and splice stock wiring... this is a little harness that plugs into the stock one, then you just match up the wires from the deck to the harness by colour. ($20)

- Material/time for sub box construction. Here you have to decide whether you want trunk space or sound. If the first is your answer, 2 choices are yours. Either a built-in... where you fiberglass a box to go with the contour of your trunk... or a removable box which can be sealed or ported... great sound quality... plus it can be taken out whenever you need the space (i.e. ifyou go camping)... If sound is the way you wanna go...then consider a permanent fiberglass box custom made for the trunk, or a false floor setup, whereby your sub takes up the space once dedicated for your spare tire... although the latter of these leaves you with trunk space, you have reduced functionality, because where are you gonna keep your donut??? (This can cost anywhere from $50 - several hundred, depending on the job you do)

Again, congrats
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Toss it up on ebay and roll your earnings into another brand.

But if you want..... Put the stuff in.

FREE I.C.E. IS BETTER THAN NO I.C.E.
Free ICE is definitely sweet lol Thanks boyz I thought about ebaying it but it would probably cost more than I would spend to upgrade. It's not as if I"ll be going into any audio competitions or anything. As far as the things I'd need to set this system up... and idea on dollar amounts - wires, deck space filler thingy (I read this is the technical term :P :rolleyes: ) etc...

Forgot to mention... I really like a clean and useable trunk. so I was wondering if it's worth trying to install the new sub(s) on the side(s) where the existing one is...

and of course, if anyone is interested in the original 6 disc changer and the amp/sub combo that came with the SVT it is up for grabs.

Keep the input coming fellas! :ph34r:

Thanks
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
^^^ Free is GOOD!

Princess Auto has a cood 4 Gauge Wire kit for an AMP, has power wire, fuse, remote wire, shielded RCA's. $50.

I would also suggest some 8 Gauge to wire up the deck right to the batt.

So pretty much same as raine said.
Congrats on the win. Ya Sony isn't the greatest but it will sound better than the stock system. The only thing I would be wary about is Sony's unreliability. You could keep the subs, sub amp, and deck. Actually the deck looks pretty good.

DECK

SUBS

SUB AMP

The only thing you need to get now are some better front speakers. You can either get components up front (the tweeter is separate from the cone) which sound better, or you can get just 5"x7" or 6"x8" (these fit in the same hole). You will probably need a small two channel amp also to run these front speakers so that the subs don't drowm out the speakers. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

OH AND BY THE WAY WHEN YOU COME DOWN GIVE ME A SHOUT I'D LOVE TO HELP ALSO!
Raine,Feb 16 2005, 11:23 AM Wrote:Congratulations. Some would argue that Sony isn't that great, but in my books, anything free is good!!

Personally I think you should keep both subs, but you'll have to trade out the 6x9's unless you wanna do some cutting... the focus has space for a 5x7... this is actually good, because you can sell the 6x9's and buy a pair of good speakers or even components for the front...

As for install and whatnot it's easy and I'd be happy to give you a hand anytime I'm down in London. Some things you'd need to get the job done:

- Amp wiring kit/25'+ of 4 ga wire, another 6' for ground... an inline fuse... ah it's easier to buy a kit... (~$50 - $100)

- Dash kit for the focus to reduce it from double down to single din... people like Jay have made their own which looks nice... they fibreglassed the opening on the dash down to a single din... but you can just get away with using just a dash kit then you have a pocket to hold a CD or two ($25)

- Wiring harness adaptor & antenna adaptor... unless you wanna cut and splice stock wiring... this is a little harness that plugs into the stock one, then you just match up the wires from the deck to the harness by colour. ($20)

- Material/time for sub box construction. Here you have to decide whether you want trunk space or sound. If the first is your answer, 2 choices are yours. Either a built-in... where you fiberglass a box to go with the contour of your trunk... or a removable box which can be sealed or ported... great sound quality... plus it can be taken out whenever you need the space (i.e. ifyou go camping)... If sound is the way you wanna go...then consider a permanent fiberglass box custom made for the trunk, or a false floor setup, whereby your sub takes up the space once dedicated for your spare tire... although the latter of these leaves you with trunk space, you have reduced functionality, because where are you gonna keep your donut??? (This can cost anywhere from $50 - several hundred, depending on the job you do)

Again, congrats
[right][snapback]86803[/snapback][/right]

Thanks Raine... maybe in the next month or two I'll head your way with a case of beer some equipment?? :) I'd love the help! Thanks man
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
MAlby7,Feb 16 2005, 11:42 AM Wrote:Congrats on the win.  Ya Sony isn't the greatest but it will sound better than the stock system.  The only thing I would be wary about is Sony's unreliability.  You could keep the subs, sub amp, and deck.  Actually the deck looks pretty good.

DECK

SUBS

SUB AMP

The only thing you need to get now are some better front speakers.  You can either get components up front (the tweeter is separate from the cone) which sound better, or you can get just 5"x7" or 6"x8" (these fit in the same hole).  You will probably need a small two channel amp also to run these front speakers so that the subs don't drowm out the speakers.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.

OH AND BY THE WAY WHEN YOU COME DOWN GIVE ME A SHOUT I'D LOVE TO HELP ALSO!
[right][snapback]86811[/snapback][/right]

Wicked, thanks... great help fellas.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
woooohooooo... a 'free audio' install meet anyone?
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
Anytime bud. You name the date, I'll take the day off work. And Malby is only in woodbridge. A few beers and 3 guys? We'll have the car pounding in no time.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
If I'm in the London Area then I can help out with some glassin if you need be!!
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
i'm always up for an audio install :D unless im doing my own :lol: damn mine is gonna take a long time.

but as for the subs. you can probably install them in the sides of your trunk using minimal fiberglass. there are some how-tos on focaljet showing the dimensions of the sides of the trunk. If you dont want to do too much fiberglassing the best way would be to use wood to make the front of the box. and then mold and glass the boxes to the side of the trunk, that way you gain more airspace for the subs, and if youre an inexperienced 'glasser there wont be very much showing
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I would love to take part in this.

Even just to watch.
ok count on me too for the install...!!! ;)
00 DAKOTA R/T.......I just didnt like the torque of the Focus thats all...!!!
its a good deck, my freind has and he loves it!
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
scoobasteve,Feb 16 2005, 12:25 PM Wrote:i'm always up for an audio install  :D  unless im doing my own :lol:  damn  mine is gonna take a long time.

I know that feeling three months to get the cavy done right (including remoter start). Im sure the Foci will consuming too, but if there is an install meet count me in.

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
AWESOME BOYZ... ok so the beer is on me!! I"m gonna do a little research and try to nail down a date in the near future... so I'll repost in this thread to let you all know

yeeeeehaaaaaw THUMP THUMP lol :P
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
Hey carey. I hate you. lol. Its the total karma coming back to even things out from all the poker nights. ;)

ha ha ha ha. Congrats. I like the deck.
Run your car, not your mouth
" like totaly SWeeeT" Man!
"Focus On The Road!"
I Love My Liquid Grey 2007 Focus ZX3 SE

Next: tint, front & rear bumpers...
that extra weight is going to slow you DOWN man :lol:
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]