Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security Codes On Keys Cracked?
From http://www.thecarconnection.com

Those transponder-based security chips implanted in some car keys as a security device may have met their match. The Associated Press reports that researchers at Jonhs Hopkins University have found a way around the immobilizer units, which use the electronic components to bar thieves from starting and stealing vehicles. The team studying the security devices says a relatively inexpensive electronic device could obtain the information needed to bypass the chips. The specific radio-based units that could be overridden are featured on more than 150 million vehicles made by Ford, Toyota, and Nissan; the systems are similar to those found at some gasoline stations that allow customers to wave a fob at the pump, automatically charging the total to a credit card on file. The Hopkins researchers say they've cracked those devices too - but experts put the likelihood of thieves committing thefts by the school's methods low.
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
how do you break the gas pump cards ... free gas!
ZX3T gone..
Does this mean someone might steal my car?

I'll make things easier.

The keys will be in the ignition.
if you are lucky enough.. the key will be STUCK in the ignition (see other thread)
ZX3T gone..
I'd leave the keys in the ignition of the running Focus but the stupid doors randomly lock themselves with no input from me. Just like that time I exited the running vehicle to reattach the antenna after a car wash.

I love carrying two sets of keys everywhere. :rolleyes:
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Feb 1 2005, 01:46 PM Wrote:I'd leave the keys in the ignition of the running Focus but the stupid doors randomly lock themselves with no input from me. Just like that time I exited the running vehicle to reattach the antenna after a car wash.

I love carrying two sets of keys everywhere. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]82506[/snapback][/right]

I used to keep a second key wired under the bumper of my old Sunfire. :lol:

I forgot to tell the guy who bought it.

I'll bet it's still there! :lol:
BerinG,Feb 1 2005, 01:44 PM Wrote:if you are lucky enough.. the key will be STUCK in the ignition (see other thread)
[right][snapback]82449[/snapback][/right]

Har dee har har... lol
Run your car, not your mouth
Why do universitys even waste their time......
Theives know how to undo immobilizers on all cars that have them 'other' ways.

This is nothing new. Nothing at all.

Although the gas pump thing is rather interesting, but its simple science, anyone with some knowledge on how electronics and radio waves work could easily build such a device.

Ben... Calling Ben... :P
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.