Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Cold Starts > Me
Sooo... we went to the movies and watched National Treasure. It's better than most reviews would have you believe. I was actually, literally, on the edge of my seat... I couldn't wait to see what happened next! Combine that with the largest root beer Galaxy sells, and well I would have blew Donovan Bailey's (Ben Johnson's? :blink: ) doors off running to the can afterwards.

Anyways... I'm exhausted, we had eaten at Greco's for dinner and we were both severely stuffed. We got home and I forgot to plug in the car!

I went out to finally start it at 3PM after hoping it had warmed up some through the day. Mmmm nope. Went from -29C to -27C. Crap. However, it started in 5 cranks. Never stumbled or stalled. Needless to say when we got home this evening the block heater was connected as soon as I parked :lol:

Once again, the wondercar surprises me. The last time I tried the "super cold start" stunt was -38C with my old Tempo... and that resulted in the gas and the oil "getting friendly". Not fun :angry:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
That is one thing the Focus always starts in the cold mind you I think that is the case with any car built in the past 15 years, there are just so much better than they used to be (provided the battery is OK).

I've still got a tin of that "carburator spray" crap still kicking around somewhere.

I've got the Focus plugged in too (with timer), were going to be minus 20 something "down south" here. I don't have a garage per se.

It was minus 15 or so today and to cap it off my neighbourhood, and only my neighbourhood, was blacked out all morning. Lit a fire (in fireplace) and flashed up the camp stove (outside) to make coffee. Blackouts sure are a lot more kid friendly since they put DVD players in laptops!!!
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
at what temperature does a block heater become 'necessary' and not just 'nice to have' for a gasoline engine car?
naz,Dec 20 2004, 01:54 AM Wrote:at what temperature does a block heater become 'necessary' and not just 'nice to have' for a gasoline engine car?
[right][snapback]75427[/snapback][/right]

The owners manual (not that anyone (other than me) reads it) says anytime the temperature at starting is <minus 5*C.

I can't say that I am religious about it but "whenever practical" as in at home I try to do so around -10*C but obviously you cant do a thing at say a work parking lot.

Don't forget to tap your hood in case a cat is sleeping near your engine. I'm not a vegetarian myself but shudder to think of the expense to un-wrap "critter" from a serpantine belt????????????

I wonder if darkpuppet went for a ride today? (Vortech issues)
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Hey Nos ... did you have your focus last winter in North Bay when the temps hit a chilly -54°C? If so, how did it start then?
Below Average Car Club
2001 ZTS - thanks for the cat reminder! I never thought of that one...

Naz - I've always plugged in the car when the temps go below -15C. That's my comfort zone, personally. If it's -20 and not windy, I tend to not plug in. If it's a snow storm and -10, I might plug in anyways. 2001 - I'll have to check my PDF version of the manual for that tidbit, I hope it's in there!

Schade - I got the car at the end of February this year, so no, I didn't. However, given it's -32C here before windchill... I guess we'll see how the block heater in my '01 holds out so far! I'm parked nose-down on a driveway, partially shielded by some brush (south side of driveway). No garage for me till we buy a house next year :(

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
2001 ZTS,Dec 20 2004, 02:02 AM Wrote:The owners manual (not that anyone (other than me) reads it) says anytime the temperature at starting is <minus 5*C.

[right][snapback]75431[/snapback][/right]

i never once used the block heater in my focus.. the old loyale and my beater VW don't have heaters.. and all three of those vehicles lived through temps colder than -20C.. so that's quite a large safety margin built into the owner's manual recommendation?

when i read NOS comment about his tempo and the engine failure that the cold start caused.. i'm wondering.. at what point should a person not even bother trying to start a car if it hasn't been block heated.. also.. i thought 5W30 is rated to flow up to -40C or something like that, so why is the heater needed?

i'm just curious, i don't doubt using a block heater is 'good' for the motor somehow.. but does anyone have any more tech on this?
naz,Dec 20 2004, 05:09 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Dec 20 2004, 02:02 AM Wrote:The owners manual (not that anyone (other than me) reads it) says anytime the temperature at starting is <minus 5*C.

i never once used the block heater in my focus.. the old loyale [right][snapback]75511[/snapback][/right]

The Loyale did in fact have a heater (I thought I showed you?) not a block (coolant heater) but rather an oil pan heater. Essentially it was a big resistor (heat element) epoxied to the oil pan that I plugged in when I remembered. It was an "aftermarket part" installed by "Jiffy Lube" or eqivalent.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
I'm workin midnights right now so my car was parked all day and when I went to start it tonight at 10:15 it didn't want to start. Sounded like it didn't have enough juice and staled. Turned it over again and gave a little gas and she started up. I think I'm gonna have to look at a new battery soon. I knew it was going to be F'N cold out today so I should have plugged it in. I've also noticed a little whine it almost sounds like on a cold start all the time now. Possible Belt issue??
2000 ZX3 - H&R Sport Springs, Fast Wheels, Kumho Tires, MOMO Shift Knob and Boot, Shortened Shifter, K&N Cone Filter
Last winter when we had that -40 to -50 weather for that week and 1/2 the Focus started no prob. I felt sorry for all the ppl who had to get there car towed home LOL.
Well I am glad to hear that Focus's like the cold cuz I know my tempo sure didn't this morning. Took forever even with it plugged in to get that biatch to start. Then after it started, it stalled...so I had to restart it and keep the gas pressed and hold it at 1750 RPM until it warmed up a bit...

Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.
2001 ZTS,Dec 19 2004, 08:02 PM Wrote:Don't forget to tap your hood in case a cat is sleeping near your engine. I'm not a vegetarian myself but shudder to think of the expense to un-wrap "critter" from a serpantine belt????????????

A friend of mine last year was at a mall and these 2 girls were waiting for a towtruck for their car.. he asked if he could help and they told him no. There was a cat mangled in the belt.. I wouldnt wan to be the guy trying to clean that up!

Sort of like the snake in the RSX engine bay pictures that were on the net lately..
sti intercooler behive .. rings a bell as well.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
2001 ZTS,Dec 20 2004, 05:46 AM Wrote:The Loyale did in fact have a heater (I thought I showed you?)
[right][snapback]75522[/snapback][/right]

you probably did.. it didn't need it.. it started fine.. even after a rod bearing went it still started up fine
I definitely noticed a MUCH easier start-up this morning. The coolant was definitely hot enough to start delivering window-clearing heat within 3 minutes of starting at -35C. Not bad at all.

-26 Last night....started tickity boo.....but damn...the transmission sure is sticky for about 10 km.
naz,Dec 20 2004, 07:53 AM Wrote:......... even after a rod bearing went it still started up fine
[right][snapback]75540[/snapback][/right]

rod bearing bah, frivilous luxury item who needs em?

:lol:
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
:lol:

-43 here with windchill this morning.

roomate drives a 1996 Toyota Corolla, wont start

Sister also called me. 1992 BMW 318is. Wont start.

$500 dolla winta beatah. No problem. ;) :P

So I drove people to work this morning and decided to stay in, enjoy the heat, and work from home.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Started no problem today from inside of my garage. :)

The thing I had to watch out for was the sewer grates. It was so cold that the steam escaping from the sewer was turning into snow. A mini snow squal at every grate. :o
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
haha my 1993 Acclaim started... I thought the battery was gonna crap out on me. but it started no problem.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Focus Rs Production Starts konafocuswrc 31 7,937 02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Last Post: NikiterZTS