Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sct Flasher
Hey guys, sorry for the delay.

Neither the SCT nor Diablo is better for "dummy's". They are both SIMPLE to use. Simply put, the SCT products, software and values are FAR superior to that of Diablo, or any other competitors. The research, and development the programmers, tuners and engineers put into this stuff is insane.

All of our tunes are safe, especially mail order tunes (always tuned on the safer side). If you want, custom on dyno tuning is available at additonal cost. If you come to the shop to get a chip, pick it up, etc, we install it, take your car on a quick drive with you to verify the tune. No car has ever left the shop with an unsafe tune. We have the most up to date data logging and tuning software.

We have the fastest and highst HP mustangs in Canada and have gotten our tuning rep for a reason. Tuning a focus is no different, with the exceptions to a few parameters. Our goal is not to tune for HP, but to tune for drivability, reliability and efficency. Whatever numbers come with it, do. I would rather have a car survive for 10years then make 20hp more then the next guy and blow up 2 days later

I am not taking away any credit from other Tuners, simply mentioning where we stand in the mix of the tuning game. Focuses are still somewhat new to us, but the same went for stangs, trucks, tbirds, etc at a certain time in our existance

The 9300 Xcalibrator will be able to read and clear trouble codes and it will come with a "standalone" pc software called quicktune that allows the customer to make minimal changes to the tune written and provided to him/her by the tuner.

Black 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe
11.1 @ 122
550RWHP 511RWTQ SAE
Tuned by Paul Meister @ Steeda.ca
http://www.steeda.ca
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tdot-zx3,Nov 3 2004, 11:33 PM Wrote:So neither of these systems have the true features of a standalone?

Knowing nothing about either systems Ive learnt 0 reading through all this except praise on ones part because who is backing the product.

Maybe features should be listed side by side.
What features of the stand alone do you mean?

Hey Paul, I know you're in the middle of exams :o but any chance you could list a few comparisons by feature of the tuning software (ie 4Bank technology vs. blah blah and what is the benefit). Don't forget guys that we're talking about two things here... the flasher and the tuning software. The flasher is just a box and a couple buttons/LEDs. The meat and potatoes is the tuning software and the tuner.

This kind of information would be another great sticky.

I confirmed with Pat that we have 5 units on order. Tentatively we are planning to dyno tune my car on Nov. 12th so after that we'll be able to post some numbers.

Carey
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
SCT Technology is the only one that uses 4 bank technology, Diablo uses 2. SCT comes with better value files for a better horse power gain, improved drivability, etc and Diablo is missing some of these parameters.

A tuner has more control over the EEC with SCT's software then a tuner using Diablo.

The main benefir to having a tuner use SCT is the quality of the tune. You will notice more power, better driveability with an SCT program over Diablo but at the end it is all who you want to tune your car and what they use.

The standalone software on your PC allows you to open the tune I have written and make small changes like turning off o2 sensors, SMALL timing adjustments, small adjustments to the transfer functions, etc.
Black 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe
11.1 @ 122
550RWHP 511RWTQ SAE
Tuned by Paul Meister @ Steeda.ca
http://www.steeda.ca
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok but its not all the same features as the SCT Pro is it? its only basic features?
ZX3T gone..
Couple things I should mention.

Is Steeda.ca saying they can get a better tune with the SCT that Tom can with the Diablo...with the relatively no experience tuning the Focus?

I would think Tom, who has Focus and Mustang experience..LOTS of experience..would be knowledgeble on the issue.

you're making it out to be a magical product that given the same car will have more HP with the SCT....

I'd like to see that.
SCT may have more features but you could get a very good tune with the diablo im sure.. has what it needs
ZX3T gone..
Jays2000ZX3,Nov 4 2004, 11:52 AM Wrote:Couple things I should mention.

Is Steeda.ca saying they can get a better tune with the SCT that Tom can with the Diablo...with the relatively no experience tuning the Focus?

I would think Tom, who has Focus and Mustang experience..LOTS of experience..would be knowledgeble on the issue.

you're making it out to be a magical product that given the same car will have more HP with the SCT....

I'd like to see that.
Me to, I was trying to hold myself back, but I havent been impressed at all with Steeda. I tried ordering there SCT Flasher with just a couple of custom tunes on it .....emails back and forth for a month. Didnt even seem like they knew what they were talking about in regards to the focus.

Called Tom, bam! Software was in the mail the next day......and after dealing with Steeda, I feel much more comfortable buying from Tom since he has the experience tuning Foci's.

This, of course is just my personal experience with Steeda, sharing my experience...I'm sure lots have changed since then....

It's just your making this sound like its as good as the SCT Pro, which its not. From what I can tell, this thing does everything Tom and Diablo can do.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
to be as good as SCT pro would be to bring in the car in and put it on dyno and tune it from there.. and still, to the customer, would be limited
ZX3T gone..
Jays2000ZX3,Nov 4 2004, 11:52 AM Wrote:Is Steeda.ca saying they can get a better tune with the SCT that Tom can with the Diablo...with the relatively no experience tuning the Focus?
Hold the phone here guys :rolleyes: that's never been implied. Look, you asked for details on the sct flasher and they were given. Then you asked for some comparisons between the two tuning software packages and they were given. Now you ask if we think we're better than
Tom (or at least the end product). What gives here? The answer is that we feel the SCT software is superior to the Diablo... period.

"I am not taking away any credit from other Tuners, simply mentioning where we stand in the mix of the tuning game. Focuses are still somewhat new to us, but the same went for stangs, trucks, tbirds, etc at a certain time in our existance"

I trust that answers your question Jay.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
BerinG,Nov 4 2004, 11:54 AM Wrote:SCT may have more features but you could get a very good tune with the diablo im sure.. has what it needs
Absolutely, they are both capable of delivering a good tune.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
Flofocus,Nov 4 2004, 12:01 PM Wrote:Me to, I was trying to hold myself back, but I havent been impressed at all with Steeda. I tried ordering there SCT Flasher with just a couple of custom tunes on it .....emails back and forth for a month. Didnt even seem like they knew what they were talking about in regards to the focus.

Called Tom, bam! Software was in the mail the next day......and after dealing with Steeda, I feel much more comfortable buying from Tom since he has the experience tuning Foci's.

This, of course is just my personal experience with Steeda, sharing my experience...I'm sure lots have changed since then....

It's just your making this sound like its as good as the SCT Pro, which its not. From what I can tell, this thing does everything Tom and Diablo can do.
I would like very much if you could pass me the details of what happened in an email. When did this occur? There is no doubt about there being changes ;)

Where did we imply it's as good as the SCT Pro?
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
BrooksZX3,Nov 4 2004, 02:02 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Nov 4 2004, 12:01 PM Wrote:Me to, I was trying to hold myself back, but I havent been impressed at all with Steeda.  I tried ordering there SCT Flasher with just a couple of custom tunes on it .....emails back and forth for a month.  Didnt even seem like they knew what they were talking about in regards to the focus.

Called Tom, bam!  Software was in the mail the next day......and after dealing with Steeda, I feel much more comfortable buying from Tom since he has the experience tuning Foci's.

It's just your making this sound like its as good as the SCT Pro, which its not.  From what I can tell, this thing does everything Tom and Diablo can do.
I would like very much if you could pass me the details of what happened in an email. When did this occur? There is no doubt about there being changes ;)

Where did we imply it's as good as the SCT Pro?
My discussions were all with the email addy meister@steeda.ca.

Doesnt matter anyways, I got my tune now...Im happy.

If you really want the details, I've kept all emails just incase this would happen. PM me for info. :)
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Thanks bud, you have a pm.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
that's funny.. I thought this box was a replacement to the SCT Pro Racer package from what I read here... I'll have to go read up on it a bit more at SCT (I don't really care, because I have the pro racer package I'm having too much fun with).

From personal experience, shops who specialize in mustangs and imports shouldn't be let near the pro-racer package... not sure if any of you were there when the solution to my problem with the cobra MAF was that I wasn't running a calibrated MAF (and then they proceeded to put the calibrated cobra electronics into the Cobra MAF housing)..

or that my commanded airfuel tables needed to be changed (this is your problem, your a/f tables are all .86 ... it needs to be 12.6 (um, that' lambda boys)...

and to call up a mustang shop to see about getting dyno tuning to have them explain that they blew up one of the shop guy's focuses as they tried their 1st hand at tuning it.

shiver I can screw up just as well on my own thank you very much!

even the modular depot tune wasn't the greatest... changes to improve driveability were to return the spark on decel to stock (waaay high spark = jerky decel), and increase the idle to 800RPM (rattle be gone).

but with the luck I've been having with parts working, not working on other people's recommendations (including Turbo Tom), you'll have to excuse me if I'm not skeptical of EVERYONE.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

good post darkpuppet.
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
darkpuppet,Nov 4 2004, 04:02 PM Wrote:that's funny.. I thought this box was a replacement to the SCT Pro Racer package from what I read here...
wow... did you read all the posts Steve?

First the topic reads SCT Flasher
Second "Yes the SCT flasher holds up to 3 programs as well as the factory tune"
Third "I think it's also important to distinguish between to notions here... The tuning is performed by a TUNER, using their proprietary software. That program is saved and loaded into the flashing device (XCalibrator). The flashing device hooks up to the computer and installs the program. The DRIVER can switch between the different programs by a dial."
Fourth "Don't forget guys that we're talking about two things here... the flasher and the tuning software. The flasher is just a box and a couple buttons/LEDs. The meat and potatoes is the tuning software and the tuner"

I appologize if I come off strong here Steve but sheesh... Here are Meister's comments regarding stand alone.

(in ref to the newest unreleased model as mentioned) "The 9300 Xcalibrator will be able to read and clear trouble codes and it will come with a "standalone" pc software called quicktune that allows the customer to make minimal changes to the tune written and provided to him/her by the tuner"

"The standalone software on your PC allows you to open the tune I have written and make small changes like turning off o2 sensors, SMALL timing adjustments, small adjustments to the transfer functions, etc."

So where exactly is the confusion? Sorry, I just feel as though I'm having to repeat myself... repeat myself... repeat myself...
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
darkpuppet,Nov 4 2004, 04:02 PM Wrote:but with the luck I've been having with parts working, not working on other people's recommendations (including Turbo Tom), you'll have to excuse me if I'm not skeptical of EVERYONE.
Considering what you've gone thru Steve, I couldn't imagine you wouldn't be :(

I know lots of us were hoping to see you out on the circuit showing off that boost... next year I hope!

Carey
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
darkpuppet,Nov 4 2004, 04:02 PM Wrote:and to call up a mustang shop to see about getting dyno tuning to have them explain that they blew up one of the shop guy's focuses as they tried their 1st hand at tuning it.
This was not Steeda.ca... FYI lol ;)
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
BrooksZX3,Nov 4 2004, 09:16 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Nov 4 2004, 04:02 PM Wrote:that's funny.. I thought this box was a replacement to the SCT Pro Racer package from what I read here...
wow... did you read all the posts Steve?

well, here's where my reasoning comes in

Quote:First the topic reads SCT Flasher

like that little blue thing that came with my pro racer package?

Quote:Second "Yes the SCT flasher holds up to 3 programs as well as the factory tune"
Once again that little blue thing with the arrows and screen that comes with the pro-racer package?

Quote:Third "I think it's also important to distinguish between to notions here... The tuning is performed by a TUNER, using their proprietary software.
tuning by software...like the pro-racer package?

Quote:That program is saved and loaded into the flashing device (XCalibrator). The flashing device hooks up to the computer and installs the program.
so I make my tune on the pro-racer package, and program into one of the 3 slots on my hand held flasher. Then flash the car via the OBDII port

Quote:The DRIVER can switch between the different programs by a dial."

if it's flashing via the OBDII port, the changing of tunes would be happening while the car is stopped, and the box is temporarily plugged in, right? and that means the dial is just a replacement for the arrows on the handheld flasher for the SCT Pro Racer package.

Does this eliminate the 6 minutes to flash the handheld unit, and then the other 6 minutes of reflashing the car?

Quote:Fourth "Don't forget guys that we're talking about two things here... the flasher and the tuning software. The flasher is just a box and a couple buttons/LEDs. The meat and potatoes is the tuning software and the tuner"

kinda like the pro-racer package....

Quote:I appologize if I come off strong here Steve but sheesh...  Here are Meister's comments regarding stand alone.

(in ref to the newest unreleased model as mentioned) "The 9300 Xcalibrator will be able to read and clear trouble codes and it will come with a "standalone" pc software called quicktune that allows the customer to make minimal changes to the tune written and provided to him/her by the tuner"

"The standalone software on your PC allows you to open the tune I have written and make small changes like turning off o2 sensors, SMALL timing adjustments, small adjustments to the transfer functions, etc."

So where exactly is the confusion?  Sorry, I just feel as though I'm having to repeat myself... repeat myself... repeat myself...

ok... so it's like the Pro Racer package, but with more limited software?

See, here's the thing.. I assumed that the SCT dealer tuning solution was basically the pro-racer package bundled with an open license and allowing the dealer to buy extra handheld flashers to program their cars.

Because I can do that. You buy a handheld flasher, and I can do a full custom tune.

That's why I could have sworn we were talking about a replacement for the pro-racer package, but there is one thing that meister did bring up, and that this new solution provides capability to make small adjustments... but no mention if this allows total control over the ECU, or just fine tuning of a subset of EEC functions?

which makes me ask the next question... If this is the Next Big Thing for shop dyno tuning, what makes it better than a shop license on the pro-racer package and a box of handheld flashers? I know it's great because it works with any ford ECU, but is that at the cost of total tuning flexibility?

please don't get me wrong, I'm not picking on you, or trying to be annoying.. the similarities between the two are real.

So when you compare the two side by side this new tuning solution is basically a limited pro-racer tuning package with a new handheld flasher that can do any ford car. This is good for those waiting for SVT tuning, and if the Diablo is the same thing... then I'd trust SCT over Diablo.

BrooksZX3,Nov 4 2004, 09:21 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Nov 4 2004, 04:02 PM Wrote:and to call up a mustang shop to see about getting dyno tuning to have them explain that they blew up one of the shop guy's focuses as they tried their 1st hand at tuning it.
This was not Steeda.ca... FYI lol ;)
haha.. very true, it was not steeda.ca .. it was another shop..