Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumble Noise
ive brought the car into campbell ford for a 2nd opinion.. i went out with the shop foreman for a drive..

he admitted that he didnt hear it, but also didnt believe it was related to my tires at all.. since the car is a manual transmission, he wanted to research it more with other cars.. so im waiting for a callback..

with regards to the warped rotor.. im somehow think this is my issue.. ever since ive been noticing this noise, ive also kinda noticed a decline in my mileage.. ive also noticed that i can no longer "coast" at any speed without an immediate drop in speed

like, i dont expect to keep my speed constant for very long, but we all know that if you take your foot off the gas, your car "should" roll at your current speed for a little before gradually slowing down.. i dont do much queensway driving anymore, but i do find it "hard" to keep the speedo at 100+

im driving to NYC in about 2 weeks.. im a little concerned.

flo >> how does a warranty refund work? or should i say, who gives my money back?

Now rockin a 06 ZX5 SES
StreetEdition,Jul 29 2009, 06:35 AM Wrote:with regards to the warped rotor.. im somehow think this is my issue.. ever since ive been noticing this noise, ive also kinda noticed a decline in my mileage.. ive also noticed that i can no longer "coast" at any speed without an immediate drop in speed
flo >> how does a warranty refund work? or should i say, who gives my money back?
[right][snapback]291876[/snapback][/right]

Wouldn't failing bearings also decrease your mileage and cause the "coast" problem?

A warranty refund usually only applies when your car needs a repair that would normally be covered by warranty but there is no Ford dealer around to do it. You pay for the repair and submit your invoice to Ford for a refund.

However ... usually Ford requires that you get it pre-approved by them before you go ahead and do it.

I doubt very much that Ford will give you a warranty refund on a repair that one of their dealers says isn't required ... even if the repair apparently fixes the problem.

I think what you're doing is best ... keep working to get a Ford tech to admit that they hear what you hear and then work with them to eliminate all the other BS.

If all else fails - you can go ahead and get the repair done ... and assuming that solves the problem you can go after Ford for a refund through CAMVAP ... you can search on CAMVAP and read my thread about how I went after Ford for a missing part on my 2004 ZTW and won.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
What part of town are you in? There are a few members in Ottawa, or who work in Ottawa (like me). We could go for a ride, and help determine if there is a noise or if you're crazy. :D

Oh, and for the record, I've had Campbell's do bearing work on mine. Then again, mine was actually grinding... :lol:
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
Our '04 wagon had it's left rear wheel bearing replaced at 55k under the drivetrain warranty. They also had to replace the abs sensor in relation to the failed bearing under warranty. That was at Terrace Ford in Burlington.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
Check the passenger side axle shaft intermediate shaft support bearing, have the dealership check with a set of chasis ears (special listening tools) that can pin point noise concerns
First year with a Foci ' 03 ZX5 Silver
Baby seat, Roush Exhuast, more performance mods to come
zx5chris,Aug 1 2009, 10:08 PM Wrote:Check the passenger side axle shaft intermediate shaft support bearing,  have the dealership check with a set of chassis ears (special listening tools) that can pin point noise concerns
[right][snapback]292033[/snapback][/right]
I am with Chris-I had the same problem. I thought it was bearings but it was the support bearing. It caused the front right tire to cup. I never noticed the cupping until I looked closer at the tire.
Pic of a cupped tire...
[Image: DSCF3791.jpg]
So what happened?
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
CanadaSVT,Jul 30 2009, 07:57 AM Wrote:Our '04 wagon had it's left rear wheel bearing replaced at 55k under the drivetrain warranty.  They also had to replace the abs sensor in relation to the failed bearing under warranty.  That was at Terrace Ford in Burlington.
[right][snapback]291947[/snapback][/right]

My rear bearing just went in a new set of drums. Don't let it go for to long or you may be into a bigger fix.

You never did say if the noise was coming from the front or the back. My noise from the back got progresivly louder over the 2 weeks I had the drums on there until one day all the needle bearings got spit out all over the Gardiner Expressway. Almost didn't make it off the road.

The noise started as a WaaWaa then just before it let go it was more like a steel garbage can was stuck under the car and all of this happened within a 30 minute time frame. Horrible sound. :o
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Here are my 2 cents

I have had my car fail twice because of the rear bearings and I'm sick of this, the car is 2001 with 115k and I will be doing my 3th wheel bearing replacement!!

The first time I had this problem I started to notice vibration problems and I though it was balance on the tires, I ran the car for 1 week and the vibration only got worse, how ever no noise at all which is strage, I raised the car and checked all the wheels and it turns out that the rear passenger side bearing got some how loose inside and the entire wheel looked like it would come out easy with a hard turn, that big nut that holds everything together to the spindle was Ok and tight but the bearing was just loose inside so there you go and had t replace 2 drums (best practice as I could replace only that damaged side). Some new drums usually come with the bearings pressed in, there are drums that do not come with the bearings but according to a Ford dealer it is best to by the drums with the bearings included as they say that pressing the bearings afterwards may damage the drum, go an figure that out but how do they do in on the assembly line in the first place. Anyways this first failure occurred 3 years ago.

The second failure I had just 2 weeks ago was because of regular brake maintenance, I noticed that the brake fluid level on the brake fluid deposit was getting lower and lower and faster every day it passed, so next step was find out where the leak is, inspected the fronts and found out that I needed to replace my front rotors and pads (I will never use cross drilled rotors again as the brake dust and derbis got stuck in to the holes and cause damage to the rotors themselves and the pads, that is a whole different topic long discussed in forums) along with new calipers as I've never replaced them since the car was new. Finished the fronts and went to the backs and found my leaking problem, the wheel cylinder on the rear driver side was gone and I found a mess in there!! Went to the other side and at the moment of pulling the drum BANG, the bearing broke and those drums just had only about 20k on them!! so this is my second rear wheel bearing failure.

The guy at next door is a service advisor at a Mazda dealer and he mentioned to me that he sees a lot of wheel bearing failures in their Mazda Protege and 3s which basically it is almost the same car as the Focus. So to "FIX" my problem I decided to upgrade my rear drum brakes to SVT disk brakes, at least with this setting I don't have to mess with the bearings when doing regular brake maintenance unlike the drums where you need to pull the whole thing out with the risk of damage to the bearings and spindle.

Not sure is some one else has had these problems or I just have had bad luck.

I think my issue was due to a poor quality bearing and a "slight" over torque of the centre nut. Now that I hve them both replaced and torqued within spec everything is nice and quiet. It was very scary having it let go an the Gardiner at 100kmh. When I pulled the wheel I had a hand full of roller bearings.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Focus man, Focus.,Aug 14 2009, 12:52 PM Wrote:I think my issue was due to a poor quality bearing and a "slight" over torque of the centre nut.  Now that I hve them both replaced and torqued within spec everything is nice and quiet.  It was very scary having it let go an the Gardiner at 100kmh.  When I pulled the wheel I had a hand full of roller bearings.
[right][snapback]292723[/snapback][/right]

Good luck with your second set of drums, hopefully they last longer than mines!!