Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Has Jurisdiction On The "freeway"
I've often wondered about this... as I understood it, only the OPP had Jurisdiction on Ontario "freeways" like the 400 series. Can metro cops stop you on the highway too? And who has the authority on the DVP, OPP or TO Cops?
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
I pass Halton cops all the time on the QEW doing 140 to thier 120. Never been pulled over by them.
Old enough to know me limit, yet young enough to exceed it.
I dunno...as long as I can remember cops have had the 'jurisdiction' to do whatever the fuk they want...

I dont think it matters where you are, if a cop wants to 'entrap you'...I mean book you...they'll do it wherever the hell they want and the justice system will allow that...

despite any 'laws or rules'///

..I don't come across as biased ..do I??
DVP, Allen & Gardiner are Toronto Police. Every other highway is OPP.

However unlike TV you can be pursued from one juristiction to another, it is not Dukes of Hazard where you "cross the county line". That said they will radio ahead for local police representation.

Local police will use OPP highways to get from A to B but aren't "on patrol". If they see something illegal they are obligued by law to respond. In practical terms they will not pull you over for "normal" speeding.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Oct 13 2004, 07:44 PM Wrote:DVP, Allen & Gardiner are Toronto Police. Every other highway is OPP.

However unlike TV you can be pursued from one juristiction to another, it is not Dukes of Hazard where you "cross the county line". That said they will radio ahead for local police representation.

Local police will use OPP highways to get from A to B but aren't "on patrol". If they see something illegal they are obligued by law to respond. In practical terms they will not pull you over for "normal" speeding.
Perfect. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks Andrew
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
No problem, I have all sorts of "cop buds" however, unfortunately, none of them know anybody or can pull weight in Traffic Division.

Believe me I have asked!
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
I once saw a truck fire on the 401 (at Leslie) at 03:00 a.m. while doing overnight deliveries and promptly called Toronto Police. When told of the location of the truck fire, he quickly snapped, "that's OPP!". However, five minutes later when I passed the scene again, there were several Toronto police cruisers there.

My first car accident back in 1987 was on Steeles Avenue. The first police on the scene was York Regional. Because we were eastbound, he said we would have to wait for Toronto Police. Had we been going westbound, it would have been York regional jurisdiction.
well seeing how I get to ask OPP's questions at work like everyday when they come in for coffees & donuts.

Quote:DVP, Allen & Gardiner are Toronto Police. Every other highway is OPP.

This is true, however, OPP can respond to any scene while they are on dutie if there are no other police in the area or on scene first & it warrents them to issue a stop for things like a car accident, or witnessing a crime happening, or something that would force them to get out of the car to uphold the laws.

North of Toronto, & other areas of Ontario that are smaller usually that don't have local / their own regional police departments. They have the OPP to be their "local" police, to up hold their laws & such.

OPP have juristriction over all highways throughout Ontario, In the GTA it's mainly left up to the local department for all things except for 400 series highways it's OPP only, or unless a major collision happens on the 401 that warrents the local department to respond first.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Yeah the OPP I know about... I was just wondering how far the reach of the Toronto cops stretches. Last night I was coming home on the 401 and there was a cop in front of me doing about 90 so I sped up and passed him, levelled off at about 110, and he pulled up behind me... so I maintained a speed between 110 and 120... and he just drove along quietly behind me... slowly falling back. I wasn't in the passing lane either... just the middle of the road.
2000 Black ZX3
microbunny,Oct 13 2004, 08:22 PM Wrote:I dont think it matters where you are, if a cop wants to 'entrap you'...I mean book you...they'll do it wherever the hell they want and the justice system will allow that...
Thats what my experiences have been so far. I hate da Po. :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
they can pull you over - if you give them a hard time they just call opp

and then beat your ass
focus gone - 2005 mazda 6 sport gt wagon - lovin it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Officially", the OPP have jurisdiction on "Provincial roads" ie 401, QEW, etc. and municipal cops on municipal roads (and highways, like the DVP, "The Link" in Hamilton and EC Rowe in Windsor).

Municipal cops USUALLY don't bother pulling anyone over on the highway because their salary is paid by the Municipality, their job is to serve the citizens of their municipality, not patrol Provincial highways. I'd be pissed if a cop was slow to respond to a 911 call at my Hamilton house because they were pulling over speeders on the 403.

HOWEVER, as law officers they DO have a duty to apprehend people committing criminal acts, so as far as reckless driving, DUI, etc, they will pull you over, if not to only hold you for the OPP.

And the previous poster is correct about not having to stay within jurisdictional boundaries. A neighbour once had an OPP follow him right to his house in Hamilton to give him a number of tickets. :o
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
OAC_Sparky,Jul 20 2005, 02:23 AM Wrote:"Officially", the OPP have jurisdiction on "Provincial roads" ie 401, QEW, etc. and municipal cops on municipal roads (and highways, like the DVP, "The Link" in Hamilton and EC Rowe in Windsor).

Municipal cops USUALLY don't bother pulling anyone over on the highway because their salary is paid by the Municipality, their job is to serve the citizens of their municipality, not patrol Provincial highways. I'd be pissed if a cop was slow to respond to a 911 call at my Hamilton house because they were pulling over speeders on the 403.

HOWEVER, as law officers they DO have a duty to apprehend people committing criminal acts, so as far as reckless driving, DUI, etc, they will pull you over, if not to only hold you for the OPP.

And the previous poster is correct about not having to stay within jurisdictional boundaries. A neighbour once had an OPP follow him right to his house in Hamilton to give him a number of tickets. :o
[right][snapback]123609[/snapback][/right]

yeah that's pretty much what I was told, RCMP are federal police they have jurisdiction anywhere in canada, OPP are provincial so they have jurisdiction province wide, regional police... well you get it. but like someone said they have to respond to something if they can and are in the area, it's their code of ethics I believe. Also RCMP and OPP have to ask before they just go gung-ho anywhere they want to, unless of course they just saw an accident, they don't need to call for permission...

someone correct me if I am wrong
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
whats with all these threads being resurrected from last year??

happening alot latley!!

Ive given up on them, cops can do whatever they want...
I wish my grass was Emo, so it would cut itself...
my friend got pulled over on 400 by MTO Copz. He got a big ticket too.
My other ride is your Mom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Put 2 Bottles Of "nos" In It...... habmann 12 5,698 05-24-2009, 02:54 AM
Last Post: 2001 ZTS
  "fusionator" Up For April Cotm NefCanuck 9 4,917 04-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck
  Student "pimpin' Hard" With Flowmaster.. fatphocus 6 3,185 04-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Last Post: ZX3_2NV
  "fusionator" Project Is A Go NefCanuck 43 22,510 02-21-2009, 04:24 AM
Last Post: reldridge
  2009 Changes For "the" Highway" ZX3_2NV 27 9,366 01-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Last Post: CanadaSVT
  Just For "sparky" 2001 ZTS 4 2,311 05-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Last Post: zx5power
  Big "e" Hangs Em Up SVT ZX3 19 7,148 11-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Last Post: ANTHONYD
  There's This Kind Of "art". NikiterZTS 12 3,254 09-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Last Post: D-Dub
  "24" Signs You Might Be A Canadian Frost__2001 6 2,534 05-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Who Else Has A Massive "to Do" List..... 2001 ZTS 35 7,948 04-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Last Post: torradan