Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satelite Radio
Yup, i'm enough of a Stern fan to go out and subscribe to Sirius. So now, i'm wondering about the particulars of subscribing. How do you sub to an american service? am i on my own for tech support because I'm in Canada?
Is there somewhere i can buy it local? ontario? both hardware and subscription? or am I making a trip to the US again?

Anyone with XM or Sirius, input would be appreciated.
ok..I used to have sirius for one year....call they do everything by phone with a credit card...thats all...
...SIRIUS BEST thing ever..!!! if you drive long enough or either get the kit that can be used in the car or home...Sirius is way better than XM..cause they have 100 commercial free channels...and the difference its like Us $3 a month or so...
go for it..if you like music that much...go ahead.
Also they have a good customer service...for tech supp...I never need it...you give them all the things they need to know(serial # and billing things..also car details) and the thing works for itself....Im about to reinstall it in my truck...just been lazy..

my 2 cents
00 DAKOTA R/T.......I just didnt like the torque of the Focus thats all...!!!
how do you get this in canada cause no place that I go to has it

Im from Ontario also
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
I'm looking through the website, I would definately buy a pnp unit, move it between the car and home. that'll be some $$ up front.

Will they ship it to me if i order over the hardware and sub over the phone?

what model do you have? what is your setup?
Geez, just read in the paper today, CBC and Standard Radio Broadcast are trying to bring Sirius here. No word if sterns station(s) will be part of the package.
This will likely be the end of a good thing in Canada. It will likely be regualted by the CRTC, and require the normal canadian content rules. Which means it won't really be Sirius. Much like our version of american tv satelite, a watered down clone. Same price, less content and the required 40% cancon of crud.

Perhaps american Sirius receivers catch and decode the american sat feeds whilst our canada receivers, catching the same 3 sats. will receive the friendly canadian feeds. Possible work around being to purchase a receiver across the border.
You can get Sirius Radio at most Heavy Truck retailers. You subscribe online. Use your address and just put in Bev Hills California zip 90210. Works fine. That is what I used. Don't put anything related to Canada. I can hook you up with a receiver, professional docking station for your car and a home docking kit for 220 cdn plus tax. That is my price from Ottawa Truck Centre, I will include the bill if you like. They also sell a boom box for it. Not sure how much that is. I saw it at Premiere Peterbilt for 238 plus tax for the receiver and mobile docking station.

It is the BEST thing I have ever bought for music. I listen to it all day everyday and there's lots of good stations in Ottawa that I used to listen to.

Howard Stern will only be coming to Sirius in Jan 2006.

You can sign up monthly, for a year or for 5 years. It was 142 bux USD for my 1 yr subscription.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
Bluetoy, do you know which brand the unit is?

Thanks for the suggestion on truck centres. My neighbor drives rigs, I'll ask him if he knows of any place local.
Otherwise you may be hearing from me.
Just heard Sirrus Radio in Ryan's (MP3wizard's) Car today. It sounds awesome, love the interface and the channel lineup. Apparently anyone with US Relatives can sign up if u use their address when you register.
My other ride is your Mom
j3rt,Oct 8 2004, 09:07 PM Wrote:Bluetoy, do you know which brand the unit is?

Thanks for the suggestion on truck centres. My neighbor drives rigs, I'll ask him if he knows of any place local.
Otherwise you may be hearing from me.
It's a Brix Streamer.

Prolly Is not a word
paolo,Oct 8 2004, 09:32 PM Wrote:Just heard Sirrus Radio in Ryan's (MP3wizard's) Car today. It sounds awesome, love the interface and the channel lineup.  Apparently anyone with US Relatives can sign up if u use their address when you register.
Actually you can use your own address. I did. I just put down California instead of Ontario and used the zip code 90210. I used my entire correct address, Except city and province.

Prolly Is not a word
cool, does mail still get sent to your house if u used the wrong ZIP/Postal code?
My other ride is your Mom
I have not gotten any mail from Sirius. Since there is no Mitch Owens rd in B.Hills I think I'm okay.

Prolly Is not a word
Brix unit looks alright. I like the blaupunk primarily, the blue display matches the cd changer display. However, i could get a sony headunit, to interface with the changer. So many options.

With the mail, can you choose not to receive any mail, say online bill payment and email notification, kinda like what rogers is doing, trying to cut down on paper billing?
j3rt,Oct 9 2004, 09:02 AM Wrote:Brix unit looks alright. I like the blaupunk primarily, the blue display matches the cd changer display. However, i could get a sony headunit, to interface with the changer. So many options.

With the mail, can you choose not to receive any mail, say online bill payment and email notification, kinda like what rogers is doing, trying to cut down on paper billing?
They can't send you mail because it is not supposed to be in Canada. You must pay by CCard and you should do it online.

Prolly Is not a word
Ok ..I never got a paper bill over there (used to live in Florida) but I received like info on changes of the channels, names etc...but you will find it on the website...
dunno if they still have the promo that you pay 1 year and they give you 3 months for free...call them and find out...its really cool.
I have a head unit Sirius ready from Kenwood KDC917..so I bought the satellite receiver and call...thats all..when you hook it up it'll show a message with a phone number...1 call away to be set.
good luck :)
00 DAKOTA R/T.......I just didnt like the torque of the Focus thats all...!!!
j3rt,Oct 8 2004, 03:50 PM Wrote:Geez, just read in the paper today, CBC and Standard Radio Broadcast are trying to bring Sirius here. No word if sterns station(s) will be part of the package.
This will likely be the end of a good thing in Canada. It will likely be regualted by the CRTC, and require the normal canadian content rules. Which means it won't really be Sirius. Much like our version of american tv satelite, a watered down clone. Same price, less content and the required 40% cancon of crud.

Perhaps american Sirius receivers catch and decode the american sat feeds whilst our canada receivers, catching the same 3 sats. will receive the friendly canadian feeds. Possible work around being to purchase a receiver across the border.
I remember them talking about this in decemeber of 03 but still havent heard anything of it. In the the papers did they post a definate date?
I drive a 2010 Golf that growls at people when it goes over 3000rpm.
D-Dub,Oct 14 2004, 07: Wrote:
j3rt,Oct 8 2004, 03:50 PM Wrote:Geez, just read in the paper today, CBC and Standard Radio Broadcast are trying to bring Sirius here.  No word if sterns station(s) will be part of the package.
This will likely be the end of a good thing in Canada.  It will likely be regualted by the CRTC, and require the normal canadian content rules.  Which means it won't really be Sirius.  Much like our version of american tv satelite, a watered down clone.  Same price, less content and the required 40% cancon of crud.

Perhaps american Sirius receivers catch and decode the american sat feeds whilst our canada receivers, catching the same 3 sats. will receive the friendly canadian feeds.  Possible work around being to purchase a receiver across the border.
I remember them talking about this in decemeber of 03 but still havent heard anything of it. In the the papers did they post a definate date?
[right][snapback]65655[/snapback][/right]

My dad has sirius, got it at the peterbuilt dealership here in stoon
knows the owner and stuff

they have a system where they have an address in the states or something they let you use, but you put your credit card #'s when ordering
something like that, can't remember exactly.

I like listening to it in his avalanche