Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sub Size?
I'm thinking of getting a sub, next summer possibly.
I'm wondering why I'd want a 10 or 12 inch sub?
I was thinking of 2 8inch, one on either side in the hatch area. I was thinking 8 for size and cost.
What am I losing by going with smaller subs?
A 12 inch sub is good enough for the focus. I got a low end 12" and it does exactly what I want. I plan on upgrading to an Alpine Type R thow and I know that thing is goign to pound... 2 10" subs sounds really good to. I actually like the sound of 2 10's over a 12..
To me, 10 or 12s just seem too big.
I have one 10 in my wagon and it's plenty... I don't like vibrating down the road, just an extra thump to the beat :D
02 Wagon: Cloud9 White - Short RAM air intake, MBRP Stainless Steel Exhaust, IMRC disabled, Clear Side Marker Lights, Front Upper Strut Bar, De-Badged, Tinted Windows.
get a huge 18" RE :P HAHAHAHAHA

any 10" sub does the job. im against using 2 subs now. i think its a waste.
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)
J man...

get a single 12..

I'll see yeh this weekend and show you my ultra-simple setup..

I've got a single 12... it's just perfect.. had two 10's before but they just don't get the same lows
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
hockeyman, got any pics?

wouldn't a sub on either side of the "trunk" area look better and symetrical?
I also have a single 12"
It is perfect in the focus. It's all you need.
My other ride is your Mom
It all depends on what you listen to.
If you need a tight responsive bass then just go with a 8" or 10" in a sealed box. If you need more of a deep bass than go with a 10" or 12" but in a ported box.
I had a 8" Rockford Fosgate tube in my ZX3 and it was enough for me.

Vito B)
Present: 2004 Mazda 3 GT Sedan
Titanium Grey, MTX, Brullen Exhaust
17" x 7" Enkei Evo 6 (Anthracite) with
Falken Ziex ZE-512

Previous: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3
with Jackson Racing Supercharger
j3rt,Oct 2 2004, 03:01 AM Wrote:hockeyman, got any pics?

wouldn't a sub on either side of the "trunk" area look better and symetrical?
Sorry man... none yet. Just have my box made and thrown in the back. I've seen another wagon on another board and I want to finish mine up similar to his install. Check out focusfanatics.com there is a photo gallery on there with a couple wagons. I'm trying to do a similar install as davydave. Check it out sometime.
02 Wagon: Cloud9 White - Short RAM air intake, MBRP Stainless Steel Exhaust, IMRC disabled, Clear Side Marker Lights, Front Upper Strut Bar, De-Badged, Tinted Windows.
davydave setup is nice, but also appears to take up a fair amount of space. There was a wagon owner who worked for boston accoustics and had a huge sub, (12 maybe) built into the side. It looked good but was also $$.

I'm not looking for load, as my hearing is already a little shot. Tighr responsive bass sounds like what i'm looking for. Not really into broadcasting to the neighborhood. And definately don't what a constant rumble or droning, I've got worn out tires for that, (and maybe an exhaust next summer too).

I'll definate check around the other sites.
well I'm just awaiting my carpet to come in... then I'll be finished my sub install. Figured I might as well finish up while the weather still holds out here in wpg.
you better get sum picks hockeyman!!! i do wanna see it, maybe we can meet up so i can hear it too.
*** 2000 Street Edition Sedan Album ***
(May Your New Owner Love You As I Did)
Well, I'm with you on the size, and also weight when it comes to big subs and sub boxes. Myself I have 2 10" subs in a small sealed box, but the box still dominates almost half of my hatch area. Some of the other guys here are right that one 12" is good for some slam, and is simple and cheap. Personally, I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my box in favour for a single 8" Bazooka NOS tube sub. I've seen a ZX3 at East Hamilton Radio with 2 of them, one on either side like what you suggested, and it was definately loud and deep, but it also had finesse and a nice tight thump at normal volumes. I think that one 8" Tube should give me the type of bass I want (SQ and low volume detail, low extension in-car). I managed 130.2db with my current system: stock headunit, stock 5x7's, 300w power acoustik amp ($149), 2 10" Power Acoustik subs ($89 each) and sealed box ($100), playing a normal music CD. For me, that kind of volume is too loud for when I'm driving. Oh yeah, another thing...that whole "advertising to the neighbourhood" effect that some car stereos have, that's done with 12" or bigger subs...the soundwave travels farther, that's why I like 8" and 10" subs...the bass tends to stay inside the car better. Hope I gave you some stuff to think about. :)
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Oh yeah, one more thing...my freind has a 2001 Tiburon with ONE 6.5" EL series self-powered Bazooka tube in his hatch...it sounds like he's got a 10" sub in a sealed box...it's that efficient...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I think i've decided to upgrade the doors only, find something with decent full range curve and leave it at that.
thanks for all the suggestions though.
I have a single 12 and it does me just fine.... and I'm picky.
I've got one ported 12 in my truck and it's way too much so I'm going to change it to a sealed 10. I've got a powered 10" bazooka tube in the Lexus because I don't want to loose any trunk space.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
My JL Audio 10W7 (10") is in a sealed box which I have the amp for it turned up only about 50% and I still can't listen to it with the windows closed!