Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front End Problem Help!
Well ever since I installed the front sway bar there's been a knocking in my steering wheel while going over bumps in the road. I know you guys are gonna say that I screwed up but I had 2 very knowledgeable mechanics helping me. When I got my alignment done a while back the guy told me I needed new tie rods, or tie rod ends, and a new spindle. My brother did hit a curb dead on in a parking lot last winter with my car. No damage to tire or stock rim though, so it wasn;t that hard. Can you guys take a guess as to what my problem is? Also how much am I looking at for parts (front right spindle, tie rod enf, and or tie rods)? Help me out guys
Hey Mike,

It sounds like the front end links. I had the same problem with my Focus. They changed the front end links and the upper strut mounts. That solved the problem.

Vito :)
Present: 2004 Mazda 3 GT Sedan
Titanium Grey, MTX, Brullen Exhaust
17" x 7" Enkei Evo 6 (Anthracite) with
Falken Ziex ZE-512

Previous: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3
with Jackson Racing Supercharger
Yah, I get my swaybar end links everytime I get an oil change, I'm 100% serious.

They last me about 2500 kms, then the noise comes back, and they say they just get loose again. :blink:
I had similar front end noise in my 2000. The dealer went as far as replacing the front struts under warranty (which made the noise go away for a few months, then it came back.) The noise finally went away when I had lowering springs installed and an alignment done.

There actually is a Ford technical service bulletin (TSB 03-20-2) regarding this front end noise. It came out after my dealer could not figure out the problem. It goes on to explain the proper torquing of the front end components.

Do a google search on this "TSB 03-20-2" and you'll find many references to this topic. HTH :unsure:
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
Vito: How much did it cost you?

Everyone else with the TSB: So I just show up at my dealer and mention TSB 03-20-2. Is this some kind of warranty work? Do I have to pay for it!
I think the TSB are directed to the technicians, so that they know how to remedy the problem when they come in to the dealer. If your car is under warranty they should repair the problem for free. After the warranty, since it is not a recall item, it depends on the dealer or how much you complain whether its chargable or not. From what I remember from the bulletin it appeared to be only labour involved in torquing various components to correct ft/lbs, probably 1 hr max. <_<
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
Hi Mike,

I only paid my deductible, since it was fixed under extended warranty.
I remember something around a $600.00 fix if I had to pair. I think they wrote about 4-5 hours worth of labour and then the parts. Remember I had the upper strut mounts changed also. You probable need just the end links which shouldn't be too much.

Vito B)
Present: 2004 Mazda 3 GT Sedan
Titanium Grey, MTX, Brullen Exhaust
17" x 7" Enkei Evo 6 (Anthracite) with
Falken Ziex ZE-512

Previous: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3
with Jackson Racing Supercharger