Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options To Keep Vortech Warm In The Winter
Well, as it turns out, some conversations on [fj] mention that vortech warns against cold starting the car in temperatures lower than 25F which is -3.9C

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhehehehehehe...

<ahem>

without a block heater or aftermarket warming blanket.

So what are my options for being able to keep the car warm when I actually take it outside in the winter? I need something that can warm the block (and subsequently the oil) in a reasonable amount of time (or keep it warm), and run without the need for hydro.

thoughts / suggestions? I'll cry if my focus turns into a 'summer car'... christ.. it's a fourdoor econobox

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Hate to say it.....get a winter beater :ph34r:

I know you didnt want to hear that, but with all the issues your having now and Vortech recommending no cold start-ups.....may be a good reliable choice to pick up a second car.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I thought you parked your car indoors? :huh:
Ya still gotta drive it to work and such though right...

Where does the problem exist with cold starts?

So you do already have a block heater? I know it requires electricity, but what other options do you have? Some VW's come with battery blankets, and I know they're available in the aftermarket, could that be laid over top of it or something?

It might just come down to a winter beater...or selling it altogether?
Ya might just have to splurge and buy a few cases of those hand warmer packets.

:P

<a href='http://www.heatmax.com/images/ORIGINALHOTHANDS.jpg'>[Image: ORIGINALHOTHANDS.jpg]</a>
Flofocus,Sep 30 2004, 04:23 PM Wrote:I thought you parked your car indoors? :huh:
yeah, I do park it indoors.. but that's at home... not at work.. not at the skihill or wherever else I'm going that isn't home or an underground garage.

I don't want to sell my car if I don't have to.. been through so much, and she's actually running alright right now... but if she won't work in the winter... man, that's a straw that breaks this camel's back.

I don't remember anything in my tuner transformation contract that says they'd dam the car up so it's useable only half the year... they DID the work at the tail end of winter. (thank god I never had it out in the blistering cold at that point)...

I need to avoid getting a winter beater if at all possible as well..because it's more money for parking, maintenance, etc... and then I have 2 cars to worry about, when I barely have time to worry about the one I have...

damnit... I'm not liking my choices.

01-yellow-ZX3,Sep 30 2004, 12:39 PM Wrote:Ya might just have to splurge and buy a few cases of those hand warmer packets.

:P

&lt;a href='http://www.heatmax.com/images/ORIGINALHOTHANDS.jpg'&gt;<a href='http://www.heatmax.com/images/ORIGINALHOTHANDS.jpg'>[Image: ORIGINALHOTHANDS.jpg]</a>&lt;/a&gt;
:lol:
har har...

maybe I just connect that thick red cable to some bare metal... or take the $20,000 still owing on the car and light a little fire to keep it warm...

There is a solution I saw it somewhere.....

I am on the case Tubby.
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub
IF you do get a second car...

Do you not have any freinds that could lend you the garage for the winter and keep the focus nice and warm for 4 months? That should save on Parking/mainteneance....
Flofocus,Sep 30 2004, 04:48 PM Wrote:IF you do get a second car...

Do you not have any freinds that could lend you the garage for the winter and keep the focus nice and warm for 4 months? That should save on Parking/mainteneance....
nah, I don't have friends with that large of a garage or charitable enough to kick their car out into the snow while mine hibernates in comfort. I'd end up paying hte $60/mo extra (yikes), and park it in my underground, and buy a car cover, and then spend all winter worrying that it's just too freakin' easy for punks to break into it without me knowing.

I wonder if using a winter oil like 0w30 would be beneficial? I need to call vortech and see, otherwise, I'll need to call the TT guys and see what they can do...

darkpuppet,Sep 30 2004, 01:15 PM Wrote:otherwise, I'll need to call the TT guys and see what they can do...
You sure thats a good idea? :huh:

EDIT: IF you do decide to buy a beater, let me know, I know a few people here that offer their garage for storage. Cheap to, it would come out to cheaper than $60/ for 4 months. Just little somethin somethin to keep in mind. ;)
Move out west. :lol: Only have to worry about the rain and the skiing is a lot better. :lol:
ZX3 Canuck,Sep 30 2004, 01:53 PM Wrote:Move out west. :lol: Only have to worry about the rain and the skiing is a lot better. :lol:
SO TRUE :lol:

Steve, you think IBM would send ya out West? :D

mmmmm....Jasper and Bannf National parks....Skiing at Lake Louise....living in Canadas richest province....

I may just have to make the move. B)
All these block heaters etcetera are 12VDC. You could get a &quot;deep cycle&quot; marine battery. You'd be charging it quite frequently and it will heavy as hell but it seems to be your best bet.

One of those portable chargers will do it to but you'll have to go pretty big.

EDIT: Find out how many Watts your heater is, its very expensive but you could go solar too. Maybe battery and a smaller solar panel is a good way to go?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Sep 30 2004, 06:11 PM Wrote:All these block heaters etcetera are 12VDC. You could get a &quot;deep cycle&quot; marine battery. You'd be charging it quite frequently and it will heavy as hell but it seems to be your best bet.

One of those portable chargers will do it to but you'll have to go pretty big.

EDIT: Find out how many Watts your heater is, its very expensive but you could go solar too. Maybe battery and a smaller solar panel is a good way to go?
that's what I was thinking... a 15watt solar panel is $150 from crappy tire...a battery.. tho heavy.. well, it's an option.. get an inverter, the marine battery, route it internally...and buy a cheap timer... and it's like bringing my own pit crew.

Though not quite as entertaining as lugging a portable generator, and having it chug away while I head off to the hills... :P

haha.. a 'typical' car block heater consumes 600 watts :o ... um, how long would a marine battery last?

haha.. a 'typical' car block heater consumes 600 watts :o ... um, how long would a marine battery last?

which equals 50~55 DC amps

and deep-cycle marine batteries can provide up to about 130 amp hours.

That's 2 hours at normal operating temps to keep the car toasty.

in colder weather... that might get an hour..which ain't much time for heating a frozen car up.

or I could buy 40 solar panels and build a solar dome around the car....

darkpuppet,Sep 30 2004, 06:34 PM Wrote:haha.. a 'typical' car block heater consumes 600 watts :o ... um, how long would a marine battery last?
P=VI

600W=12V*X

X=50A

The biggest deep cycle Crappy Tire sells is 103 Amp-hours. It will work for two hours in your case. Not looking good Steve. soory to get your hopes up.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Oil pre-heater?

I'm sure I've seen them before and may even have a link.

I'LL BE BACK
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mk...category=&CAT=1